Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 228094 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Official new people thread!
It's not strictly as important as the other stickied threads.

The thread itself might not be.  However I'd think the concept it embodies might be?  I 'unno, depends on your take on what it means etc etc.  :shrug:

One more probably doesn't hurt anybody

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The registration issues thread dates from 2013, discusses spam issues which I don't think even exist anymore, and links to IRC channels that barely anyone use at this point.  I think we can safely bump that one off and replace it with this.

Offline Nezkrul

Hello FS enthusiasts. I bought the original game when it debuted, loved it so much couldn't wait for the sequel and expansions and bought those as soon as they dropped too. Probably my favorite space sim game of all time.

Fast foward 20ish years to right now and I picked them both back up on GOG.com, but couldn't run them. Found out through asking questions that FSO was a thing, and Knossos, and zinga downloaded it and started up Knossos.

Currently downloading the Media VPS mod so I can get a really good graphical experience of the old nostalgic bad ass game I remember.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Hello FS enthusiasts. I bought the original game when it debuted, loved it so much couldn't wait for the sequel and expansions and bought those as soon as they dropped too. Probably my favorite space sim game of all time.

Fast foward 20ish years to right now and I picked them both back up on GOG.com, but couldn't run them. Found out through asking questions that FSO was a thing, and Knossos, and zinga downloaded it and started up Knossos.

Currently downloading the Media VPS mod so I can get a really good graphical experience of the old nostalgic bad ass game I remember.

:welcomesilver:

Hi there and welcome to HLP! Please note that there's a dedicated Discord channel focused entirely on Knossos and how to solve any potential issues trying to run it and FSO. Over there, you'll get answers in minutes. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Hello, I write music. I'm looking for a project that gives me an excuse to practice my orchestral writing skills. I have the tools and knowledge to write at around a ME2 quality level: https://soundcloud.com/matthias-borgias/me2-miranda-rebuild/s-UonK55JTQfq

But I need practice, and a Freespace type project would be just right.

Other recent examples of my stuff include the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PN_uiUmqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipsSn4ihOPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwS-TgxjsE

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

Hi there Electric Trojan! I remember when your nickname was Daddy Warhol. Your "The Midnight Sun" soundtrack has been featured in Series Resurrecta:)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Hi there Electric Trojan! I remember when your nickname was Daddy Warhol. Your "The Midnight Sun" soundtrack has been featured in Series Resurrecta:)

I remember I only gave it like 30% effort, and it shames me to this day.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
You're joking, right? That track's beautiful, it matches the quality of what's around these days.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

No joke, for me it wasn't good enough even then. I'm surprised I even finished it.

For me this is the bare minimum bench mark: https://soundcloud.com/matthias-borgias/me2-miranda-rebuild/s-UonK55JTQfq

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Good job, the quality is very high. The Midnight Sun will always remain in my heart due to its epic crescendo. I've also been quite lucky at recovering it from an old computer, I was more than certain of losing it completely.

Suggestion: you can edit your forum signature and provide direct links to your website(s).
The Lightblue Ribbon

I will edit my signature as soon as Nyctaeus has finished my site redesign, in a week or two at most I estimate

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Looking forward to it. I'd recommend adding links to Series Resurrecta once it's complete, it's your work after all. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You're the Daddy Warhol, the composer for Earth Defence? Welcome to HLP!
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

In a past life that was my moniker. I have since gone through several other iterations, this is my current.

Were those music sets I made for EDF ever used for anything?

Were those music sets I made for EDF ever used for anything?

I think it was proposed a number of times as people liked it but I don't think it was turned into reality. I've listened to the Epic_Brief and Funeral tracks several times myself, they're awesome

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I do remember a cool track named "Nothing in Particular" but I have no idea what happened to it. In fact, it didn't end up in the modpack that became SerRes. I think it was peculiar to ED.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I do remember a cool track named "Nothing in Particular" but I have no idea what happened to it. In fact, it didn't end up in the modpack that became SerRes. I think it was peculiar to ED.

...Oh, is that what it was named? It may be in this ED megadump under "earthdefence\data\music\" - there's a bunch of OGG files with "NInP" in their filename.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm glad to hear it's been preserved and yeah, the NInP tabled soundtrack (though I remember its filenames as NIP-xxx) has Nothing In Particular as its full title.

I can't be 100% sure but I think I created the table entry for that track. I helped the ED Team out with some stuff, back then.
The Lightblue Ribbon