Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 228143 times)

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Re: Official new people thread!
im absolutely tickled that this forum and modding community exists. its been a long time since iv been this excited lol

Hello.

I've been lurking around these forums for a while, decided to register.

Great to see you both here!

I joined HLP recently. I started with a 10 mission demo of Freespace in 2003 that came with my Wingman Joystick.  I beat it,  but I didn't end up finding the full game in stores and almost forgot about this game until I found the full thing on GOG in 2015 along with the prequel.  I completed both of them and they took up much time until I got a PS2 emulator in 2016 and started playing through the Ace Combat series.  I slowly started playing again in 2019 then found Knossos in 2020 during the Covid 19 pandemic

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
At least something good came out if it then, welcome aboard.
:welcomered:

Also..... What prequel 🤔?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Typo in my post, it was a ten mission demo of Freespace 2 that went to the mission "Feint Parry Riposte."  By prequel, I meant Freespace 1

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
Welcome. Feel right at home. Freders are always in short supply.

By the way, would you still have those 3 campaigns somewhere? They could be hosted.

Thanks. The first two are lost, I have the third one, but it's an absolute disgrace.

Act 1 of the fourth one, which I started making during quarantine, is close to release. I'd love to post it on the forums, once I read through the rules of doing so.

Thanks <3

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

By the way, would you still have those 3 campaigns somewhere? They could be hosted.

Thanks. The first two are lost, I have the third one, but it's an absolute disgrace.

Act 1 of the fourth one, which I started making during quarantine, is close to release. I'd love to post it on the forums, once I read through the rules of doing so.

Thanks <3

Do you have the names by any chance?  Possible someone stashed it somewhere if it was uploaded to the interwebs (and if you know the name of any site it might be archived on archive.org or similar).  Also if it's on an old hard drive that's crashed and you feel like trying there are some things you can try to retrieve the information (I believe I have a signature post to that effect).

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev

Thanks <3

Do you have the names by any chance?  Possible someone stashed it somewhere if it was uploaded to the interwebs (and if you know the name of any site it might be archived on archive.org or similar).  Also if it's on an old hard drive that's crashed and you feel like trying there are some things you can try to retrieve the information (I believe I have a signature post to that effect).

Thank you for your kind advice. I'd be sure to heed it, but those campaigns were sadly extremely low quality measured by today's standards. Nothing of value was lost, but they were good FRED-practice for me.

I am now looking for testers for my current project, here is the relevant thread: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97475.msg1908941#msg1908941

Hello, new user here. I started playing Freespace when I bought it off of GOG, and I've been lurking here for a while. After I posted a question on Discord, I thought the time was ripe to, perhaps, participate in the goings on of the community.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
:welcomeblue:

Great to see you here!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hello, new user here. I started playing Freespace when I bought it off of GOG, and I've been lurking here for a while. After I posted a question on Discord, I thought the time was ripe to, perhaps, participate in the goings on of the community.

Welcome aboard pilot :-)

Make sure you check the getting started thread, I have posted a few guides on there in the last few months which might help you get the best out of Freespace - such as the auto aim guide and the guide to using Knossos to make the game look its best - link below :-)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kKXaTMhO57RCHi24mhJpO2Bt5PjeV8WvweDkyr7xKrw/edit?usp=sharing
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Hello everyone my name is Gustaf I am 25 years old I am a naturalist photographer, I love to watch birds and play games.I hope to find expirience here.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:welcomered:

Don't tell me you've got a 400mm 1.8 🤔
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Welcome aboard pilot :-)

Be sure to check out the 'getting started' for tips on how to get Fs running and looking its best :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Hello everyone, I’ve recently joined and I have to say that I am amazed at all the hard work and passion that has been put into this, FreeSpace definitely has to be my favourite series, I hope that I will be able to contribute, even if it’s just as moral support!

Offline Marguel

• Sparda
    • Steam
Yeah, I've been lurking around here intermittently for a while (2008!), but I never did an introductory one. So...hey there to everyone!
FS remains my favorite game, even after all this time (always). I loved it so much that, even when i didn't have a PC that could play it, I would go to a cyber-cafe and install it there, play until my time was up, then next time I went started all over again. Must have played retail campaign over 20 times (but only some missions tho) over the years.
Nice to meet you all!

BTW I'm Sparda on the discord.
"You'll see. It'll be better than last time. "
"I hope so. I died."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

:welcome:

Offline tenax

• Steam
Hi there! New to the site and new to the game. Was craving a space shoot 'em up game of some kind and after much research found FS and FS2 and then, the hard-light forums. Hoping I can find my way through this universe with your help!

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
:welcomeblue:

Always nice to see people who have just discovered the games and this community!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hi there! New to the site and new to the game. Was craving a space shoot 'em up game of some kind and after much research found FS and FS2 and then, the hard-light forums. Hoping I can find my way through this universe with your help!

Hi!

The installer we primarily use (Knossos) for installing the SCP & mods is here: https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

Useful Terms:
SCP: Source Code Project, upgrades the FS2 Open Engine
MediaVPs: asset upgrades to FreeSpace
FSPort: FreeSpace Port, a port of FreeSpace 1 / The Great War & Silent Threat add-on to the FS2 and FS2 Open engine.  Also has asset upgrades.

If there's anything you need to know, or if you run into problems, just ask!

EDIT: handy guide, here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91849.0

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Welcome aboard pilot :)

If you want to become an Ace in record time, take a look at this handy guide we whipped up :-)

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97961.0