Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422935 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
When installing a mod that depends on another mod that is not installed (eg: JAD 2.22 depends JAD 2.21), the Launcher will snap to "Installed" as the status for the dependency, even though the dependency is still installing, as can be seen in the detailed installation screen.  There is no status bar at the bottom of the dependency mod as it is installed, either.

Very small nitpick for the back-burner, unless it's a two-second easy fix.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Additionally (and this one is more serious as if it's a bug which I think it is, it's eating bandwidth), it appears some dependencies are re-installed when they don't need to be, however, I might be not realizing there's several different MediaVPs being referenced??  Unsure.  I noticed some MediaVPs that were already downloaded & installed  were installed again for some mods.
 I'll try to post the Knossos log in case that helps.  I have screenshots showing this happening with multiple mods, and it's only certain components, like MV_Music (which makes me think it's not just a different MVPs version required, but a bug).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If you manage to click the blue "Installing..." icon on a mod before it can switch out to its completed state (mod has finished installing but user managed to click for details while  it was changing states) then Knossos displays a rather dire warning that it won't work properly until it's been restarted and the error has been reported and hopefully will be fixed.  Seems to work just fine afterwards, though (doesn't close, you can just click "ok" and go about your business as usual).

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
What about cross-machine mod development?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What about cross-machine mod development?

symlink or synchronize mod folder with a folder in Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
OK, I have the Knossos log file, the .json files from appdata\roaming\knossos in case they matter, and a few screenshots showing the random files being re-downloaded (MV_Music and MV_Radaricons usually).  Clicky (Google Drive link)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@ruger392: Thanks for the help. Not quite sure, yet, what is causing the issue but at least now I know that the bug happens either when Knossos looks up the connected joysticks or queries FSO for the same list.

@jr2: Hm... we had a similar bug in the past but it's been a while that someone has reported it so I assumed it's been fixed. Meh. It's fairly low-priority IMO since it's very hard to debug (I can't reproduce it and honestly it's VERY annoying to figure out the root cause since it's quite complicated) and it doesn't break anything. There are other more pressing issues right now but if you can figure out WHY this happens, I'd be glad to fix it. Here's the relevant code in case anyone wants to look into it.

Not sure about the critical error. Can't find the report right now. Could you send me a log with the error inside?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:14:39 am by ngld »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
It's in the Google Drive link.  If that Error Log doesn't have the critical error, then Knossos lied (it was all one big session, so it has to be in that log).  I was hoping that the log could shed some light on the re-downloading issues as well, but if not *shrug*.  PS When it re-downloads a random file, I think it skips the verification where it checks that all prerequisites' files are ok.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I for one think this is cool.

Last Played also works and appears in mod details.

Technical details

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Question:

Why is it showing me this and then only giving me a 3.8.0 build when I start up? ("Stable" build preference)
-changed to attachment-

I just spend over an hour wondering what I had broken now, when I started getting a lot inexplicable error messages on start-up...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:11:47 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I can't see your image :)

I think the answer might be; you need to set build stability to "nightlies" to get anything more recent than 3.8.0.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline 0rph3u5

I can't see your image :)

changed to attachment in the post above.

I think the answer might be; you need to set build stability to "nightlies" to get anything more recent than 3.8.0.

I get that (and I am now on the "nightlies" preference), but why is then telling me that I had a build that it didn't give me?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry, which build did it not give you? I can see 3.8.0, one nightly & the nuWoD build?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline 0rph3u5

Selecting and "launching" with the 3.8.1-20181229 selected launches the 3.8.0 build instead.

==================

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
huh - that's weird!  Does the knossos log confirm that it's using 3.8.0, including listing all the cmdline options?

%appdata%\knossos\log.txt
----
----

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Same thing may have happened on Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline 0rph3u5

huh - that's weird!  Does the knossos log confirm that it's using 3.8.0, including listing all the cmdline options?

%appdata%\knossos\log.txt

Fixed. Disregard, User Error was the cause.

==================

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Why is it showing me this and then only giving me a 3.8.0 build when I start up? ("Stable" build preference)
Sounds like a bug. I'll look into it.

Offline 0rph3u5

Sounds like a bug. I'll look into it.

It was user error, don't sweat it ... but I would suggest that you put a line on the FSO section of the Development Tab that clarifies its function and relation to the FSO Settings elsewhere. I got confused and in the days before release when you are already knee deep is FREDing busy work, one more things to be confused about is ... frustrating.

==================

Just reinstalled FS2 a few days ago after several years to find out what's new and decided to give Knossos a try.
I had one issue so far:
I first installed the latest MediaVPs and then when running it I got an error about missing stuff. It was only through half an hour of googling it, that I eventually found out I need to use the latest nightly build to run it and chance to knossos settings from stable to nightly.
Why is the MediaVPs not DLing those already, like other mods DL the OpenFS2 build they run on? If that's not possible for technical reasons, then at least make a note of what you need to do to run in in the MediaVPs details, please.

Everything else seems to work find so far. Have one feature request:
Make a "create shortcut" option to run FS2open with a selected mod directly from the desktop without going through the launcher, thereby skipping the initialization and checking for updates each time.