Author Topic: 3.6.10 Media VPs Discussion Thread  (Read 304011 times)

Re: RELEASE: 3.6.10 Media VPs
The Shoot me bits where there in Retail... I think...

Well, some suprises you gave me there. I never knew that the Iceni was nearing completion.

Oh well. Going to download this as soon as I get home. And get severe injuries because my mother will have to use force in order to let me eat :P.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
*new stuff*
Wow.

...Wow.

Still downloading, but this has already blown away my expectations. You guys are awesome.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Okay, I've tested these new ones for a few missions of the default campaign, so I thought I should post (for the first time, I think  :p ) some observations.

First things first, the new HTL models are amazing, as usual  ;) , and the normal mapping adds even more layers of greatness to the models. Heck, it even makes some of the old models look decent  :yes: .

I was a bit unsure about the new warp effect at first. I thought it looked like the texture was missing and the default one was used instead. But when I really looked at the texture it blew my mind.

Some things that I noticed, in no particular order: (This was the MV_Complete package)

• The Lilith is supposed the armoured looking one, right? If so it seems that Cruiser03 and Cruiser03x have been swapped. At least I think that was how it was in the beta VPs.
  • All the missiles uses the same trails, is this intentional?
  • The nameplates look weird from some angles (see pictures)
  • In the old VPs ship names in the campaign didn't have the GTwhatever in front of their names, but now they do

And I don't know if it's a MediaVP problem or a build problem, but I can't seem to get 2D shockwaves (I'm using the nightly r4983 build right now)

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]

==> In the "Custom Flags field" copy & paste (Without the quotes): "-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5"

What happened to -height? Shouldn't it be included for Normal Mapping?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I thought you're supposed to use a 4895 build and above.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
In that case, I shall try that right away

Yes, but that one still uses the Height flag, doesn't it?

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Nop, still no 2D shockwaves...

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Oh. My. God. It's... it's the Horus :jaw: My favorite fighter finally HTLed. Now, when are the FSP MVPs coming out?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!

Yes, but that one still uses the Height flag, doesn't it?
Actually that comment was for TacOne.

Nop, still no 2D shockwaves...
5.5d Launcher?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i'm using 5.5d. NO 2D SHOCKWAVE with the enable 3D shockwave flag unchecked
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Yea, what he said.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Now, when are the FSP MVPs coming out?

Next week, after finals. :blah:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
2D shockwaves missing is a code issue. I did a little test with older build (in fact, the one which introduced "Enable 3D shockwaves" -option) and it worked correctly - not selecting the option showed the 2D shockwaves. Conclusively, the MediaVP's doesn't have anything to do with this particular problem. Obviously something has changed in the code since the introduction of this cmdline flag that makes the option unworking.

Although FSUpgrade has no control over this kind of issues, it obviously makes it clear that r4985 nightly build is, after all, not as recommendable as it should have been, but it's basically an SCP issue, not a problem with the VP's. The best solution is probably to wait for a nightly build where the issue is fixed.

The issue with nameplates blacking out is related to shaders, which - although a set of them is distributed within the MediaVP's - aren't exactly something that belongs on FSUpgrade turf either. They are basically snippets of code that the engine uses to modify lighting based on the actual game media. It's possible that if a good solution is achieved, there'll be a set of shaders that can simply be used to override the ones inside the MediaVP's, but that solution needs to be found first. Apparently there might also be some differences in how different drivers and hardware work together with the shaders and the FS2_Open code, as for example Zacam apparently hasn't encountered this problem with these shaders... and there's been some other graphical issues that appear on some systems and are absent on others, depending on different settings - which makes troubleshooting a tad bit difficult, understandably.

Talking of strange elusive bugs - if and when you see flickery flecks hanging in space after thrusters, they are not FSUpgrade issue either. We don't actually know for sure what causes them to appear; on my PC they appear if I enable full screen anti-aliasing on NVidia control panel, while on Zacam's PC they appear when he enables anisothropic mip filter optimization, so it's a bit inconclusive what exactly makes them appear but it would appear that it's not a media issue but instead something related to graphics drivers, the FS2_Open code, or both. I believe I speak for the whole FSU team when I say that it is one of the more frustrating glitches we've encountered when ironing this stuff out... :ick:

Anyway, it's a good sign that there has apparently not been anything gamestoppingly horridly wrong in the VP's... yet. :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline MC_Kejml

• Drinks Kool-aid
Thank you guys, for your great contributions to the community :) Not only it shows FS2 community is not dwindling, it, of course, improves the gameplay for us a lot!

Keep it up and once more, thanks.  :nod:

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Snip

Yea, that's what I thought about the shockwave and nametag issues.
It's not like it's a really big deal anyway, IMHO.

BTW, which build did you test with?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
BTW, which build did you test with?

r4936 - which was the one that introduced the feature. Didn't bother to find out yet which revision screwed things up though.

EDIT: It appears as though r4981 screws it up by adding a fallback to 3D when 2D effect is not present. Obviously it doesn't do that right, since thre is a 2D effect present but it fallbacks to 3D regardless of that...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:38:48 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Edit: Nevermind, Herra is faster than me

Edit2: 4973 works fine http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,58117.0.html

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Talking of strange elusive bugs - if and when you see flickery flecks hanging in space after thrusters, they are not FSUpgrade issue either. We don't actually know for sure what causes them to appear; on my PC they appear if I enable full screen anti-aliasing on NVidia control panel, while on Zacam's PC they appear when he enables anisothropic mip filter optimization, so it's a bit inconclusive what exactly makes them appear but it would appear that it's not a media issue but instead something related to graphics drivers, the FS2_Open code, or both. I believe I speak for the whole FSU team when I say that it is one of the more frustrating glitches we've encountered when ironing this stuff out... :ick:

You mean the flickering things behind secondary thruster glows, right? I was also encountering them while working on TBP thrusters glows. I think it has something to with the way the engine handles UV transformation on the secondary glows, because the flickering things seem to be remnants of the glow image wrapped around (in UV space) to the other end of the glow. I know this sounds confusing, but what I mean is that if you make the left-most row of pixels in the glow image (the left side is the one near the thruster) completely black, the flickering disappears.
So I think that left-most row of pixels somehow ends up partially on the other end of the effect ingame, maybe due to some rounding error in the UV transformation process ?!?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
 :yes: :yes: :yes:  guys  :nod:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.