Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 244913 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Exactly my problem with it. It looks like it was made in 2012, with phone browsers and their dinky screens in mind. I want a PC version with layout and style like it used to be before all those changes (like the one on the "main" homepage).

:wtf: Do me (and everyone else) a favor, and watch what happens to the forums when you shrink your browser width down to near-phone scale. See that drastic change? That's something that's made with phone browsers and screen sizes in mind. The desktop layout isn't.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

watch what happens to the forums when you shrink your browser width down to near-phone scale. See that drastic change? That's something that's made with phone browsers and screen sizes in mind.

Neat! And I'll get used to the super-huge page numbers, it was just a little shocking :p. It's nice I know that it's actually supposed to be that way.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Exactly my problem with it. It looks like it was made in 2012, with phone browsers and their dinky screens in mind. I want a PC version with layout and style like it used to be before all those changes (like the one on the "main" homepage).

:wtf: Do me (and everyone else) a favor, and watch what happens to the forums when you shrink your browser width down to near-phone scale. See that drastic change? That's something that's made with phone browsers and screen sizes in mind. The desktop layout isn't.

Or, you know, load it on a smart phone or tablet. Then compare what you see on your desktop.

In an ever evolving world, accessibility to what is there is key. And accessibility means that you need the dynamic capability for scaling your content to an ever growing pool of devices that can access it.

Which means that modifications based on this awareness are just (hopefully) going to get more prevalent and popular and pervasive. Don't like it? Build a time machine and go back to 1995.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Luis Dias

IMHO, the new layout is just fine. Best layout HLP has ever had.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

I know. It works on a phone. But must we have a single layout for both phones and desktops? Isn't there a way to make the site tell if it's being viewed on a phone and adjust accordingly?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
1) I highly doubt it.  Even if it is possible, I have the feeling it would be immensely not worth the effort.

2) Click Profile -> Account Settings -> Look and Layout -> Set the "Post Width" drop down box to "Fluid" -> Stop complaining.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I know. It works on a phone. But must we have a single layout for both phones and desktops? Isn't there a way to make the site tell if it's being viewed on a phone and adjust accordingly?

Are you serious? That's exactly what is happening. The site adjusts its layout according to whether it's on a large screen (desktop) or a small one (mobile device). What part of that don't you see?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Yarn

I know I mentioned these earlier, but I think that these are flaws that should be addressed:

The quick-search lacks a button, thus requiring a press of the enter key. If this doesn't seem like a problem, then keep in mind that many devices (tablets, smartphones, consoles, etc.) lack a keyboard. While some of these devices automatically submit search queries once they're entered, many don't, rendering button-less search forms unusable. For this reason, the quick-search ought to have a button.

Text in text boxes is simply too dark. It looks like it's grayed out. Also, people with vision problems or crappy displays might not be able to read it. A text color of #999999 or brighter would be sufficient.

In case you don't know what I am talking about, I have attached some screenshots to illustrate these problems.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Dude, you seriously need to get your screen calibrated or something. Those fields aren't too dark at all.

(inb4GarrusCalibrations)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Yarn

Dude, you seriously need to get your screen calibrated or something. Those fields aren't too dark at all.

(inb4GarrusCalibrations)
I have no trouble reading them. They just look unusually dark for something that isn't supposed to be grayed out, and would look better if they were brighter.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The adjustments do no harm, so... fix0r3d.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Also, can we get some other color scheme for the "jump to" dropdown list other than white on gray?

Can we get some other color scheme for the "jump to" dropdown list other than gray on slightly lighter gray? Like.... I don't know.... white on black or black on white or... any other combination of colors that actually contrast well? Either that or go full troll and make it black on black. It's just that the current "usable but annoying" scheme seems kind of wishy-washy. :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Can we get some other color scheme for the "jump to" dropdown list other than gray on slightly lighter gray? Like.... I don't know.... white on black or black on white or... any other combination of colors that actually contrast well? Either that or go full troll and make it black on black. It's just that the current "usable but annoying" scheme seems kind of wishy-washy. :p

You lucky, boy - you caught me just between work and weekend. :p Done.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Latest Google Chrome for iOS, iOS 5.1.1
Clicking any drop-down menu item (e.g. Profile > Account Settings) instead clicks on the item below the menu, like another menu or the logout link.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i see you tried to fix the sig extension blocking buttons, but it didn't work right.  they display over the sig box, until you move your mouse toward them and try to click on them, when they pop back underneath.

apparently printscrn doesn't capture the mouse cursor, but in the second one it's hovering over where the reply button should be.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Latest Google Chrome for iOS, iOS 5.1.1
Clicking any drop-down menu item (e.g. Profile > Account Settings) instead clicks on the item below the menu, like another menu or the logout link.

I can't troubleshoot any iOS devices, sorry. Get a manly man's phone. :p

i see you tried to fix the sig extension blocking buttons, but it didn't work right.  they display over the sig box, until you move your mouse toward them and try to click on them, when they pop back underneath.

apparently printscrn doesn't capture the mouse cursor, but in the second one it's hovering over where the reply button should be.

O.o What browser is that happening in? For the record, I haven't tried to adjust anything to do with the signatures extending downwards in months and months, if not years. Perhaps something I did with the buttons affected it.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
firefox. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Is there a way to disable the giant navigation buttons?

Offline Luis Dias

There's also the disturbing behavior of the whole site under Android 2.3's browser. When I click any link whatsoever, the site thinks I've just clicked the button next to it (or under it, or above it). It didn't happen before (e: before it was amazingly precise it even wowed me on how I could rightly choose very very small links correctly), and signing in the site is a torture.