Author Topic: Shivan Theory category  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Shivan Theory category
Since there are so many non-canon theories about Shivans about, it seems it would be in order to devote a category to them, agreed or disagreed?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Shivan Theory category
Oh dear.

Agreed.  :nervous: But there was a monster of a thread awhile back wherein we had people concerned about them interpreting as being some sort of canon.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Actually giving non-canon theories of shivan origins a category was widely considered acceptable in that debate, IIRC.  It was the Shivan Manifesto being featured more prominently than the others that most of us took issue with.

It's a wiki.  If someone doesn't like it, they should fix it.  If you want to make it easier to read or find stuff in, then go ahead.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 10:05:01 pm by StratComm »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the debate was due to misunderstanding and simple reactiveness...
-C

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
So without further ado... poof, and so it is.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
IMO individual theories should be linked to their origin threads on the forum; that allows for an inherent peer review process and skips the issue of non-canonical information in the Wiki.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I suppose I need to do a little forum-diving now and dig out the theories thread...

Capella BBQ theory! Yaaay!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually giving non-canon theories of shivan origins a category was widely considered acceptable in that debate, IIRC.  It was the Shivan Manifesto being featured more prominently than the others that most of us took issue with.

Yep. That was always my issue with the matter. No one theory should be presented as being better or more correct than any of the others.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
One of the problems that just occured to me is that many of people's ideas about Shivans are one liners, for instance, some of my personal thoughts from the fourms:
I personally always figured the "first generation designs" were subspace-worthy enough to get through some of the unstable jump nodes and Ross 128 and Ikeya, while the "generation 2 designs" required a stable node- such as the Knossos jump node, to get through, and that most beam cannons interfere with subspace.
We don't want a category of stubs... or does it matter

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
One of the problems that just occured to me is that many of people's ideas about Shivans are one liners, for instance, some of my personal thoughts from the fourms:
I personally always figured the "first generation designs" were subspace-worthy enough to get through some of the unstable jump nodes and Ross 128 and Ikeya, while the "generation 2 designs" required a stable node- such as the Knossos jump node, to get through, and that most beam cannons interfere with subspace.
We don't want a category of stubs... or does it matter

A list of bullet points, perhaps, but that's far from guarenteed to be anything near comprehensive or even informative.

Offline knn

One liners could be useful for campaign-writers who are out of ideas
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
One liners could be useful for campaign-writers who are out of ideas

Get more ideas - and more fleshed out ones - by asking for them in the forum though, IMO.  People love to speculate, after all.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Get more ideas - and more fleshed out ones - by asking for them in the forum though, IMO.  People love to speculate, after all.

Which is why someone moans and complains about every new theories thread, right?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Which is why someone moans and complains about every new theories thread, right?

I never noticed that.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Well, someone usually points out that the be-all, end-all explanation of the shivans usually is bad for their role as mysterious destroyers, yes.  That doesn't mean that we aren't free to speculate though.  That and making them too human.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Or making humans too shivan.