Author Topic: The good news and the bad news.  (Read 19710 times)

Offline aRaven

Re: The good news and the bad news.
SWC missions?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
No...the whole INFA campaign, a few INF SCP missions, about twenty Steadfast missions and a few dozen other missions made by me.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
JGZ, brand-x took it in for data recovery, and it was even sent to Maxtor, apparently to no avail because the data on the platters themselves was somehow destroyed.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I thought he said the place he took it too contacted Maxtor not that Maxtor actually took a look at it. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok I just can't read lately.  Gotta stop doing this at work when I'm busy :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Maxtor may be a drive manufacturer.. but they are not adept at data recovery.
Kind of like saying you'll go and get a set of tires from the gas n'sav round the corner,
sure they might have tires... but is that really a good idea?

Ten to one, they run the same scans on it that they would for a returned drive.
He needs something heavy duty, not the glance and "oh we think it's broke - pay us $150 for
taking the looksie."

Short of the platters having extensive physical damage, there should be something possible.

When I looked at this, I was looking for a business hard drive, no backups, and it had the last year of data
on there. So I wasn't playing around while everything was standstill.

One of the programs I got in that little batch of fun, actually can read through several reformats of the disc and still
pull off nearly the whole OS. I didn't end up using it in that instance, but it's been nice for other purposes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:10:05 am by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's not that great of an analogy.  Maybe if I said that Dell would be good at data recovery because they sell hard drives in their computers, but Maxtor _makes_ drives, they have all the hardware necessary to debug and they know exactly how each piece of equipment they make functions.  If the data can be recovered they should know how to do it.  The only other place I could think might have better luck is some hard drive forensics expert working for the FBI or something.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well since Seagate owns Maxtor now this might help:  http://services.seagate.com/consumer_standard_services.aspx

My guess is it's expensive though.  That's why I suggested trying to find a controller board from the same model.  Just might work. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline CaptJosh

That only works if the power surge didn't fry the motors too.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Chief - From what amounts of info I've sent you in the past you
should know I don't say something without reason or research to believe
it is correct. I'm still quite firmly of the position Maxtor or "any" of the drive manufactuers
are not nearly as robust a recovery center as a dedicated recovery company.

To prevent derailing, that's all I'll say on the topic unless brandx0 want's more info.

True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Chief - From what amounts of info I've sent you in the past you
should know I don't say something without reason or research to believe
it is correct. I'm still quite firmly of the position Maxtor or "any" of the drive manufactuers
are not nearly as robust a recovery center as a dedicated recovery company.

To prevent derailing, that's all I'll say on the topic unless brandx0 want's more info.

Based on my own experience dealing with lost data and working on various IT staffs, I'll second that opinion.  That said, the kind of recovery needed usually runs in the thousands of dollars range, so it may still be more feasible to just start over anyway.  Besides, the new stuff brandx0 is pumping out is nothing short of breathtaking.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Well since Seagate owns Maxtor now this might help:  http://services.seagate.com/consumer_standard_services.aspx

My guess is it's expensive though.  That's why I suggested trying to find a controller board from the same model.  Just might work. 

Don't. Just don't.
Drive nowadays have to be pre-scanned before leaving the factory to map their usable surface. This data is written to the firmware of the electronics. Swap out the panel -- poof! there goes the whole setup and you most likely rendered your data unreadable.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Blablabla ....

Are you thinking to share your work (when done) with all the members of Fate of the Galaxy, to avoid this kind of lost. It will be great to have at least some back up from your teammate. So, the progress won't be in difficulty.

The platters are probably still perfectly intact and it's just the electronics that are blown. Any competant data recovery company can deal with this. However, that will cost $$$, quite possible in the low four digit range.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Really not worth it for me, especially considering how much I've already managed to redo, and with much higher quality.  I'm like a Saiyan, I get beat up, but I come back 10 times stronger!

God I hate Dragonball
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline aRaven

shame on you for mentioning that kiddie cartoon show!