Author Topic: RELEASE - The Apocalypse: Vega  (Read 28548 times)

Offline Belisarius

• I will not give up my ship!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Legends of Middleearth
Re: RELEASE - The Apocalypse: Vega
Hi all.

I get this error message when trying to start the campaign.

Error: Bad ID in model file <fighter06.pof>
File: modelread.cpp
Line: 992

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    fs2_open_3_6_11r-20090713_r5434.exe 00463ada()

I deactivated the "Show ship models in ship selection" option and the same for the weapons loadout, but then I get this:

Error: Unable to initialize display device!

File: gropengl.cpp
Line: 2972

Call stack:

Could anyone please tell me what's the cause? The display driver is up to date.

Edit: Never mind. It was a driver issue which cause remains unknown to me, but is fixed now.

Offline Zantor

• Zantor Zenodex
    • My LiveJournal: A Zenodexan's Log
Hey guys. I tried running TA-Vega, and got this:

Code: [Select]
Error: sp-01.fs2(line 2389:
Error: Required token = [#Goals] or [$Formula:], found [+Trigger Count: 1] .

File: PARSELO.CPP
Line: 670

Call stack:

I am running 3.6.10 final with mediavps and so on; the install isn't that old, and I updated everything with the FSO installer last week. This looks to be a FRED issue, but I want to be sure; I checked the thread and saw no one else has this problem. If it would be more appropriate, I can file a bug report on Mantis.

Command-line options:

Code: [Select]
D:\Games\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_6_10.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -window  -ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 11 -spec_point .6 spect_static .8 -spec_tube .4 -ogl_spec 80
"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." --Thomas Jefferson

"If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency... the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." --Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." --Thomas Jefferson

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Go read the first post in this thread again. It states, in no uncertain terms that
You must use 3.6.11 build (Nightly build will work  ) and 3.6.10+ minimum core and effects mediavps

Now, what conclusions can we draw from this?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Hi guys! For those who don't watch sectorgame forum of this campaign, I have some info. I've just released a new patch to this campaign so it's fully compatible with FreeSpace 2 Open 3.6.12. Get it here and enjoy!

If you have a chance, take some screenshots from it and post them ;)
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline starlord

Any news on the sequel shiv?

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Fixing the "Vega" chapter was essential to get started again the works on the "Exodus" sequel. I'd like to do some job on it during upcomming days and maybe show you some screens or even a gameplay video ;)
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline CT27

Sorry for the necro but I just played this and overall am looking forward to the sequel.  Any chance that could still happen?

Offline Govenator

• You have been targeted for termination!
I really liked this as well. Right when things get crazy the campaign ends. 

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Just wanted to thank CT27 for the necro, I am still trying to get some sort of "complete" list with all ever released mods and campaigns together for myself, as scotty hasn't updated his campaign list in quite a long time (it's also far from complete). But then again, I could as well share that work with the HLP community. You know what, I think I'll dedicate a thread to that.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Author is busy as hell with his real life issues and there will be no sequel soon. I cannot make any promises, but I think he will be back one day and make something new.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Just tried the latest version under Ubuntu 20.04:

https://fsnebula.org/log/5fe096f33f9afd740d5a5666

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is what happens when your subtitle string is longer than 32 characters. How did this mission ever work? Fixed in 1.0.1.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Just played this with the current MediaVPs forced. I've encountered no bugs until the last mission, where, even though
Spoiler:
the Aquitaine blasts the SD Badriel,
the corresponding primary goal is never marked as completed.
(And the mission neither progresses nor ends successfully.)
Does anyone know if this also happens with the correct version (too lazy to install :p)?

Aside from that: I really like the TL:DR of the objectives after the fade-in in every mission.
Just before the fade-in, however, I see for a few milliseconds the actual mission.
Could anyone look into fixing these, or is this a result of too new MediaVPs?

I'd also be intersted in editing the mission dialog if there's hope at all of modernizing this campaign.

I'll give it a play. If you'd like a quasi-professional second pass proof read, I did a a couple dozen pages of edits for Spoon for WoD.

I had the same issue with the last mission.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think I found (and solved) an issue in the last mission of The Apocalypse: Vega.

Spoiler:
Due to the B in "SD bardiel" being in the lower case in several FRED events, the mission won't progress past a certain point because key events are all tied to the hull integrity and fate of that Ravana destroyer. The game won't recognize these events as valid because the ship is named "SD Bardiel". I performed several tests and made some changes via Notepad, solving the issue. Hereby attached is the modified mission file.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Knossos version has been updated with this fix.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I tested the new patch and managed to complete the campaign.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I can also complete the final mission using the fixed version, thanks!
There remains the issue of the fade-in not occurring immediately after mission start,
but only after a few milliseconds of "normal" view have been visible.
I don't know if that is as easily fixed?

Above I've described the issue of the screen flashing the normal view of space at mission start, cutting to black, then fading in.

Opening & saving the first mission (attempted for purposes of dialog editing) in FRED, with no editing whatsoever done,
had the result of the screen going black & immediately fading in every 5 seconds, when I again tried to run the mission from Tech Room.

This did not, however, happen with the second mission, which showed exactly the expected old behavior.
Hidden Text: Reproduction efforts • Show
The main difference in the sexp's responsible was the first mission fades in over 5000ms while the second uses 6500.
The event in question is called "initial-sequence" in mission 1, "fade-in" in mission 2. There's an event amb-music-play between them only in mission 2.

Setting the first mission to 6500 fixes this, although setting the arg of fade-in in the 2nd mission to 5000 does not reproduce the strange behavior there.
Merely renaming the offending event to "fade-in" in mission 1 fixes the issue too;
renaming to "initial-sequence" in mission 2 and reordering events to match 1 does not cause it.

I'm using nightly from 23Dec2020 self-built on Archlinux & forcing current MVPS.
FRED version is 21.0.0-RC2 in a Win7 VM.
My guess is that mission file 1 got corrupted in such a way that reading & writing it with a current FRED causes another event than was originally intended
to be written, unless the event itself is actually edited. Is this possible or even to be expected, considering the original file was last edited in 2009?

EDIT: Edit *anything at all* with the Events Editor and this bug doesn't show up.
I've simply removed the fade-out time at the beginning to instantly start with a black screen,
never touching the fade-in, and everything works.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:21:00 am by themaddin »