Author Topic: FS Bombers: Cyclops or Not? (Theories on the number of pilots)  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
FS Bombers: Cyclops or Not? (Theories on the number of pilots)
Before it's too late, I think you ought to go for a multicrew cockpit in this bomber. Having a crew of two or even four would be in order for this one; two side-by-side at the front, and if you go for four, two sitting facing the walls behind the pilots.
The cockpit is just modelled for one pilot, I have it uvmapped, baked and everything :1

It's okay, it demonstrates Vasudan superiority at multitasking. :P
Yes, it's a single Zod, piloting, and managing two turrets as well as bombs. xD Meanwhile the Zeus takes two terrans and doesn't even have a turret!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: FS Bombers: Cyclops or Not? (Theories on the number of pilots)
Don't diss that second pair of eyes, mate.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's okay, it demonstrates Vasudan superiority at multitasking. :P
Yes, it's a single Zod, piloting, and managing two turrets as well as bombs. xD Meanwhile the Zeus takes two terrans and doesn't even have a turret!
And the Athena has two terrans and doesn't even have bombs !
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Honestly the amun the big enough to have section within the ship for a vasudan gunner. Like a room behind the pilot , as having the gunner with the pilot in the cockpit does not make much sense.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's got plenty of space even for two gunners and a bombardier. That thing is humongous.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Again, two sets of eyes are much better than one...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
It's smaller than the Medusa or the Artemis. Hell, at least it doesn't have the Artemis's cockpit, that thing's ridiculous.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It's also only got a tiny vision slit so I really doubt the benefit of "a second set of eyes" :p
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's also only got a tiny vision slit so I really doubt the benefit of "a second set of eyes" :p
Agreed on that. If there were two pilots, then both would only see half of one pilot's field of view. If anything, this would make situation awareness worse. Not to mention co-pilot doesn't do anything in-game, and if the player flew Amun, he'd be stuck with half the FOV covered by an armor plate.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
FreeSpace is hardly a simulator in most regards. There's no real way to appreciate the operational complexities of a spacecraft, even fictional, despite the excessive number of targeting controls in the game. Part of the fun of modeling is making something seem more real when possible, and I'd presume the Amun to be operated by a crew of three or four, personally. However, this is a moot point as of this time.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
As it was mentioned a few times, the additional crew most likely sits in the back, like in B-17 and the like. That dinky cockpit window wouldn't be enough for two pilots, and Amun has more than enough space between it and the missile bays.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Agreed on that. If there were two pilots, then both would only see half of one pilot's field of view. If anything, this would make situation awareness worse. Not to mention co-pilot doesn't do anything in-game, and if the player flew Amun, he'd be stuck with half the FOV covered by an armor plate.

You and the passenger of a car can both look out the front windshield, no? What is the difference here?
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You and the passenger of a car can both look out the front windshield, no? What is the difference here?
Windshield is bigger.
No, seriously, take a look at how small Amun's window is. Where a car has thin windshield struts (some don't even have that), this thing has an armored plate. In a car, you also have side windows to look through, in Amun that dinky window is all you get. If you're playing with cockpits on, Amun would be unplayable with two pilots (and it's close even with one).

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Oh, you mean because the eyepoint is off-center?

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Windshield is bigger.
No, seriously, take a look at how small Amun's window is. Where a car has thin windshield struts (some don't even have that), this thing has an armored plate. In a car, you also have side windows to look through, in Amun that dinky window is all you get. If you're playing with cockpits on, Amun would be unplayable with two pilots (and it's close even with one).

Ok, well, 1: most windshields do not have anything in the middle at all, it's just a window. 2: there is no armor plate in the center of the window on the Amun either. Considering the size of the ship, It's actually quite a big window too, and there is no reason that each pilot needs a separate viewing area, they can both look out the same window. I'm still not seeing the problem here.

EDIT: I'm considering the actual size of the ship, not the cockpit modeled to make it one-pilot.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes. Having too pilots and a center console would move both too close to the sides.

Ok, well, 1: most windshields do not have anything in the middle at all, it's just a window. 2: there is no armor plate in the center of the window on the Amun either. Considering the size of the ship, It's actually quite a big window too, and there is no reason that each pilot needs a separate viewing area, they can both look out the same window. I'm still not seeing the problem here.

EDIT: I'm considering the actual size of the ship, not the cockpit modeled to make it one-pilot.
Take a look at the new model, the window is the same size as on the retail texture. Now imagine if there were two pilots sitting side by side. And where exactly did I mention struts in the center of the windshield? Also, it's not like each pilot needs a separate viewing area, whatever you mean by that, but that at least one needs a decent FOV, preferably peripheral (not the case with Amun, but still sort of bearable).

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes. Having too pilots and a center console would move both too close to the sides.

Take a look at the new model, the window is the same size as on the retail texture. Now imagine if there were two pilots sitting side by side. And where exactly did I mention struts in the center of the windshield? Also, it's not like each pilot needs a separate viewing area, whatever you mean by that, but that at least one needs a decent FOV, preferably peripheral (not the case with Amun, but still sort of bearable).

The window is about 1m tall and 3.2-4.5m wide. Thats 3.3 feet by 11.2-14.9 feet. That is a damn big window. You can fit 2 people side-by-side.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is not longer about the model upgrade and has become about suggestions and theories for number of pilots in the Amun bomber... so I've split the thread.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.