Author Topic: CyberPunk 2077  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm suprised to hear you say that, considering you too frequent the WoD board... Spoon's appriciation of the "female form" should be out of the question (too bad he can't be bothered with the aestehtic of "male form" - there I said it)okay that was unhelpful - sorry
^ Exactly what 0rph3u5 said.

:lol:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I like at but at the same time it's just so...extremely, exactly, stereotypically cyberpunk. It's not something new the way Witcher was, like, ye olde fantasy but with a new interesting Polish take on Tolkien. It's mirrorshades and street samurai and making the Straylight run. Given that we've had some fascinating post-cyberpunk lately (Blade Runner 20whatever) that's a little disappointing.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The source material for the game is so old that they had to change the name of the game. No one would get hyped for Cyberpunk 2013. It literally was one of the first  (if not the first) cyberpunk RPGs so while I get your point, complaining about it not being fresh because everyone else has done something similar does seem similar to complaining that it would be pointless to make a Lord of the Rings film since it is just generic fantasy and people have done that before.

If CDPR had decided to create their own cyberpunk universe and it wasn't any different I'd be disappointed. But instead, they've gone to one of the granddaddies of the genre and asked to create that universe in a game. It's what they did so brilliantly in The Witcher so I'm not hugely upset they are doing it again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

No, I agree with Battuta. My overall feel about this whole thing has been BORING from the start. It says nothing new so far. It might be a great game, good mechanics and a good cyberpunk GTA and so on, but I'm merely like "yeah and?". I'm BORED. It seems cynical and meaningless.

Gimme something, CDPR. Something to care about. Some actual beauty. Something that despite all the ugliness of Gibsonesque proportions makes me want to fight for it. Because as far as I've seen, all you have shown us is how you were able to build an incredible trope-filled dystopic cyberpunkian world that I just want to burn all down to shreds.

No, I'm not interested in joining the mafia. But I would, if I had to in order to get the tools I needed to save or create something beautiful. See what I mean? It's like, Ghost in the Shell is already more than 20 years old. I'm not saying anything remotely insightful here. But the demo only tries to show how incredibly detailed and fluid and amazing this awful, horrible world is like.

A Thanos procedure here would feel kind of generous and not good enough.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I quite like this.  GTA Deus Ex isn't a bad thing.  Boobs make it better.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, I agree with Battuta. My overall feel about this whole thing has been BORING from the start. It says nothing new so far. It might be a great game, good mechanics and a good cyberpunk GTA and so on, but I'm merely like "yeah and?". I'm BORED. It seems cynical and meaningless.

At this point, I feel it's a bit premature to call the whole thing boring and trite and cliche yet. It could very well be all of those things, but I think this complaining about Cyberpunk being exactly like Cyberpunk is a bit like complaining that Gandalf had a boring robe and pointy hat costume in Lord of the Rings.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I like at but at the same time it's just so...extremely, exactly, stereotypically cyberpunk.

I agree with your sentiment, but I also would like to bring a counterpoint:

I find that Cyberpunk, even the close to the source-kind, has not really been that represented. (Yes, there a number of good games in the indie scene but by definition their impact is limited.)
When we now get a back to the roots of the genre game, it might help to lay out the fundamentals of genre to an unexposed audience - both on the consumer and the creator-side.

If you allow the metaphor: It can be soil form which better things may grow.

It seems cynical and meaningless.

Gimme something, CDPR. Something to care about. Some actual beauty. Something that despite all the ugliness of Gibsonesque proportions makes me want to fight for it. Because as far as I've seen, all you have shown us is how you were able to build an incredible trope-filled dystopic cyberpunkian world that I just want to burn all down to shreds.

No, I'm not interested in joining the mafia. But I would, if I had to in order to get the tools I needed to save or create something beautiful. See what I mean?

No, I don't. See, Years ago, I have come to realize that most games so far fail to deliver a true tragedy, instead delivering the things you describe.
Of course, games have utilized the tools of the tragedy - they are littered with Impossible Choices, Rug-pull Moments and Sacrifices. But they rarely utilize them in the manner of the tragedy: For games a tragic moment is catapult, to vault you to even greater heights of empowerment and control without losing a step in the process.
But rarely do all your efforts as player ammount to nothing, seldom all your accomplishments remain as meaningless on the last day as they were on the first day, and nearly never virtue falls back into the ash from which it was molded.

And even rarer is the healing that seeing the failure of hero can bestow.
In a tragedy you don't tear down a hero to deconstruct their heroism intellectually, for the hollow pleasures of shadenfreude, or because we could not abide a hero in their purity: It is about us, who sit as audience to the act; to make us see that can project all our own wishes into a heroic figure but even those cannot run or fight the most basic of inadequcies - which they share with us.
This is meant to make us, as the audience, whole and at peace with ourselves. Fostering the simple acceptance acceptance of our limitations and in turn giving us new apprication of the power we do have.

While I personally think such a style always be accompanied by media that calls us to action in equal measure, there is a point that right now might be the best time to champion this kind of narrative: We are surrounded by monsters of our own collective impotences with seemingly no way out.

We called out for saviors,
we grasped at nothingsness for something to hold,
we kicked at the void for somewhere to stand.

If we could stop that and endure that it does not, never has and never will serve us.
Then we might just realize the power of our voices, the strength in our arms and reach of our stride.
We could finally make.

*blinks* *shakes head*
Sorry, kinda went of the rails there for a moment....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:27:18 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I think it's hard for CDPR to capture the essence of a sprawling RPG title in a 48-minute tech demo - and moreover to do it without giving away key components of the game.  And given the writing brilliance on display in the Witcher 3, in particular, I'm willing to absolutely give this studio the benefit of the doubt.  It's far too early to call it boring.

Look at The Witcher 3.  If you judged the entire game from a hour-long tech demo set in White Orchard and Velen, it might also come off as a little boring, and little samey, nothing really that new and explosive.  To really understand the brilliance of that game, you need to sink 10 or 20 hours in.... and the next 200 will go buy in a flash (I am STILL not finished Blood and Wine, and I'm now past 300 hours in the game).

There's also the fact that we're starting anew with a more Bethesda-style concept of "here's a pretty generic character, go forth and make him/her your own" than an established character in a well-established universe.  Ultimately, it looks like a lot of System Shock meets Deus Ex meets Deus Ex HR meets crazy-good Polish studio and I, at least, am happy to see where this goes.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mpez

This will be interesting. Cyberpunk 2020 was probably one of the 3 most popular paper rpgs in Poland back in the day (next to Warhammer and Call of Cthulhu, d&d wasn't popular). It basically has a cult status for Polish rpg nerds who are like 30-40 now in the same way that the Witcher book series has a cult status for Polish fantasy lovers. Some of cdp writers were part of the rpg fandom back in the days, e.g. Marcin Blacha the lead writer cocreated a Polish rpg magazine which heavily featured Cyberpunk. So it's a second time that they are creating a game in a setting that is really precious to them.

What I'm curious about is how much of the Polish perspective and non-western non-cliche ideas they will bring to this setting. Growing up in post-communist Poland gives you an interesting perspective on dystopian settings, so I'm wondering if this will have an effect on the story. If not then we will have a Deus Ex clone which I'm also kinda ok with.

Like you do realize the pathetically small chunk of games out there that ACTUALLY explore a cyberpunk setting right?

Like, ok, it may not be your cup of tea. But I could just as easily say, "oh GREAT, another standard sci-fi sim game with fighters, and bombers and capships. BORED. Give me something new!"

It says more about what you feel about the setting that what ProjektRed is actually doing with the game. Which seems pretty slick, and as you self admitted, will likely be a fun game. Even if YOU don't like the aesthetics.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:54:14 pm by manwiththemachinegun »

Is it sad that I've watched the 45 min Cyberpunk gameplay footage like 3 times now lol? I just can't get enough of it. For those that got bored I should point out it gets way better after the opening 10-15min mission. Takes me back to so many films like blade Runner, Minority Report, Judge Dread 90s and especially 2012 version, 5th element etc. Reminds me that I need to check out that recent cyberpunk TV show called Altered Carbon! Mates keep talking about it being really good.

I play a lot of futuresynth, 80s synth, retro synth music on youtube and the videos are often accompanied by cool animations of retro futuristic cars driving through cyberpunk style dystopian cities at night with glowing blue and purple nights. In the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay footage when you see them get in the retro sportscar and drive around the city GTA5 style I knew right away that there's gonna be moments where I break off from the main game just go for a drive at night playing some tunes haha.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:52:11 am by Blake00 »
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- MovieTV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'll be doing the very same no doubt.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

OMFG!!! Just as I'd hoped there's a new Cyberpunk 2077 video for E3!!!! Last year I wanted more Blade runner night city stuff and sure enough we got to see that in this one!! and now they've bagged some celebrities too! ;)

Apparently real life Keanu Reeves walked out on to the E3 stage right after this went down and people went nuts lol!

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Emulation

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
1:39+ in this video:

He really had fun overacting that marketing copy.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Luis Dias

Gotta love Keanu, such an amazing dude :D.

Apparently the full big gameplay footage they privately showed at E3 will be out soon publicly at Gamescon. Can't wait to sit down and take it all in like I did with the last big 45min one haha.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation

Sadly it looks like they decided not to show that private E3 gameplay demo however they've made a new 15min 'Deep dive' video for Gamescon followed by a half hour Q&A session with the Devs. Man that nethacker whip thing looks awesome!

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Ahh cyberpunk.   Haha, I'm like...midway between "I might buy a new computer to run it" excited and Fallout 76 levels of "probably-will-suck."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ahh cyberpunk.   Haha, I'm like...midway between "I might buy a new computer to run it" excited and Fallout 76 levels of "probably-will-suck."

Well, CDPR is many things but they are not Bethesda trying to turn a game series known for intricate single-player stories into a multiplayer loot shooter.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns