Author Topic: Slow A$$ ships 😂  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I did a little calculation to translate the Meters per second speeds FS uses into MPH. The Perseus on afterburner is about 140MS. This is roughly 313 MPH. This is slower than a V-22 Osprey Tilt-rotor 😂 No wonder it takes you ages to get anywhere in game 😜
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Well of course, since FS combat was modeled after WW2 planes and therefore extremely simplified and unrealistic. The goal was to have fighters going around absolute behemoths of capships acting as interactive background more or less. This would also explain the huge discrepancies between ship type sizes, for example Fenris being extremely small compared to an Orion, with nothing in between. Or stupidly slow speeds of these capships.

If you wanted to be realistic, you would need to adapt a fully newtonian flight model and that... would be not fun. You would need to actively cancel out your speed literally everywhere, for example during every turn, and it would be yet another layer of complexity over an already hard to pick up due to control complexity game.

This is generally what people call "rule of cool": it isn't realistic, often doesn't make sense at all, but is fun and simplifies gameplay considerably.

That said, I don't think making ships in Freespace faster in general is a bad idea, as long as the rest of the gameplay is tweaked to match this. At this point I'm winding down after playing Solaris a lot, and I'd say that this TC is a very good example to follow in this case. Ships are a couple times faster in general, including capital ships, which also gives a bunch of maneuver space for the mod developer to make speed differences between ships larger and much more meaningful. And the mod definitely takes advantage of this, as capital ships are actually maneuvering there, differences between fighter speeds are larger and mean quite a bit in the battlefield. To match this, Solaris has faster moving weapons, a very important feature of minor aim assist (at these distances and speeds trying to hit tiny fighters is not fun) and a bunch of additional useful movement options for the player (glide, strafe).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Well of course, since FS combat was modeled after WW2 planes and therefore extremely simplified and unrealistic. The goal was to have fighters going around absolute behemoths of capships acting as interactive background more or less. This would also explain the huge discrepancies between ship type sizes, for example Fenris being extremely small compared to an Orion, with nothing in between. Or stupidly slow speeds of these capships.

If you wanted to be realistic, you would need to adapt a fully newtonian flight model and that... would be not fun. You would need to actively cancel out your speed literally everywhere, for example during every turn, and it would be yet another layer of complexity over an already hard to pick up due to control complexity game.

This is generally what people call "rule of cool": it isn't realistic, often doesn't make sense at all, but is fun and simplifies gameplay considerably.

That said, I don't think making ships in Freespace faster in general is a bad idea, as long as the rest of the gameplay is tweaked to match this. At this point I'm winding down after playing Solaris a lot, and I'd say that this TC is a very good example to follow in this case. Ships are a couple times faster in general, including capital ships, which also gives a bunch of maneuver space for the mod developer to make speed differences between ships larger and much more meaningful. And the mod definitely takes advantage of this, as capital ships are actually maneuvering there, differences between fighter speeds are larger and mean quite a bit in the battlefield. To match this, Solaris has faster moving weapons, a very important feature of minor aim assist (at these distances and speeds trying to hit tiny fighters is not fun) and a bunch of additional useful movement options for the player (glide, strafe).

I must get around to trying Solaris. I add a pinch of auto aim to all campaigns nowadays - chiefly to overcome my HOTAS’s dead zone issues which makes bulls eying a target manually tricky. I find it also adds an extra dimension of threat from stealth fighters and heavy EM interference environments, since the auto-aim won’t work. Check out the getting started thread on here to see how to add auto-aim to any campaign 🙂
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Solaris already has aim assist included, its levels varying on difficulty you've chosen.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Solaris already has aim assist included, its levels varying on difficulty you've chosen.

That makes sense. I tend to use the same degree of auto-aim in all campaigns regardless of difficulty - it’s easier to set it up that way for a start. As time has gone on and I have improved I have reduced the degree of auto aim I use. I started with 7, which would lock on to anything inside the ‘ring’ created by the central gauges. Now I’m on 4, Which hardly makes a difference in dogfights now since it is so low. Where it does still make a big difference is in sniping turrets and subsystems from a distance, since a beam dish is a tiny target. With a bank of Maxims I can de-fang a cap ship easily, since as soon as a turret is dead it auto locks onto the next. Granted, sometimes it will auto-lock onto a turret on the opposite side of the ship where you can’t reach it, but use of the target previous/next turret keys solves this 🙂

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
in space, nobody can you hear you zoom past them at mach 10 speeds

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
In my own mod I've doubled fighter/bomber speed at some point which really gives you a great flight feeling, particularly when passing larger warships. Dogfighting, however, becomes extremely difficult. Which is the reason why I ultimately tuned it down to increasing speed for combat craft by only 50% which seems a good compromise.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, most space combat games were more clever in this regard, as they simple introduced own measure units like Clicks, Units etc. which are in fact no different to m/s in terms of speed feeling. But well, you can not prove that :D.

These slow ships are the reason why all the capital ships seems to massive in this game in the first place. If the fighters would be faster than a MiG-25 even the Colossus would be a small flight.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:30:00 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I know the reasons, and I wasn't criticising, I just found it funny and figured I would share a laugh  :p