Author Topic: [Lore] Janus, Beta Aquilae III  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
[Lore] Janus, Beta Aquilae III

[This description is also available on ModDB]

An ancient world
Beta Aquilae III, also known as Janus, is a planet of critical importance to the GTVA. The planet's parent star, more than twice as old as Sol, is nearing the end of its yellow dwarf phase, and will soon transition into a red giant. Beta Aquilae's evolution has warmed Janus's climate over the past few million years. This climatological evolution is contemporaneous with a geologically recent major rifting event which fragmented the extant supercontinent into two major landmasses. A popular bit of apocrypha in-system posits that the first Terran explorers of the system thought the continents resembled two human faces, and so they named the planet after the two-faced Roman god of gates and transitions.

Natural resources and exploitation
Janus's primary strategic value stems from its vast mineral wealth. Approximately 215 million years ago, vast terranes detached from the major continents. When the terranes reunited with their parent continents approximately 120 million years later, those processes, combined with intense carbonatite volcanism generated by ancient subduction zones, created enormous deposits of Rare Earth Elements, or REEs. These elements are essential for the production of most technology, and have been so for the past four centuries. The original purpose of the earliest Janus colonies was to exploit these vast resources. In time, as the colonies grew and production expanded, Janus and its immense mineral wealth became the beating heart of the extrasolar Terran economy, second only to Sol itself. When the Sol jump node collapsed, Janus was the most populated and prosperous world in remaining Terran space. When the Beta Aquilae Convention dissolved the Terran regional blocs in 2358, the GTVA, recognizing the symbolic, cultural, and economic importance of the planet, chose Janus as the capital world of Terran space.

Climate and infrastructures
Janus's climate is warmer than Earth's, but with similar gravity and a breathable atmosphere, little technological intervention is needed to facilitate human habitation on its surface. Colonies, outposts, research facilities and factories have been established all over its surface, ranging from vast deserts to mountain ranges and areas with tropical climates. The planet is crisscrossed with a high-speed rail network integrating the major cities and REE production centers.

Strategic role of the colony
Naturally, the Earth Alliance has a major strategic interest in capturing and holding Janus. Not only would the seizure of the Exiles' capital be a devastating blow to morale and potentially cripple GTVA leadership, it would also secure a supply line for an essential strategic resource that could support further military development.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:41:45 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: [Lore] Janus, Beta Aquilae III
I've always loved Janus.
My fleet mod was called Janus Fleet and would've been released in 2001 if I'd finished it.  Alas....

I would like to stake a claim to property there if possible.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I know that this is just head-canon for Inferno (and it's awesome), but I thought that there were canon statements (or implications?) that the GTVA established its capital on Delta Serpentis? Or did the GTA establish its capital there after Sol was cut off before the GTA collapsed into regional blocks and then the GTVA was established at Beta Aquilae and placed its capital there? I think I'm misremembering.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I know that this is just head-canon for Inferno (and it's awesome), but I thought that there were canon statements (or implications?) that the GTVA established its capital on Delta Serpentis? Or did the GTA establish its capital there after Sol was cut off before the GTA collapsed into regional blocks and then the GTVA was established at Beta Aquilae and placed its capital there? I think I'm misremembering.
Beta Aquilae is canon capital of the GTVA. Other important stuff happened here too, like BETAC. We just added a named planet in Inferno lore.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Yeah, I know Beta Aquilae Convention was established at Beta Aquilae (obviously ;) ), I'm just wondering if there is a canon quote in the database specifically saying that the GTVA's capital is at Beta Aquilae. I tried looking in the FS2 database last night and couldn't find it. Can anyone point out the specific reference in the database  that says Beta Aquilae actually is the GTVA capital or is it merely implied somewhere?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Now is this a purely Terren world?
I'd imagine the Alliance capital would be home/equal rights to both member races.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah, I know Beta Aquilae Convention was established at Beta Aquilae (obviously ;) ), I'm just wondering if there is a canon quote in the database specifically saying that the GTVA's capital is at Beta Aquilae. I tried looking in the FS2 database last night and couldn't find it. Can anyone point out the specific reference in the database  that says Beta Aquilae actually is the GTVA capital or is it merely implied somewhere?

Debriefing of Into the Maelstrom.
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Briefing_texts_(FS2)#Into_the_Maelstrom

"The news from the captial in Beta Aquilae is not good. Support for a negotiated settlement is growing in the Security Council, even with the Colossus now operational. Opponents of the Colossus program denounce the project as a monstrosity prone to logistical failure. For Admiral Petrarch and the Aquitaine, this outcome could not be more disastrous. "

Now is this a purely Terren world?
I'd imagine the Alliance capital would be home/equal rights to both member races.

I believe it's the Terran capital. The Vasudan capital was moved to Aldebaran after the destruction of Vasuda Prime in FS1, and I don't believe it has changed? (Correct me if I'm wrong).
The security council appears to convene in Beta Aquilae though, so presumably Vasudans are welcome, though they likely remain a minority.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================