Author Topic: Crysis 2 multiplayer demo impressions  (Read 9648 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Crysis 2 multiplayer demo impressions
Same here. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the main game was being developed separate from the demo, main version made on the pc while it was forked for the multiplayer demo on the xbox, which was reported back to PC (since that'd be easier and quicker than reforking) which would explain the differences between the leak and demo.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

So, having played the demo till max level (10) and having played it both high and low ping. I can actually report some good news. After ofcourse turning down the settings from 1080p to 720p I have achieved over 60fps stable framerate and there is actually much less blur that it doesn't bother me.

So yeah. First of all, the netcode is SOLID. Since I've now played at 240 ping and knows how it feels. It is actually great, I was mighty impressed by it
High ping playing (Game ended quickly :P)

and Low Ping

I might actually buy it, my world rank on the demo server after playing for a night was 586 out of 120k :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:07:17 am by Hero_Swe »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I've got a real sinking feeling about the PC edition of this title. It first came around when I got annoyed and uninstalled the demo...

...Because having sat through the unskippable introduction movies, I couldn't even create an account.

Something tells me that as much as I loved Crysis/Warhead, I won't be shelling out for Crysis 2.

So apperently, the multiplayer demo is a port of the X360 version which is an port of the PC version?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I know, it's the ****tiest thing. I expect they'll lose more orders than they gain from this terrible terrible demo.

I've got a real sinking feeling about the PC edition of this title. It first came around when I got annoyed and uninstalled the demo...

...Because having sat through the unskippable introduction movies, I couldn't even create an account.

Something tells me that as much as I loved Crysis/Warhead, I won't be shelling out for Crysis 2.

You can disable the intro movies with the command line stuff I posted above.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Cheers General, I'll make a mental note of that - just incase the full game proves better than the demo and I need it for that instead.

But as it is I can't even access any game play. A bit of a terrible sign in a demo! ;)

Been playing some of it today, with mixed results - I did have to switch back to Gamer on my gaming laptop, but it didnt help much. Game played really fluid after a short while. Won a few rounds as number one, came out last in one of them. Skyline with a sniper rifle was my worst idea though, so switching back to Soldier helped.

I like the guns, the graphics are very impressive (Though its crazy this is only a DX9 port-of-a-port demo..), and the game would run a whole lot better with the DX11 options available. Both my laptop and PC support that for a reason.

Weird decisions but a good good taste of Crysis 2. I'm overall pretty positive.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

First impressions were lots of  :mad: at the consolitis, terrible bloom, terrible mouse acceleration, blur, periscope fov, no iron sight or crouch toggle, ect. ect.

And then I found the command lines to shut all of these things off and it became playable and then fun. Although the thermal vision thing desperately needs to die.

edit: cmd lines for anyone interested/too lazy to look on the steam forums:

bloom is +r_glow=0
other new ones are +i_mouse_accel=0 and +cl_zoomToggle=1 and +cl_crouchToggle=1
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hey how do I turn off mouse acceleration?

(also, any ironsight toggle?)

Oh. edited into the above.

and a couple more less essential (or possibly doing nothing)

r_hdrlevel=5 , pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=80 , r_DrawNearFoV=80

in theory they should fix the edges, the changing fov when you sprint or slide and the massive gun size.... I don't really see any difference with the first one though, so it might not work.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm already using FOV and motion blur fixes, those rock.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, fixed up properly, this game is actually a lot of fun. After talking with Hero_Swe a bit (who is a beast at this game) I went from a good stealth player to a great armor player, KDR went up from 1.8 to 2.2.

You can play very very smart and very tactically in this game. It helps that everyone else is a moron, but the nanosuit really does change things up and give you a lot of options compared to something like CoD.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I think my kill death ratio is about .38 :<

That's mostly from the first time I tried playing without fixing it up, where I couldn't do ****. Doesn't help any that the game still has some bad fps issues here and there.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
The 360 version felt horrible.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The 360 version felt horrible.

That's because of the ****ty motion blur, if they'd just turn that off it's a pretty good game.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I didn't mind that too much, it just that it was very clustered up. I'm not sure how to put it, but it was nothing like the gameplay videos of the actual game, so I'm not too concerned.