Author Topic: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread  (Read 391196 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread
Zoic was f'ing amazing and I'll stab the bastard who thinks otherwise.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's testament to DaB's skill that his version doesn't look comical like the in house Raider.  I'm always confused as to why they went about replacing the old models with utter dren.  Seems like every time I see stills from season three and four I can't help but cringe.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Zoic was f'ing amazing and I'll stab the bastard who thinks otherwise.

Dont tell that to Darth Mojo.Hell get pissed.Have any of you read his blog?Theres some interesting stuff on it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, it would be very, very strange indeed for people working on a game set in the BSG universe to read things that deal with ship models used on the show. No, they probably just make it all up in their own heads or something. God forbid they use external sources for their research.

That said, there's an authenticity and naturalness to the Zoic stuff that the later seasons just lack, never mind the random redesigning they did of ships that didn't really need a redesign in the first place.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Quite so. Something about the Zoic models feels more believable.

One reason is that zoics models wernt as shiny looking.Which made them more realistic.I think the retconned raider should be considered a MarkIII or MarkIIE.Because thats what it really is.Though I did like in houses tos centurions.As well as there awesome tos basestars and raiders.Which they did do a great job on.

Offline newman

The raider wasn't technically retconned, as iirc they kept using the old one alongside the new one. So it's basically an advanced raider. Which is what it's going to be in the game. Simple as that.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Zoics Centurions looked, imo, far better then the Inhouse ones. It's not the shape, it's...the Inhouse were less "chromy" then Zoic ones ( can't describe it, they just look wrong to me ) maybe it's just a different lighting they used, but still.

The Razor versions of the TOS stuff looks cool ( still dunno what to think about fully plated Galactica class Battlestars, though  :blah: ), no question. So do some of the new effects they introduced in season 3+4.
Inhouse had a soft spot for bloomy effects, which looks cool in some scenes and in others not
Zoics work is better.

Offline YIIMM

The raider wasn't technically retconned, as iirc they kept using the old one alongside the new one. So it's basically an advanced raider. Which is what it's going to be in the game. Simple as that.

I know that was definitely the case with the MkVII's, but are there any shots of the original (Zoic) raiders next to the newer design?

I don't believe so (unless you count a very, very brief shot of the full-sized raider prop getting brain surgery in an early season 4 ep. And if you count that as evidence, you may as well say it was a separate design the whole time, considering how different it was from the original CG version). And since the retconned raider was seen in several miniseries-era flashbacks (starting with it's debut), it seems like a tough case to make that it's an upgrade.

Of course, I seem to be in the minority here. The only pre-retcon design I like better than it's successor is the Viper Mark VII. Well, and I preferred the retconned centurions when they still had their giant claws, before they got their comically small humanoid hands for the last couple episodes.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
They still have claws, but they can fold in the claws :P
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline newman

If you want to retcon something and pretend the old version never existed, you might want to edit it out of the intro :P In any event, I don't see how can having both versions instead of just one bother anyone. More fighter variety is good.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
More fighter variety is good.
Full Ack!

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Well, let's just make up an explanation.

The Cylons realized that the humans could blow up a resurrection ship, so they built newer raiders with more memory capacity so that they wouldn't need to die a few times to have a lot of experience.

[/bsing]
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Kurtz

Re: The official Diaspora eye candy thread
I really like these new raiders, but I prefer the originals, they are more elegant and I think they seem more alive. But I didn't see them in-game so maybe I'm wrong.
I don't speak English very well. Sorry if I make some mistakes when I write :)

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
am i the only one that prefere inhouse ships? the background of the battle too is better than the old one... and i really love mkVII E
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline CooperHawkes

• NippleNeck (at least i got something to play with)
Blasphemy!

seriously, dont start the "why zoic is better than the inhouse-team"-discussion. You could fill pages and the result would always be zoic > inhouse.
take me out to the black,
tell 'em i ain't coming back,
i don't care, i'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
frack you!!!!  ;)  ;)  ;)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
am i the only one that prefere inhouse ships? the background of the battle too is better than the old one...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'd like to see that Mk. VIIE with a nuke attached, if that's possible...

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke