Author Topic: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!  (Read 123440 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Re: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!
Won't start up for me; gives an error saying 'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.'
I have no idea what might be causing that but a google search would suggest that it might have something to do with this or something similar.

Strange, I got it to open just fine.  However, upon opening (or importing) a DAE file, it seems to terminate the load and leave me with a blank render window.
Does the input file follow the naming scheme in the wiki page?
It should be saving a log file where the input is of all the bits it finds.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Hey, yeah it starts up now, thanks. :)

Now I'm getting the same thing chief reports - it appears to get halfway through the load and give up on the helpers version of the test ship. Here's the log output:

/I:/Blender/TestShipOne_Helpers.dae
/I:/Blender/TestShipOne_Helpers.dae#Shield-Geometry
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
That's probably because it expects lowercase for most of the helper names. It looks like it did the shields though. If it doesn't find a detail0, the output's going to be pretty boring.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Ah ok - yeah that's what it wanted. :)
Would it be possible to make it all case independent though? I hate to think how many times I'd forget that little tidbit in future. ;)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'm trying to look into smoothing stuff now, but have hit a bit of a snag. Upon trying to convert the smoothing test model, it crashes with an array out of bounds error. The log shows:

/I:/Blender/SmoothingTest.dae
/I:/Blender/SmoothingTest.dae#detail0
/I:/Blender/SmoothingTest.dae#Cube

(Cube is the name of the mesh, detail0 the name of the object)

The model is here:
http://game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/MVP3610BETA/SmoothingTest.zip
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
It sort of expects uv mapping for everything except shields, but I've uploaded a version that'll survive that.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
ROFL @ "UV not found. How very boring." :D

Anyway, from this test it looks like there's no smoothing of any kind being applied to models. I really need to look into how to use blenders systems for smoothing properly before I continue though.

Edit: No wait, I speak too soon - it looks like it actually supports different types of smoothing within the same mesh already. Whether that's something you've implemented or just how the models are stored with regards to smoothing, this is awesome. :D

It doesn't seem to support autofaceted stuff though - they just come out as smoothed. Here are three cylinder input files with the different smoothing types applied:
http://game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/MVP3610BETA/SmoothingTypes.zip
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:19:37 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Currently it isn't looking for any smoothing at all and I think I've got it using the default value that the cob converter uses.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's going to be much desired for better support than that.  Max has some amazing smoothing features, and it seems Blender has some nice stuff too.  Modelers are going to take the time to get them just right, so this converter would be much more useful if it could understand the smoothing information.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
The smoothed and autofaceted files seem to be identical apart from the times. What is the autofaceted one supposed to do/be?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Yeah I was afraid that would be the case. Just confirmed it now with word's compare document thingie.

Autofacet is supposed to be where any angles between two connected polygon's normals that are below a specified angle (45° in this case) are smoothed, and any above are faceted. The idea is that autofacet with a good angle will smooth parts that are supposed to be smooth and facet parts that are supposed to be faceted.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
It seems that smoothing is dependent on the vertex normals, given that that's the difference between the faceted and smoothed versions. Since the importer sticks with whatever the input file has, it should preserve any smoothing present in the source file, unless of course it's stored in other ways too...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Unfortunately the 'autofacet' setting in blender I think is just a rendertime flag rather a trigger to actually perform autofaceting. :\
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Well that's a bugger. I have started working on the dae saver though. Again the most annoying parts are probably the textures and rotations.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken