Author Topic: Joining The Diaspora Team  (Read 80333 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
Be sure to watch it with good speakers, or a good headset with bass ;)

Cool, but...

what about those of us (and all people who eventually play it) without good bass? :(

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
How would it be any different than a sound that lacked a low end altogether?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

I guess I'm worried about the sound relying on good bass in order to sound good, instead of having good bass just be a plus. Hopefully unmerited fear. :)

Offline Agba

its not the worst thing too have no( or not the best bass) but most effects are bass- bassed like the MEC gun or explosions. These things sounds much better with bass.
And the video, is full of gun an explosion sounds :D

Things like Engines, or smaller effects like the ftl doesn`t need the bass but...these things arent seen in the video.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

I guess I'm worried about the sound relying on good bass in order to sound good, instead of having good bass just be a plus. Hopefully unmerited fear. :)

The audiophile in me thinks that any such sound needs good bass in order to sound good.  The rest of me tends to agree.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:26:01 pm by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Hel

What about the new graphic designers needed? I was reading on the first page that you are looking for some but, is there any specified field? Like, you are looking for wide-size texturings for planets, ships, or what.  Thanks  :rolleyes:

Offline newman

Why don't you tell us what you can do, followed with examples of your work? What we could use are both 3d artists and graphic designers. In a 3d artist, we look for someone who can model, uvw and texture good enough to meet Diaspora's art standards. As for graphic designers, we could use some for work on the GUI. In any event we do need to see your work, so post some examples.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Hi guys, I'm new here. I lurk occasionally but finally decided to join to ask a question. I know the first post says you don't need voice actors but there will be an eventual casting call. I'd swear I once read something about a call sometime last year -- is that accurate or am I crazy? And if there was, will there be another? If there wasn't... I know return you to your regularly scheduled programing   :lol:

Offline newman

I can't tell you if you're crazy, that's between you and your shrink. There was a casting call, however - here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,61917.0.html

While it has officially ended, we can always use a good voice actor so there's nothing stopping you from following the instructions at the thread and e-mailing us the samples.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Richard

Helle kara,

I'm here to see if you need other translations?.
If you need help same as the last time I can translate in french.

Regards,

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We're still not in need of translations yet but I definitely will contact you once we are.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kurtz

That would be great if the game is translate in french. I will be able to help too if you want, i speak French perfectly and I'm good in English( I hope... lol ).

Richard, it's good to see someone who speak french here. =)

I don't speak English very well. Sorry if I make some mistakes when I write :)

Offline newman

Sorry, I just found this too funny to resist :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:39:55 pm by newman »

Offline Kurtz

When I write, I'm not good in English but I understand when i read or listen someone speak. That's why I wrote " I don't speak English very well ". =) I find this funny too now.
I don't speak English very well. Sorry if I make some mistakes when I write :)

Offline newman

Don't worry about it, I posted it as a joke - have to admit it looks pretty funny :)

Offline Richard

Yep very funny lol.

So I speak french because I'm french. Normal =D
So If you want to help we have to wait to have something to translate.

Don't worry you write a really good english for me =)

Offline Rohhan

Hello folks,

I am wondering if help is still needed? Everyone is a BSG fan ;) so I simply skip that and talk about what I can do. I know C/C++ by heart, have done some basic OpenGL coding, and occasionally do some 2D vector graphics stuff. Many years ago I did some 3D modeling + animation with 3D Studio (it would actually be fun to get back into that for a change). I might also be of help with porting to Mac and Linux; they have been my main development platforms for a while.

So if any help is needed, throw it at me and I won't disappoint. (Of course, something simple in the beginning to get warmed up.)

Later,
-- Rohhan

Offline newman

Hello folks,

I am wondering if help is still needed? Everyone is a BSG fan ;) so I simply skip that and talk about what I can do. I know C/C++ by heart, have done some basic OpenGL coding, and occasionally do some 2D vector graphics stuff. Many years ago I did some 3D modeling + animation with 3D Studio (it would actually be fun to get back into that for a change). I might also be of help with porting to Mac and Linux; they have been my main development platforms for a while.

So if any help is needed, throw it at me and I won't disappoint. (Of course, something simple in the beginning to get warmed up.)

Later,
-- Rohhan

I'm not a coder, I do 3d and 2d texture stuff for the team, but it seems to me that pretty much every skill you listed there can be very useful to us. I'll direct the great lead.. er, project leader to your post, he'll probably get back to you soonish.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The best thing to do is to get on IRC with us and have a chat with the team. The details are in the FAQ thread posted at the top of this forum.

Failing that just post on here and I'll give you some details on how to get started working with us.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hey there. You said your looking for 3d Animators. I started out animating some BSG stuff early this year and it soon grew on me. I use A photo shop like program to add effects to the animations. Unfortunately a few months ago my PC suffered a Meltdown and hand to be replaced. I now got a better one and am in the process of restoring all my model files. Animations unfortunately i have to say is not infact my best point, I work better with still frames and turning them into propaganda if you will. However I have been known to make some sweet animations. The problem with doing BSG animations is the 3d models are very complex and require allot of time to render and often draw allot of CPU when you are editing the scene so it makes it difficult to fine tune your scenes while your screen may be lagging slightly. I now have a I5 processor in my new PC and a better graphics card so fingers crossed i can overcome that hiccup. The other problem is the camera, In BSG the style of the shots is as if someone was using a handy cam. That is very hard to emulate manually and i haven't yet been able to find a script which will give some realistic camera wobble. which is why as you will see i try to make it as if there is a camera man involved (by using lots of zoom) but make it a steady cam version until i find a suitable script. So if you want check out my channel, however my best video (which is the most recent) is infact star trek related and not BSG. I will be rolling out a new video very soon But should you choose to hire me I would prefer to work on 2d textures/ Propaganda That sort of stuff until i can work out the dents in my animating.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bluetorchproductions#p/a/u/2/LBiskV8e7oA

is my channel

and if you want to see a couple of 2d renders (possibly good art for loading screens) i will cook one or two up for you tonight while STO patches =P