Author Topic: Megaincreased loading times with deferred renderer?  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Megaincreased loading times with deferred renderer?
Well I'm thinking BP will ensure the texture DXT types will be correct, but the MediaVPs Colossus has a giant DXT3 map that increases loading times by like 45 seconds and there probably won't be any update to that for some time, so getting a in-game check on this stuff would still probably be a good idea.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Yeah. I've been testing my BoE mission for Shattered Stars right now, I've noticed that the loading times have been increased as well. Note that I'm using a PBR build to test it.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah if you don't have transparency you should ditch the alpha channel. But still, I don't want any existing assets to needlessly have long load times which is why I'm willing to find a programmatic solution. Unless you guys think this is okay now that we've figured it out.
Well, if you can do it without too much effort, go for it, but don't spend days of work only to support a lousy texturing practice. The correct way to deal with the problem is to ensure every map is in a format it should be in. DXT3 is a waste of memory and HD space when an alpha channel isn't actually needed.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
DXT1, on the other hand, has issues when it comes to reproducing colours accurately. It's not a very good compression format.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Axem

But DXT1 does just a good a job at screwing up colors as DXT3 and 5. I did some comparisons and looked at the difference in quality between the three and there was zero difference. Is there some hidden setting you're keeping a secret? :p

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
DXT1, on the other hand, has issues when it comes to reproducing colours accurately. It's not a very good compression format.
There literally shouldn't be any difference between 1 3 and 5 when it comes to rbg
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We figured out the problem I believe.