Author Topic: My first mission ever :)  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
updated file- new Version has a few updates that should reduce the pace a bit. On easy difficulty, the ship made it out several times, but it was balanced enough so that it survived at hard difficulty as well :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

I tried to download your mission, but I got a nice error 404. Is my browser faulty, is the problem on your side or am I even unable to follow a link without getting lost?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Worked fine for me. Try again now. It may have been a temporary glitch.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

It was actually a problem with Geocities and perhaps the way my broswer handles links. Geocities seems to hate remote linking, and it didn't work as I only clicked on the link. Now that I reload the link, it works fine.

Anyway, I will give it a try as soon as possible now that the problem is no more. (Silly me) Thanks Karajorma for incinting me to try again!

Offline magatsu1

can I add a couple of thoughts ?

*does anyway*
I think the briefings were too long. And I'd change the debris ships to friendly so the battle music isn't on all the time.

:)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by magatsu1
can I add a couple of thoughts ?

*does anyway*
I think the briefings were too long. And I'd change the debris ships to friendly so the battle music isn't on all the time.

:)

I agree with you about the command briefing. This is probably something that would be sorted out if the mission was part of a campaign though.

The debris is a good idea :)

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by karajorma

I agree with you about the command briefing. This is probably something that would be sorted out if the mission was part of a campaign though.

The debris is a good idea :)

It is part of a campaign...or at least, it was supposed to be ;)

I'm working on Mission 2 of it now, but will edit the previous mission with the second suggestion given :)

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Version updated :)

Offline magatsu1

someone here listens to me ??
I try and keep briefings to about 4 or 5 stages.
:cool:

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
I've done mission 2 of this; but before I do anymore stuff (like briefings, de-briefings, etc) I'd like some help playtesting it just to make sure all the stuff works right and its actually playable (and maybe fun too) :)
Any volunteers? :D

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Hmm.....no volunteers?
Guess the mission goes out as good as i can make it on my own then. Or should I not bother since i obviously seem to suck at FREDing?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Make the mission and you'll find people willing to try it :)

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by Singh
Hmm.....no volunteers?
Guess the mission goes out as good as i can make it on my own then. Or should I not bother since i obviously seem to suck at FREDing?

No one said that.
Don't be so damn stroppy ! ;)

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
I've playtested this as much as possible, and its a good mission to me. Don't mind hte long boring period in hte beggining, its meant as a dialogue opener, and things get hard enough after that.
If its too easy, please, give me suggestions to improve that- i've been playing on hard and completed it nearly every time!
If its buggy or something, please take note that im dead tired and might have made changes last-minute, in which case, i apologize in advance and will fix it in the morning.

www.geocities.com/anandraj_singh_d/Control.zip

Well, I finally got my hands on fs_open (DSL is good for something afterall... ;7 ) and so I was able to play your missions...

Your first mission! (proton.zip)
I can't say anything bad about it.  Thanks to those Fenris cruisers and their AA beams, I got whacked to 6% hull integrity.  Needless to say, when all those hostiles jumped in at the end, I made a beeline for the node after I finished the scanning.  Didn't even need to bother the Sobek on the way out wither! :)

Your second mission!
I wasn't able to complete this mission because I got this error message:

Error: Distance of 0 is invalid in mission_set_arrival_location

File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
Line: 4802

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    FS2_OPEN_R.EXE 011b81f8()
    FS2_OPEN_R.EXE 011b50f8()
    FS2_OPEN_R.EXE 011b2fb8()
    FS2_OPEN_R.EXE 01159f38()
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not quite sure what's going on, aside from what the error message implies.  I take you didn't get this error, so... :confused:

EDIT:  I found the problem.  Kilo wing has an arrival distance of zero from "any friendly".  I suspect this is the problem.  Change this to 1000 or something.  You don't want Kilo wing jumping in right in front of Alpha 1,2,3 or 4.  (Besides, this would make Kilo sitting ducks for a few critical seconds.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 04:30:30 pm by 1077 »

And another thing! (I really should do my research before posting... :o )

In "First Step", the mission objective where you need to scan the wrecks is listed as a bonus objective.  I think it should pop up as a secondary or primary objective at the appropriate time since you need to do it anyway to complete the mission.  The Tomak will not warp in unless you have completed the 'bonus' objective.

I usually see bonus objectives as those objectives which are purely optional, not necessary.  A better way to do 'First Step' would be to give the player a limited time to scan the wrecks before the Tomak arrives.  Therefore, the objective is truly a bonus objective.

Of course, this would mean that mission 2 would be changed since you need the information on the wrecked Leviathan.  Perhaps you may wish to have another 'mission two' as an alternative if you do not scan the Leviathan.  But then, you'd need another way of arming Alpha wing with bombs...  Complications and more complications... :nervous:

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by kv1at3485
And another thing! (I really should do my research before posting... :o )

In "First Step", the mission objective where you need to scan the wrecks is listed as a bonus objective.  I think it should pop up as a secondary or primary objective at the appropriate time since you need to do it anyway to complete the mission.  The Tomak will not warp in unless you have completed the 'bonus' objective.

I usually see bonus objectives as those objectives which are purely optional, not necessary.  A better way to do 'First Step' would be to give the player a limited time to scan the wrecks before the Tomak arrives.  Therefore, the objective is truly a bonus objective.

Of course, this would mean that mission 2 would be changed since you need the information on the wrecked Leviathan.  Perhaps you may wish to have another 'mission two' as an alternative if you do not scan the Leviathan.  But then, you'd need another way of arming Alpha wing with bombs...  Complications and more complications... :nervous:

Scanning the ships IS optional- Command even nudges Alpha into running for it if the situation is too hostile. You can leave at any time, the only thing limiting is the distance to the node, thats all. The tomak only appears after you've scanned the things and makes it harder to get out, whereas just running would be hte easy way out, but you dont have a sobek or fighters to worry about either :D

Also, i carefully worded the second mision to say 'prelimanary scans' not 'your scans', so the information is not really needed in this mission. Same with the bombs, but this will affect the outcomes in maybe the 3rd mission onwards.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Zip updated and fixed. try now :)

Well, the mission works now.  Very good.

I did notice that in debriefing stage one you have
"$r GTD $r Totality".
Get rid of both '$r'.  They only work in command briefings and regular briefings, not debriefings.

Aside from that, keep up the good work!

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by kv1at3485
Well, the mission works now.  Very good.

I did notice that in debriefing stage one you have
"$r GTD $r Totality".
Get rid of both '$r'.  They only work in command briefings and regular briefings, not debriefings.

Aside from that, keep up the good work!

I'll fix that little bug a bit later (little time now)
Anyone else have comments? (can be good or bad) :D