Author Topic: RELEASE - Freespacelancer  (Read 9811 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
yup. :D

then you say, "we'll see".
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
just tried FSL. what the heck was that? isn't there supposed to be something a little different than "fly for XXXX, yay!" or something? you said there was an appearence from the MD. Where is it?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Its a subtle reference from DEM...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oookay. if i reply any more i'll be reconsidered a n00b. (really though, where is the reference?)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I already said there wasn't going to be any combat.  It's just a demonstration of how the campaign would work.  An outline.

The Mission Designer appears in the Award Ceremony mission - the one where you check your score.  As I said, you can check your score by jumping out farther than 500m away from any object.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
this is...interesting. Ive studied the campiagn structure, the sexP's are pretty simple from what I can see.....

Would you mind if i put in a little content there and see how the entire thing would cope? You know, like an actual mission or two where ye do stuff :D

With FSOpen and actual variables, the possibilities are quite enormous for this :drevil:
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sure; the reason I posted it was to inspire people to come up with an actual playable campaign. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Goober5000
I already said there wasn't going to be any combat.  It's just a demonstration of how the campaign would work.  An outline.

The Mission Designer appears in the Award Ceremony mission - the one where you check your score.  As I said, you can check your score by jumping out farther than 500m away from any object.

*Slaps head* i'm a dope!

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
great idea this.

now, all it needs is to have some mission data, mission choices, etc.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Goober5000
That dialog (the only one that's finished so far) is for generating filenames for sound files.  It uses the same format that Volition used, except it's a little more customizable.  Put a few letters in each text box and see what the result is.  Then click "Generate Filenames" and check out the messages in the event editor. ;)

I figured that much out. It's fairly easy to figure out what the Briefing stage etc text boxes do. What perplexed me are the campaign and mission boxes. They don't actually correspond to anything I can think of and unlike the other 4 they don't actually make an exaple filename appear when you type into them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
i reckon the hardest part would be to create a "living galaxy" as it were.   y'know, ships going about their usual routines, and the like.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i've always thought about doing that... *goes to make an alive mission*

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Turnsky
i reckon the hardest part would be to create a "living galaxy" as it were.   y'know, ships going about their usual routines, and the like.

True. I think it's possible. PVs make it easier but it probably would have been possible using retail (unless the SEXP node limit got you first).

Maybe something to think about after I've completed work on SoR :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
I figured that much out. It's fairly easy to figure out what the Briefing stage etc text boxes do. What perplexed me are the campaign and mission boxes. They don't actually correspond to anything I can think of and unlike the other 4 they don't actually make an exaple filename appear when you type into them.
They do, but you have to have text typed into all the boxes.  They represent the abbreviation for the campaign and the mission.  They're only added to the filename when there is a filename to add to. ;)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You'd have to reduce load times, though. Imagine if these systems were full of living ships? You'd be looking at three or four loads in as many minutes. With each load taking about 2 or 3 minutes on a slow computer (or 5 or 6 on a really slow one), you'd really reduce playing time.

Goober, You are very inventive, This is great stuff. A for implementation.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Turnsky

Actually, it's possible using persistant variables. It depends directly on how many missions you have in the entire 'universe' as it were. If the total number of missions available were 30, you'd need 30 variables for each mission. SexPs are usefull, but they have a tendency to run out. Using variables, you can set the arrival cue of ships as true or false, depending on the value of them.

Say I've completed a mission, then I'd set that mission's variable to 1. After this, when I jump back to Sector A, either a new ship will be there with it's arrival cue set to the variable being 1, or the station will be under attack and it'll be directly connected to the previous mission (and the value of the variable) and occur after its done, allowing for a continuing storyline, sub-storylines and so much more.

But then, as mentioned before, there is the immense loading problems....
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Make the missions in each sector long enough and the loading problems go away somewhat.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
What would make this even more potent would be a spawn-sexp, instead setting the arrival cue for a ship already placed in a mission you could place ships into the mission - ergo spawn them - with the sexp itself.

BTW - IMHO some sort of "don't reload stuff" into the memory optimization would be a godsend for this type of campaign.

Finally - Goober you stole my idea! (Nah...just kidding) The very fact you though out how to implement it with the already availible resources could result in a plethora of new "dynamic" (...sorta) campaigns excelent work.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And as I mentioned before, taylor's new 3.6.5 code makes those problems obsolete. ;) Stuff is cached between missions, so you don't unload anything you need to use again.