Author Topic: Acani  (Read 3068 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, I want to request an update to Acani.

Specifically, for it to have the same functions as ANI Builder, but with command line controls.

Would this be possible/how difficult might this be?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
So, I want to request an update to Acani.

Specifically, for it to have the same functions as ANI Builder, but with command line controls.

Would this be possible/how difficult might this be?
What is Acani?  Where does it come from?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
it's in the freespace2_public source code download according to Goober. Goober built a test build for me just now.

It has a bug where certain pixels get messed up. I'm going to attach an example soon.

Also, it's command line interface doesn't accept the * wildcard. I would like it if I could tell it to convert *0000.pcx rather than have to put the whole test0000.pcx.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:21:49 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
What does it do now and what do you want it to do?

Also, it's command line interface doesn't accept the * wildcard. I would like it if I could tell it to convert *0000.pcx rather than have to put the whole test0000.pcx.
That sounds like a shell limitation.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
What does it do now and what do you want it to do?

That sounds like a shell limitation.
IIRC mjn.mixael use Windows so that doesn't come as a surprise, cmd.exe is a pretty crappy shell.  On the other hand, it is very easy to emulate the feature in windows applications (if I can find the source).
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
id rather see the complete deprecation of ani and other 8 bit formats (except for compatibility), than see effort wasted on new ani tools. of course thats just me.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
id rather see the complete deprecation of ani and other 8 bit formats (except for compatibility), than see effort wasted on new ani tools. of course thats just me.
So who is going to write all of this code to deprecate .ani?

Besides, if I understand correctly, the tool is already written it just has some bugs.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Really just the one bug. I'd still like wildcard support, but I've written my scripts so that I don't even require that anymore.

Also, .ani is not bad for many of the types of anims that don't require a lot of color. Heck.. even most of the FS1 and FS2 cbanims look just fine because they have color schemes that don't exceed more than about 3 major colors.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:57:51 am by mjn.mixael »