Novachen:

OVER 40
NEW MISSIONS

Requires Full Version of
FREESPACE
THE GREAT WAR™
sort of
Heyya guys,

actually this is a package that lie on my Hard Disk for some time already.
This one give the Missions from the Silent Threat Expansion Pack in FreeSpace Port some treatment.
In the FreeSpace Port, these missions are much unaltered from their 1998 release, which results in some mission bugs and missing enhancements like FSOpen Nebulae.

It was planned to release it together with one of NTP's FreeSpace Port translations... but as NTP is frozen right now due to personal reasons, i decided to release that one now. I will simple later release a NTP compatibility update that would add all the needed translation support.

What are the Contents?
• 12 revised Silent Threat campaign missions.
• 12 official Volition cooperative multiplayer missions that were converted and rebalanced for single player.
• 25 revised Community Single Player missions.

What are the Changes?
• Nebulae for all missions.
• Every mission has an assigned Soundtrack, now.
• All Missions were playtested and played through successfully at least once on Hard difficulty. It is the difficulty i also recommend for this.
• If there is a CBrief in a mission, it got the same look of the CBriefs in the main game.
• "Order of the Eye", "Supplies, Supplies!" and "The Manhattan Project" were replaced with more recent versions, that were released back then on Volition Watch.
• All three missions got (partial) Voice Acting due to this process.

What is not in it?
• This package does not make the Mission Disk to the best Expansion Pack that was ever released. Most missions are still below average by today's standards. But at least they look better and they are most likely work like intended, now.
• All missions that are from the "The Destiny of Peace" and "Awakenings" campaigns were omitted, because both campaigns are available as a superior standalone release.
• No Multiplayer Missions. I actually already have revised and rebalanced all multiplayer missions, including the Silent Threat campaign, too. Maybe they will follow at a later date.
• No Translation Support. So this package supports only english.

Are there special mentions?
• There are three types of missions. md-xx.fs2 are the Silent Threat campaign missions. mdsm-xx.fs2 are the missions by Volition (so they are canon) and mdu-xx.fs2 are all community missions.
• "Virginia's Run" was altered, because the original mission is way too similar to one of the converted Volition cooperative missions. The battle in this mission is much longer now and was changed with a Highscore Hunting in mind. How much kills you can get before the mission ends or you die?

What happened in the Update, is there a changelog?
Version 1.0.2:
• mdu-17 "Shadows": Fixed and Changed Arrival and Departure Cues for several ships and wings. Also the Kamikaze of the Nimitz with the Ran will always happen, now.

Version 1.0.1:
• mdu-16 "The GTI Shadow": The debriefing was fixed.
• mdu-17 "Shadows": Unknown is now scannable. Nightingale will also depart if the Barnett gets destroyed.

What are the Requirements?
• Not as much, the missions were updated during the FreeSpace Port 3.5 days.
• I used however the FSOpen 3.8.1 Nightly from 28th August 2018 for them. This should be the build everything is working at least.
• Have to admit, that i can not guarantee that all missions are still working like they should with FSPort 3.6.9 and FSOpen 21.4. However i did a few sampleplays and they worked at least. The included mod.ini in the manual download is however set correctly for the most recent FSPort version, the FSOInstaller version also needs the most recent FSPort as a dependency.

Where can i get this?
Current Version is: 1.0.2
• MediaFire or Sectorgame
• FSOInstaller
• Knossos

Have fun,

Jenna

Goober5000:
Great to see this!

Trivial Psychic:
I'm not sure why, but a number of assets are coming up in the lab as the stock models or semi-upgraded ones instead of their newest Hi-Poly designs.  Faustus, Aten, Jackal, Lucifer, the Terran Probe, and possibly the Ursa... it looks a little under-detailed to my eyes.

Novachen:

--- Quote from: Trivial Psychic on November 01, 2021, 12:09:25 am ---I'm not sure why, but a number of assets are coming up in the lab as the stock models or semi-upgraded ones instead of their newest Hi-Poly designs.  Faustus, Aten, Jackal, Lucifer, the Terran Probe, and possibly the Ursa... it looks a little under-detailed to my eyes.

--- End quote ---

Mh... as there is no ships.tbl or .tbm in this mod...  :wtf:

I have to admit, that i messed up the right mod sequence in the mod.ini then. :nervous:
secondarylist = fsport-mediavps_45X,fsport,mjnhalls,MediaVPs_45X; is the right one. So switch the fsport-mediavps_45X with the fsport one.
Package was updated with the right one. Same version, so no changelog.

Knossos should be unaffected by this?

Trivial Psychic:
I just finished "The GTI Shadow" MDU-16, and after eliminating all enemies and saving the station with only a few percent hull damage to it, I got both the Victory and Failure debriefings.

Also, in MDU-17 "Shadows", there is a directive to scan an unknown ship (which is a Mephisto class), but it isn't scannable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version