Author Topic: Ask a crew member  (Read 279690 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I suspect the answers lay with the fact the Cyrva fighters have robot modes and intermediate settings

That would suggest bad design if they don't easily switch back and forth but instead have everything always running for both all the time. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I suspect the answers lay with the fact the Cyrva fighters have robot modes and intermediate settings

That would suggest bad design if they don't easily switch back and forth but instead have everything always running for both all the time. :P

how about this one the Cyrva handle data better than us apes so have decided that it would be better to use some of the of the processing power we would use to reduce data overload on the pilot and put it to something like managing ship systems helping with the performance advantage they have like lateral movement which us apes find so tricky to implement
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Norbert-

Erm.... Ray III-E....

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Erm.... Ray III-E....

is a limited implementation that comes with drawbacks
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Norbert-

So they had to remove some armor to fit in the thrusters that allow lateral movement and higher manouverbility, but it still shows that it isn't tricky for Humans to build ships with lateral thrusters, it just didn't fit into their design philosophy prior to the invasion (massproduction of realtively cheap ships rather than top-of-the-line high-cost ships).

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I really suspect a human could fly an Aestival if you just patched the software. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

There is the matter of the extremely sensitive controlls, on top of the data overflow to consider. So I guess most Humans don't have the necessary reaction speed to handle them effectively in battle.

I'd still like to know how well Dawn could handle them though.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Quote from: Nuclear1
Well anyway...Dawn, besides letting you control Infi, what effect did the genetic alteration have on your mind?
Quote from: -Norbert-
A slight tendency to precognition as hinted in the background story and shown ingame. Dawn had a "strange feeling" right before the prometheus frame was blasted by the Fura'ngle capships and lost it's beams.
Quote from: ssmit132
Also, she was able to detect the incoming Cordi ships before the Explorer when they ended up in Alpha Draconis.

"It also, unfortunately, made me an incredible amount more empathic than I used to be. The mood of others greatly influences my own.
I've started to develop a bit of a hatred for emotional people these days..."

Quote from: ssmit132
On that point: Dawn, did you ever find an explanation on how you ended up time travelling 100 years into the future and in Alpha Draconis?
True that would interest me too. The time travel I can guess at, but how did they skip through at least one system and end up somewhere else entirely?

Unless of course the "timetravel" happened exactly because they traveled that far, but then how comes that they were untouched by time?

"Most of the records about the modifications done to the Explorer have been destroyed after the fall of the UEU government. Some scientists in Silva, however, have a theory that the jump took us from Subspace into Planespace. Which might explain why we didn't ended up in Tauri.

I hope I'll find a complete answer some day though..."

A lot of talk about CSA interfaces

"I'll just add to this that General Battuta seems to be on the right track here."

Quote from: NGTM-1R
I really suspect a human could fly an Aestival if you just patched the software. :P

I'd still like to know how well Dawn could handle them though.

"We tried a Aestival gauntlet simulation yesterday, because I was interested in this too.
The average Terran pilot usually only manages to reach stage two or three. Misuzu stumbled to stage four, Dawn reached stage eight.
The average score for a Cyrva pilot is around stage thirteen"

Quote from: ReeNoiP
Crystal/Kunoichi: What is going on in that one picture with you two? Kunoichi doesn't seem to be all that happy.

"I... Is that how I look to other people?"

Quote from: Dark Hunter
Tempest: What's the greatest prank you've pulled on one of the crew?

"Well there was this one time where I disabled the gravity on all the showers on the ship and i-"

"So that was you..?"

"Sorry DH, gotta run."

Quote from: ReeNoiP
Misuzu: How do you fit your hair inside that helmet?
Answer pending.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
"Most of the records about the modifications done to the Explorer have been destroyed after the fall of the UEU government. Some scientists in Silva, however, have a theory that the jump took us from Subspace into Planespace. Which might explain why we didn't ended up in Tauri.

I hope I'll find a complete answer some day though..."

VISHNANS. Vishnans everywhere.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
So there must be one universe were the UEU longer existed :lol:

Spoiler:
In Blue Planet, there are two universes, the one with the GTA (or GTVA) and the other were's no GTA/GTVA because they were all killed by shivans. [\spoiler]
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Crystal, why were you selected to join the 1st JGASF and not someone a bit more open-minded about Terrans?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

I have a suspicion that Crystal is open-minded about Terrans, compared to other Cyrvans.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
I have a suspicion that Crystal is open-minded about Terrans, compared to other Cyrvans.

This man has a point here. Crystal demonstrates quite of bit of open mindedness since she isn't suppressing every Terran into slave labor. Hell, any Cyrvan who joined the Joint Academy is bound to be very open minded.

Spoiler:
For those who think Crystal is closed minded, she's nothing compared to her older sister.  :shaking:
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Okay, so I read the Tech Room entry for Crystal and it said she jumped at the chance to serve in a joint fleet with the Terrans and got interested in us thanks to her father's stories.  So you know what, I think I need to play through the campaign again.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So you know what, I think I need to play through the campaign again.
I think I might just do the same any day now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
A lot of talk about CSA interfaces

"I'll just add to this that General Battuta seems to be on the right track here."

Quote from: NGTM-1R

Don't give me that, young lady. If Battuta is right, then so am I. Patching the sensor and diagnostic software to present a smaller datastream would solve the problem.

Mind you, I also think that the mere fact either group still runs up against limits is a horrible, stupid thing since I would hope by now both would have managed to realize that it's best to cut down on extraneous information in the stream. A Cryvan ship with a Terran system would probably perform better than one with the existing setup because it's harder to push the pilot into task overload.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's just pushing the question back - for any given pilot there will be an optimum level of information presentation that strikes a balance between ability to assimilate and the utility of having information available. If the average optima are higher for Cyrva pilots than humans, then yes you could patch it down for humans, but Cyrva will still do better.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
In fact, a skilled pilot would most likely be able to ignore unnessesary information and prevent "helmet fire" (is it how information overload is called in pilot slang?), even in Aestival.
More Cyrvan pilot than human ones can fly Aestival well, because it was designed with Cyrvans in mind. Cyrvan would most likely take a while to get used to a Terran fighter and would have a problem with fighting pilots who trained on them from the beggining (shield control would be new to him/her, for example).

Offline -Norbert-

Even if the interface could be configured for Terrans, the controlls are still too sensitive. And if you make those less sensitive, you might as well not bother with it in the first place....

So remind me again, why does the Aestival have no shields? Considering how much energy reserve it has for afterburner and weapons, surely there is enough energy for shields.
Are all Cyrvan fighters like the Aestival in that regard (no shields, but self-repairing)?

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Aestivals were obviously not designed with Terrans piloting it in mind.
There should be an option to just shut down everything in an Aestival and fly and fight WW2 style. Bam, there goes the information problem.

What role do Aestivals fulfill in the Cyrvan Navy? Heavy assault? Is it their most advanced design?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."