Author Topic: Ask a crew member  (Read 279678 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Even if the interface could be configured for Terrans, the controlls are still too sensitive.

Considering most of us have tried one, it's not as bad as a Ulysses. :P

That's just pushing the question back - for any given pilot there will be an optimum level of information presentation that strikes a balance between ability to assimilate and the utility of having information available. If the average optima are higher for Cyrva pilots than humans, then yes you could patch it down for humans, but Cyrva will still do better.

Considering the history of space combat as they've fought it, such as the main engagement between the Cryva and Humanity back when they fought when there were over 10k ships on the field, the simple truth is that a pilot will always be overwhelmed. Minimizing as much as possible while still presenting useful data remains a worthy goal.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

Considering most of us have tried one, it's not as bad as a Ulysses.
There is gameplay balance and there is story....

Considering the history of space combat as they've fought it, such as the main engagement between the Cryva and Humanity back when they fought when there were over 10k ships on the field, the simple truth is that a pilot will always be overwhelmed. Minimizing as much as possible while still presenting useful data remains a worthy goal.
While I do agree with you on that (and argued myself blue about it before you joined in the discussion :p ), it really doesn't matter much since the creator of the campaign believes differently. And ultimately it's Spoons call, since it's his campaign - even his "universe".

And now for something completely different!

Crystal! What is that blue line on your right cheek? Is it painted on or a tatoo? Does it have any meaning (like Clan or Family or Rank) or is it just adoration?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:40:02 am by -Norbert- »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Considering most of us have tried one, it's not as bad as a Ulysses.
Aestival controls can be mastered with some practice, using mouse for it may also help, as this thing turns more like an FPS character.
Joystick works just fine though.
What role do Aestivals fulfill in the Cyrvan Navy? Heavy assault? Is it their most advanced design?
Actually, Aestival is a light fighter, so it's a recon/interceptor, may also be used as space superiority or defense fighter.
The ones on board Guardian Angel are actually rather outdated, Cyrvan Navy is currently using much better version.

Offline -Norbert-

Aestival controls can be mastered with some practice, using mouse for it may also help, as this thing turns more like an FPS character.
Joystick works just fine though.
I know that and I didn't have too much of a problem with the Aestival either (probably because I fly the Ray III-E whenever I get the chance).
But the point I was trying to make is, that just because we players can handle the Aestival, doesn't mean that a Human "in-universe" can. That we can fly it is a necessary balance issue. That Humans in-universe can't (effectively) fly it is established canon. -> balance and story.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Actually, Aestival is a light fighter, so it's a recon/interceptor, may also be used as space superiority or defense fighter.
The ones on board Guardian Angel are actually rather outdated, Cyrvan Navy is currently using much better version.

I dare not imagine how those handle.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I doubt that the new Aestival would be more agile, they could be faster, better armored and armed, but I don't think that agility would increase.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Why would they need a better fighter? The Aestival is most likely the most overpowered thing a player can fly, second only to the Tides of Darkness' SB Yali or a player using ~+k
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Wait, wait, why was everyone freaking out when the Hertak attacked the CSA then?

'cuz I'll grant five-six Hertak fighters can really ruin an Aestival's day, but if they've got heavier stuff...

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

Cyrvan law demands that ALL CSA military assets come running to defend the Cyrvan systems (and maybe the protectorates.... not sure about that part) if they are attacked, no matter now easy the attack is defeated.
And that meant no CSA reinforcements for the LSF, which meant almost certain defeat for the LSF and thus annihilation or surrender to the Hertak (or maybe fleeing into Cyrvan space, if they allowed it). But luckily they had Infi and the JGASF to turn the tide.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Doesn't work, because the Hertak would be unable to complete the conquest of Terran space and hold off the CSA if anything about the CSA force structure from the old Terran vs. Cryvan days holds true. It was bad news not to get CSA reinforcements, but a CSA counterattack will effectively suck off a lot of the more powerful Hertak ships like the Adasyas and Armageddons to hold it off.

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

Okay, so they wouldn't have lost, but the point still stands. They were counting on the CSA reinforcements and because of the attack on Cyrva space they weren't coming.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Quote from: NGTM-1R
Don't give me that, young lady. If Battuta is right, then so am I. Patching the sensor and diagnostic software to present a smaller datastream would solve the problem.

Mind you, I also think that the mere fact either group still runs up against limits is a horrible, stupid thing since I would hope by now both would have managed to realize that it's best to cut down on extraneous information in the stream. A Cryvan ship with a Terran system would probably perform better than one with the existing setup because it's harder to push the pilot into task overload.

"A Terran system would take away options for the pilot, thus limiting performance. Task overload is non existent for us Cyrvans while flying our own fighters."

Quote from: -Norbert-
So remind me again, why does the Aestival have no shields? Considering how much energy reserve it has for afterburner and weapons, surely there is enough energy for shields.
Are all Cyrvan fighters like the Aestival in that regard (no shields, but self-repairing)?

Quote from: Jellyfish
What role do Aestivals fulfill in the Cyrvan Navy? Heavy assault? Is it their most advanced design?
"The Aestival design is an old but sturdy one, it was initially designed for Recon but during the T-C war quite a few got refitted for dogfighting. The most noticable change is the added underslug medium cannon mount. The self repairing hull is standard issue on all CSA ships, though the Aestival is one of the few designs that does not come with shields of any kind.
The two onboard the Guardian Angel are both old models that went above and beyond the call of duty."

Crystal! What is that blue line on your right cheek? Is it painted on or a tatoo? Does it have any meaning (like Clan or Family or Rank) or is it just adoration?
"It's called Hyalj, the most direct translation would be 'war paint'. Most families have their own variations of it but for the most part it is just decoration. Though there are a few famous examples that have deep spiritual roots in Feryaa."

Quote from: SpardaSon21
Crystal, why were you selected to join the 1st JGASF and not someone a bit more open-minded about Terrans?
"I'm very much open-minded, I'm merely stating observations."

Cyrvan law demands that ALL CSA military assets come running to defend the Cyrvan systems (and maybe the protectorates.... not sure about that part)
"Yes, this law also applies to protectorates. I'll refrain from saying anything about how stubborn Terrans can be and so forth.

On this note, we have no idea just how many ships the Hertak have or how vast their space is. So while it was highly inconvenient that the reinforcements never came, I can't fault my people for being cautious."
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
"It's called Hyalj, the most direct translation would be 'war paint'. Most families have their own variations of it but for the most part it is just decoration. Though there are a few famous examples that have deep spiritual roots in Feryaa."
Does it represent your first kill or a certification of sorts that you are officially a warrior?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
"A Terran system would take away options for the pilot, thus limiting performance. Task overload is non existent for us Cyrvans while flying our own fighters."

Task overload is something I can force on a computer, much less a biological brain. Your statement is nonsensical. There has to be a threshold. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Note "when flying our own fighters." part.
They're made for Cyrvans and thus, optimized for them.
LSF most likely also optimized their fighters, they could put up as much info as CSA, but they'd risk "helmet fire" occuring to less experienced pilots.
A human trained on an unoptimized design would have less problems with it, but training would be more expensive and take longer, which wasn't desirable at peacetime.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Task overload is something I can force on a computer, much more a biological brain. Your statement is nonsensical. There has to be a threshold. :P

Fixed. We don't know much about Cyrvan neurobiology, and given how terrible the human brain is at multitasking they could conceivably be wildly better at it. There will always be a threshold but it may be very very high.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Does it represent your first kill or a certification of sorts that you are officially a warrior?

"This may be the case for some families but its rather rare."
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
So, uh, Tempest. Is pink your natural hair color or did you dye it that way?
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Misuzu, have you learned your lesson on why you should keep your helmet on (I'm refering to what happens if you lose too much hull integrity in M07 "Trouble in the Sky")?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

kind of like a family crest/war banner? Do the families only have one design per family or can they very depending on success, social/military position, gender, personal preference?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art