Author Topic: Ask a crew member  (Read 279665 times)

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Hmm...would they really, really want to have contingency plans? They've barely managed this fragile peace, held together by the end of the war and the Joint Academy. To have contingency plans would be quite an insult, at any level because the LSF isn't what it used to be during the five-year war, making extreme breakthroughs. But war drives progress, I suppose they'd have some sort of contingency because of those mad scientists. It's kinda sad to think that Cyrva would do nothing and watch as Earth is destroyed, due to Cyrvan law. I'm sure a few Cyrvans would do all they help, but...who knows.

What does Isa think? Because Crystal was the one who blew up the Hertak Flagship, so she did help the LSF out...a lot.

Of course, the Hertak were a threat to the Cyrva too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:06:27 am by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Well, I'm basing my assumption on a theoretical situation that someone attacks only the LSF, charging forth, blitzing for Earth.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
There will be one or more contingency plans.... both sides maybe at peace but they are not friend through and through (remembering a xenophobic someone in the JGASF?)

but they won't be called "Plan X to counter Cyvrian Invasion" but "random plan X what do when random aliens invade from the direction of the Cyvrian border" for the sake of peace (quite like all military strategy of the Federal Republic of Germany in the 1950's wasn't anti-sovijet at all - it just involved destroying all traffic ways allowing easily to progress with an army from east to west and then falling back to the western boarder and waiting for the French (and other NATO-allies of course) to arrive as reinforcements, all by conincidence)

IIRC the Cryvans easily held the upper hand in the first conflict

Spoiler:
Actually you are wrong ... though technologically superior, the structure of the CSA lead to them not getting reinforcements and would have allowed LSF (which was hurting bardly) to turn the conflict (if they wouldn't have been decapacitated in a pre-emptive strike) into an war of attrition which the CSA couldn't win (the "whole military service outside Cyvrian boarders is voluntary"-part at its finest ;) )

The CSA would have won the war though IF the commander hadn't ordered all ships to regroup (and found a solution to the no reinforcements problem) - I personally would have ordered most of the fleet to regroup and ordered a few vessels (with the most supplies, the best crews etc.) to fight behind enemy lines and cripple their infastructure - leaving part of the enemy fleet with the task of hunting those ships down and so weakening the force that I'd have to face eventually just because my enemy would not be able to affort pulling ships away from his hinterlands

Oh and I would have made that fast decapitating strike before regrouping my fleet.... but this all some pointless hypothesis...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:29:15 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Hmm...would they really, really want to have contingency plans? They've barely managed this fragile peace, held together by the end of the war and the Joint Academy.

You answered your own question there. 'Fragile peace'.
Both sides would be mad to not have plans should it break.
Remember Operation Unthinkable and the Color-coded War Plans? Better to be safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:14:32 am by Jellyfish »
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Isa:
At frist I would like to apologize for the obvious rudeness of other questions already asked (if you didn't know asking a woman her age is actually considered a transgession against the social norm in some terran cultures).
Some of my kin often forget their proper education when confronted with a woman of such beauty and obvious intellectual sophistication such as you.
If there is any way to make up for any offense you might have taken, I would be happly to oblige.

"No offense taken, at least it's reassuring to see that there are still Terrans who know how to show poper decorum on occasions."

Now if you would please endulge me with the answers to a few question I've been saveing for a competent member of Cyvrian Star Armada; Since until now appearently only Crystal was avalible to comment such matters I had supressed my own curiosity:

a) How do the Cyvrians maintain morale in comabt units during prolonged campaigns? - An article I read on the training methods of the CSA suggested that no military drill was necessary to form effective fighting units as each and every member of an unit knows their respective assignment and dedicates her-/himself to said assignment. However what happens if a weak link in the unit shows itself due to say battle fratigue?
"When a crew member starts showing the first signs of a degrading mental state he or she is quickly cycled out with a member from a fleet in reserve. Thankfully the CSA is not so starved for manpower that we are forced to continue using personel beyond their breaking point. "

b) Since most of the CSA is de-mobilized in peacetime (as non-defensive military duty is strictly voluntary) how is guaranteed that all combat units are fully ready when they are call upon? Are there routine training exercises?
"Unforunately there are none. This personally irks me somewhat but unforunately I'm not in any position to change this."

c) Since I've never seen more than a few glimpses of a single example Cyvrian warships in action which suggested that ship favour maneuvibility and omni-directional weapon arrays over a strong front firing arc, I have been left to wonder how the CSA controls bottlenecks of the stellar battlefield such as Starlances?

"CSA starships certainly have excellent overal coverage, this does not exclude strong forward firepower however. Quite the opposite actually, as both the Breaker and the Starlight class ships possess more power than a Terran Challenger.
The CSA prefers agile mobile warfare over static defenses, so while automated defenses are set up around Starlance exits, the actual fleet to fleet engagements are fought at our time and choosing in system."

If you don't mind I'd like to ask you another question which is of a rather hypothetical nature:
d) If you had been in the place of Fer'opal during the final stage of the Terran-Cyvrian war, would you have used the same strategy (retreating from Sol, regrouping with other fleet elements in Lyrae) or would you have chosen a different set of actions to combat the LSF?
"While in hindsight it is easy to critize High Admiral Fer'opal for some of his decisions, you have to keep in mind that he was making decisions based on a very limited understanding of how the Terran government operates and at the time the sheer size of LSF space was severly underestimated.
The one major thing I would have done differently: I would have made the IO shipsyards in Sol the highest priority. During the final stage of the war this massive shipyard was producing as much as 80% of all LSF equipment. Even the most stubborn Terran would have realized that fighting a war of attrition would have been hopeless without those shipyards. "

And just a passing curio:
Could you recommend me a good example of Cyvrian literature and/or philosophy? (For what as come to my attention Crystal might not serve as an authority on this subject either....)
"A book that was only recently released has quickly managed to become my favorite piece of literature, it's called: 'Galaxy domination for dummies, a ten step guide for the Cyrvan race to conquer and rule all other known sentient races'. It might be somewhat hard to come by though, it's rather controversial."

"I must add that I appreciate that you see through Crystal's little shroud of fame just because she was in the right position at the right time. It was indeed wise that you waited, so you could ask these questions to an actual competent soldier."
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
(Open to all)
What do you think is the most important factor (for you specifically) in looking for a friendship/romance/wingman or wingwoman?

"How much money is on his account."

"He'd just have to notice that I actually exist."

(Crystal)
And Crystal, from a purely artistic perspective. Your (I'm sure its unauthorized) steam pic does highlight your amazing beauty, although I personally prefer your same beauty in your normal uniform shots. Much less intrusive and adds that specific authority flare. Have you considered any modeling and/or what is the Cyrvan opinion on modeling in that sense? (clothed uniform shots, official)

"Never really thought about it, b-but... that doesn't sound like such a bad idea..."

What does Isa think? Because Crystal was the one who blew up the Hertak Flagship, so she did help the LSF out...a lot.

"I sure did, don't let Isa trick you into thinking it was but a minor accomplishment"
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

"Of course every semi-competent military is going to have contingency plans for every situation. What these plans are exactly we can only guess. These are well guarded secrets that only the 1st and 2nd circle know. I'm sure that its the same for the top echelons of the LSF."

"Pfff, I bet the Jerran's plans are a hilarious read.'"

"Terran."

"Whatever.
I'll try to remember what they are called when they can wage a war against us without having to resort to flying suicide bombers into our ships."

"That was over seventy years ago, you weren't even born then."

"My point still stands."
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
*gasp*

*speechless*

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Isa:
Thank you for answering my questions - even that pointlessly hypothetical one about the Terran-Cyvrian War (I'm sorry but I could not resist to ask your opinion).

"No offense taken, at least it's reassuring to see that there are still Terrans who know how to show poper decorum on occasions."

Yes, I fear the proper discipline and education have fallen out of fashion these days. Just because it was those virtues that helped to the greatest attrocities of terran history.
The Cyvrians are turely blessed to have never seen the monsters that can be created once the psyche turns its greatest achivments to plunge itself into the depth of barabrism.

"I must add that I appreciate that you see through Crystal's little shroud of fame just because she was in the right position at the right time. It was indeed wise that you waited, so you could ask these questions to an actual competent soldier."

You flatter me.

But every man with half a brain and a set of good eyes could seperate one blessed by the universe's n-dimensional toss of the m-faced coin form a true achiver. And considering I was able to read through your military record.... *stops* Oh, please believe me that I'm deply sorry for the intrusion but I had to do my research to be sure.

(To make up for my transgression I'll send you data that will allow you to track down that black market trader who sold it to me as soon as the opportunity arises; I believe he had a lot more in stock about your person than just that file. - Oh, and before you ask the file was authentic; I can't tell for sure about those other items as well... they were of a rather secondary priority to me at best. I'm too much a man of the mind.)

On a side note:
Out of passing curiosity I originally intended to use that file the create a statistical model that would have placed you in Crystal's place. However somewhere during the initial set-up I came to the conclusion that no mathematical model could ever match you in person; it'd fail at every turn: your great insight, your sound judgement and last put not least your charming looks would never have been reflected by the machine running through all the equations.

"A book that was only recently released has quickly managed to become my favorite piece of literature, it's called: 'Galaxy domination for dummies, a ten step guide for the Cyrvan race to conquer and rule all other known sentient races'. It might be somewhat hard to come by though, it's rather controversial."

Curious that someone would write a book about the subject....
It would be easier (with a large enough control group of course) to read it directly from the genome of a Her... *stops*  Oh, I forgot, the Cyvrians have denied themselves the high persuit of Genetics.

I hope you do not take offense that I've even mentioned this taboo of your culture. And please don't think of me as somekind of monster for talking of a quest of knowledge your people have rejected for their reasons.

In a galaxy of like this, those with pure motives just don't have the liberty of choosing the purest means to see their ideals blossom to beauty in material perfection - Wouldn't you agree?

If you would still indulge me another time, I've just aquired said book - a digital copy of a first edition volume. Maybe after I have finished reading would you care to initiate me into the controversy about it in the Cyvrian society?

With with all the best wishes,
0rph3u5

ps. I'm about to ask Crystal a question, you might want to listen in - I think you would enjoy the resulting dialogue in full ;)

Crystal:

Just out of a passing curiosity:
Was there a way to destroy the Hertak flagship that didn't involve disinitegrating their entrie ruling caste? Surely both LSF and CSA would have had a use for prisoners of war...

Tempest:

Do you know what could earn you a lot of money? - Selling me Dawn's complete medical record; there should be a copy stored somewhere in the 1st JGASF's data-net... All you need is to access it with your authorisation code and foward it to me...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:59:50 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I'll try to remember what they are called when they can wage a war against us without having to resort to flying suicide bombers into our ships."

Ouch. Well, I suppose the LSF might have eventually won the first war if it had kept up, but it would have damn well hurt them. I'm still curious to see how they would fare today.

Thanks for pointing that out  0rph3u5, I should've brushed up on the fiction first.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
This is to anyone:

How does the New Calendar system work? It's certainly is different from our Gregorian calendar, as there's a month that has apparently at least 34 days to it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:07:34 pm by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
To me, Kunoichi have had even more 'screen time' than Luna, so she doesn't have to worry.................although I have no idea why I always order Seraphim wing to guard Jewel 1 when Luna's onboard...

...and Isa was trying to downplay Crystal's achievement?! Dang, she's good at manipulating Terran minds. Didn't notice at all.

Right...Isa or Crystal, I'm not sure whom to ask but I have a hypothetical situation: In a Cyrvan system being invaded by a hostile force. A CSA and LSF fleet is present to defend the system. What would be the deployment? Would the Cyrvans allow the Terran fleet to sit there blockading the node (what they do best, at least they think they do) with Cyrvan automated defenses, while the CSA fleet sits somewhere in-system with their jump drives charged, for mobile warfare?

Would the LSF fleet have command of their ships, or is everything regulated by the CSA, i.e. dragging Skirmishers and Challengers along with the CSA ships jumping all over the place? Will the LSF fleet be able to call on CSA support (MCWS/shock jumping-short staying duration Cyrvan capital beam barrage before jumping out again)?

Starlight-class and Breaker-class ships...damn, that'll be so awesome.

Offline -Norbert-

Isa: Why are you so nice to strangers and so mean to your own sister?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Isa: Why are you so nice to strangers and so mean to your own sister?

perhaps there is a similarity between Terran and Cyrvans there
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Axem

May must be Space Elf Appreciation Month!

Isa/Crystal: Does serving in the military run in your family? If so how far does it go back? Any famous heroes in your bloodlines?

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
"Whatever.
You better start learning, and quickly, I say.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Veers

Quote from: Axem
May must be Space Elf Appreciation Month!

I'll agree to that, but I'm a little more. It is always Space Elf Appreciation Month  :nervous:

And thank you very much for your time Crystal, it has a pleasure talking with you (despite I only asked one question... hmm..).
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Flak

Suicide bombers? Were they still using suicide bombers back then? Alright, it is a fun thing to do in games where it is possible.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
It is always Space Elf Appreciation Month  :nervous:

Wasn't it Space Elf Season?
*cue the news saying large swathes of land dissapeared overnight under a bright flash*

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Wasn't it Space Elf Season?

No! It's Space Wabbit Season!
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found