Author Topic: Ask a crew member  (Read 279678 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Orpheus you forget something very important: Infis sacrifice!

It is so "nice" how you defend your so-not-worth-that-loyality-heroine by citing another failure she could be held to accountable for...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline -Norbert-

Infi went against all orders she had and even teleported Dawn, who was supposed to be the pilot and thus in controll of the prometheus frame, away. How can that be Crystals fault?

And I'm not "defending my heroine". I'm stating facts.
Isn't this just another justification for a risk you were not willing to take despite the expected pay-offs?
Let's do a little risk vs. gain analysis.
Risk: Annihilation of the local colony (millions of people, including old, infirm and children), possilbe annihilation or enslavement of the entire Human race
Benefit: Knowledge of genetic manipulation, which is outlawed and thus would bring no benefit.
So.... explain to me why the possible annihilation of the Human race and the absolutely unavoidable annihilation of a colony with millions of innocents is an acceptable risk for a very small chance of getting next to useless information.

Also flying a single fighter into corridors the Hertak though completely save because of a massive amount of gunturrets is quite another thing from boarding a ship with thousands of infantry (if they even had enough troopers in range), subdueing the crew and fortify the ship against the inevitable reinforcements that will come in from the surrounding Armageddons.

Your scenario of conquering the Hertak flagship is just plain unrealistic and the risks FAR outweight any possible gain from such an action.

Sorry if those hard facts interfere with your personal witchhunt, though I can't help but wonder how your Crystal bashing is supposed to let the Cyrvans see the good sides in Humanity. I mean would you trust a species that shows it's gratitude by verbally attacking a person who was instrumental in preserving their continued existance (or at least freedom)?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To any Cyrvan in general: From the individuals we've seen in this thread, there are a variety of hair colours: black, bright green, bright red and white. Do Cyrvans naturally have such a variety of hair colours, and if so, what other colours can there be?

Something just occured to me.

To Cyrvans:
What is your race's reproduction rate like? With such long life spans, I would think your population would have exploded far past planetary tolerance long before you invented space travel.

Back in the 20th century of the old human calendar, thanks to a number of medicinal advances, the average human lifespan increased by something like 20 or 30 years and our population grew to the point that some countries began instituting population restriction laws. I can't imagine what effect a centuries-long lifespan would have.

Oh, and another question: what kind of lifespan do hybrids (Terran/Cyrvan) have? Is it somewhere in between or do they tend to inherit one race's lifespan over the other?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:25:09 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Perhaps as they live longer, their gestation periods are longer too. Doesn't make much sense biologically, but possible anyway.
To save the Cyrvan females from such an ordeal, they just put some DNA and SCIENCE in a tube and let the magic flow.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
'cause I have to make the distinguishment more obvious this time (I've been going in and out, dancing on the ashes of the forth wall, since my first post here):

Inside the box:
Your scenario of conquering the Hertak flagship is just plain unrealistic and the risks FAR outweight any possible gain from such an action.

I never said anything about CAPTURING that ship - I said BOARDING as in going aboard, catching your prize and getting the hell out of there... (which was already worked once?)

And I don't stated it was wrong to destroy the Hertak flag ship - I just said it could have been of strategic value to steal something or capturing a hostage from that ship

Outside the box:
Sorry if those hard facts interfere with your personal witchhunt, though I can't help but wonder how your Crystal bashing is supposed to let the Cyrvans see the good sides in Humanity. I mean would you trust a species that shows it's gratitude by verbally attacking a person who was instrumental in preserving their continued existance (or at least freedom)?

Did you ever hear the term "negative reinforcement"? - I'm rousing you to take sides by outlining the one you possilbly cannot take (that's what I meant by "playing 'the ends justify the means'")

How can that be Crystals fault?

I'm dismantling that argument on purpose (I even stopped bringing arguments) ... just another step to ensure that negative reinforcement takes root...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Sorry if those hard facts interfere with your personal witchhunt, though I can't help but wonder how your Crystal bashing is supposed to let the Cyrvans see the good sides in Humanity
Wait what.

Since when humanity has a good side ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

It happens occasionally....

Edited for a missing 't'
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:47:42 am by -Norbert- »

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
You happen occasionally, Norbert?

I don't think Cyrvans are actually that horny compared to humans, so...yeah.

On the Hertak flagship thingy - There is nothing of value to get from the Hertak flagship, and trying to board it would be wasting thousands of lives and precious time bought by Infi's sacrifice. Crystal's Queen rescue is much different case than the one we're presenting. Crystal was in a MCWS with Cordi supplied intelligence, for Cyrva's sake.

...plus the arresting field wasn't going to last forever. I'd do a comparison, but it seemed kinda dumb so I won't.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
BTW even a simple boarding is suicidal. There should be some Royal Guard or something. And if you remember, the Hertak are able to pass their skills and experience on the childrens. In this case, the Royal Guard (if they exist) is a badass army and should be superior as the boarding party dudes . Besides that, they are fighting to ensure the royal family is secure. And even if they captured Hertak technology which is superior to the LSF and Cyrva technology.....
Simply said, the Cyrva wouldn't be amused about terrans possessing such technology.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:10:42 am by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I wonder what's making Orpheus so rage-y. Crystal is (somewhat) cute and I guess, nice, but he must really wanna go 'rawr I be antagonist!' and point out bad things.

Oh and if there's turrets in that shaft and the reactor room (seriously, weapons in your reactor room = bad, no matter how you think about it), there's bound to be turrets in the ship as well. Plus that ship is huge! How would you know your way in a foreign ship. Deadly's right, attempting any boarding is suicidal and utterly pointless.

Also time. Every minute wasted means another LSF ship exploding, and closer to the flagship jumping out and Infi's sacrifice wasted.

I wonder if I should side with Isa or Crystal, hmm...

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
he must really wanna go 'rawr I be antagonist!' and point out bad things.

Perhaps he's trying to make Crystal angry on purpose because he thinks stoic and collected characters are really cute when they get angry.
He's partially right: Crystal is ALWAYS cute.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
I like Luna. She doesn't fight for glory like the others (including Crystal in some cases) because she fights for....ehrm....dunno.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:11:28 am by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I like Luna. She doesn't fight for glory like the others (including Crystal in some cases) because she fights for....ehrm....dunno.
I think I understand how you feel there...

...because I kinda subconsciously order Seraphim wing to guard Jewel 1 when it's Luna. *panic*

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs

Perhaps he's trying to make Crystal angry on purpose because he thinks stoic and collected characters are really cute when they get angry.

She'd probably get pissed if there was an attempt to classify her as Moe.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!

She'd probably get pissed if there was an attempt to classify her as Moe.
Keep it a secret then! *whisper whisper*

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Oh my god what is with this thread?

Will these male characters be fighter pilots or fleet staff? Or would that be giving too much away?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Oh my god what is with this thread?
It's awesome is what, and it sucks that I have nothing to contribute because this thread is Class. :lol:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Will these male characters be fighter pilots or fleet staff? Or would that be giving too much away?

Bridge bunnies. It was only a matter of time before the Cyrvas revealed their tendency to build harems.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Can I get Crystal and Isa in my harem?  They aren't exactly twins, but being siblings has to count for something.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems