Author Topic: Ask a crew member  (Read 279687 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Crystal, given the significantly greater dimensions of Cyrvadia itself in relation to Earth, how can you explain the phyique of the Cyrvan race? And if the case is that the density of the planet is much less than that of Earth per unit area, isn't Cyrvadia rather lacking in mineral resources? Heavy metals and industral resources tend to be rather massive elements, after all.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, most of the planet's mass is located far deeper than it's possible to mine anything. Planet's core can have rather low density, but crust can still be rich in minerals. I think that it's plausible that G on Cyrvadia is about 10.1 m/s or something like that. More than on Earth, but not so you'll notice after a space trip.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Oh and, does Cyrvadia have a terrestrial navy, army and airforce?

Do your research - the CSA has no ground forces due to their military doctrine...

Inside the box:

To anyone with command level access:
How is the total cost of supplying and outfitting the Guardian Angel per sortie compared with a CSA or LSF ship in a similar role?

To the Cyvrans:
1) You all appear to come from Cyvra, leaving me to wonder how high the ratio of officers and crew from Desa is...

2) If you are in command of a fighting unit: How hard was the competition is each of your classes for the "command spot"?

Outside the box:

@ Destiny:
It's so nice you didn't read my last post....

Anyhow, I can call Mission Accomplished (though not a 100% success on fronts and a temporary one at best) on Reply #378
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:15:01 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I've no idea what's going on actually, maybe if you could clarify things. Yes, I've done my research. Having entirely no soldiers on the ground or even a tank, would spell doom for a Cyrvan city if someone manages to land a dropship in the midst. That's why I'm even asking.

...that's a very big IF, to emphasize the theoretical possibility of getting past a Cyrvan fleet.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I've no idea what's going on actually, maybe if you could clarify things. Yes, I've done my research. Having entirely no soldiers on the ground or even a tank, would spell doom for a Cyrvan city if someone manages to land a dropship in the midst. That's why I'm even asking.

...that's a very big IF, to emphasize the theoretical possibility of getting past a Cyrvan fleet.

Remember also that their fighters have a mech mode
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Having entirely no soldiers on the ground or even a tank, would spell doom for a Cyrvan city if someone manages to land a dropship in the midst.

CSA military doctrine set space control equal to surface control1; so having a fleet in orbit makes it redundant to deploy troops on the surface

... and due to their cultural background a Cyvrian city would surrender to landing dropship before hit would touch the ground2

1 see "CSA" in the techroom - "The CSA [...] goes by the theory that orbital control equals having surface control."
2 see "The Cyvran" in techroom - "They [...] will take all possible measures to avoid injury"

Outside the box:

I've no idea what's going on actually, maybe if you could clarify things.

I'm under the impression that you have mistaken the performance for the performer...

in #378 I overstated the negative side of the impression I'd of Cyrstal after playing WoD (I really got somesort of 50-50 impression of her ... sometimes she's is undoubtable capable and in other situations she is turely lacking many of skills a commanding officer requires) and took it to the extreme

I was curious to what direction you all would swing...

(BTW thank you, Spoon, that you didn't pick up on it; that would have defeated the prupose of the exercise)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:25:59 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

in #378 I overstated the negative side of the impression I'd of Cyrstal after playing WoD (I really got somesort of 50-50 impression of her ... sometimes she's is undoubtable capable and in other situations she is turely lacking many of skills a commanding officer requires) and took it to the extreme

I wouldn't say that she is turely lacking some skills of a commanding officer. She has a lack of experience that time. I mean, do you want to encounter those Hertak Armageddons during your first assignments? Or even the flagship? And she wasn't able to handle all of those casualties inflicted by the Hertak. Such situations are difficult to handle, even for Crystal.*

(Despite proving BoE situations before)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:47:36 am by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!

Hmm...iiyaaaaaa...that's a pretty good point, but...I suppose MCWSes are put to better use doing bombing runs on the dropships and the enemy infantry/vehicles/tanks than going to ground combat. Adamantium should be capable of handling atmospheric reentry.

CSA military doctrine set space control equal to surface control1; so having a fleet in orbit makes it redundant to deploy troops on the surface

... and due to their cultural background a Cyvrian city would surrender to landing dropship before hit would touch the ground2
1 - The CSA can't utilize/secure a planet without landing on it. What, tell the LSF to come and fight (the ground war) and let them build the factories and resource mines? Cyrvans probably aren't used to how Terrans do their stuff on the ground, let alone trust them to build stuff on the planet they conquered. There's a limit of how much orbital control and bombardment can do. You can't expect to rely on a Divine Buster to destroy a secret infiltration team in a shootout at the perimeter of a theoretical Cyrvan base without leveling the base as well.

2 - I seriously doubt the Cyrvans would surrender a city when a dropship is approaching from 10km away. Depending on the planet/moon, there certainly would be at least one MCWS ready to burst out of the city and nail the dropship with Malachyye Missile Massacre. I don't believe the Cyrvans would surrender. At least Isa won't.

...right, Isa?

• Buntu!
The dropship wouldn't even reach the orbit if Isa is the one commanding the defense of the city/planet.

(Of course, I think she's more an aggressive type, she attacks instead of defend. Must be the red hair.)
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
The dropship wouldn't even reach the orbit if Isa is the one commanding the defense of the city/planet.

(Of course, I think she's more an aggressive type, she attacks instead of defend. Must be the red hair.)
I totally agree on that, Deadly. Although, I'm basing my theory on an unnamed Cyrvan commander. If not, Isa arriving in system and assuming command after the dropship(s) enters the atmosphere.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
If you can't muscle your way in, sneak your way in. Use stealth ships.

Bunker up in a building that looks solid and important, and wait until they land.
Then pop up the ATGMs. I'm sure they will be able to defeat Adamantium by then.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

• Buntu!
Speaking of civilian injuries and terrible damage....

Isa and Crystal: What are your opinions about "collateral damage"? You know what I mean. What is in your opinion "collateral damage?"

Other question (every Cyrvan can answer to this): The military seems to be on a pure voluntary basis. But what if Cyrva itself is going to be attacked?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:41:25 pm by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

Offline -Norbert-

Surrendering is nice if the enemy plays along, but what if the enemy is just bent on slauthering everything that doesn't belong to their species (or their Thralls) to set an example for other species as to what happens when they try to resist?

And you just can't repell all attackers before they reach the surface. Jumping directly into the atmosphere might be risky, but as we saw in WoD 1 it's possible and the Hertak and their Thralls can somehow jump even inside of inhibitor fields. So a sufficiently determined (or crazy) enemy can't be held off from the surface and thus ground troops are necessary, unless you are willing to bomb your own planet back into the stoneage to annihilate the enemy landing troops.

To not have any kind of ground forces is just suicidal. And to say that orbital controll equals surface controll is just delusional.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
All this obsession with Cyrvans when there's a perfectly good Misuzu Dawn around. 

(^_^) :3

fyp, etc.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Other question (every Cyrvan can answer to this): The military seems to be on a pure voluntary basis. But what if Cyrva itself is going to be attacked?

This is answered in the tech room, actually. Out-of-territory missions are purely voluntary, but if Cyrvan territory is invaded, all available defense assets are called in. Not voluntary in that case.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The mere fact Cyrvans use MCWS suggests some sort of doctrine of ground combat.

A Feddie Story

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Or that they really like mechs. If they really wanted ground power, the fighter would transform into a tank.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Or we could just ask Crystal or Isa about it.  This is the thread to do so, after all.

Crystal, was a tank form ever considered for Cyrvan MCWS?  If so, why was it rejected?  Why was the mech form ultimately chosen?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:08:18 pm by SpardaSon21 »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Or that they really like mechs. If they really wanted ground power, the fighter would transform into a tank.

Unless you're going to MS Gundam it up, there's really no point in giving it feet unless you expect it to walk.

And even in the AMBAC context, you don't necessarily need feet or hands.

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

Maybe one of the winged ones had a vision about the Hertak and thus made sure Crystal would have the means to rescue the Coordi Queen ;)