Author Topic: Ask a crew member  (Read 279690 times)

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Dekker, haven't you noticed how Snail hasn't been active for a while here?... ;)

Cats...have you ever seen what cats do when they are put into a no gravity situation?... hehe...
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Spoon! Enlighten me, how did you craft all those beautiful models of yours, and how hard was it? :P
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Dekker, haven't you noticed how Snail hasn't been active for a while here?... ;)

I'm not crew, no questioning!! (GESTAPO FLASHBACK)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Are you seriously asking how they prevent small arms fire from punching through armor that can withstand weapons stronger than nuclear bombs?

It's not the armor you should be worried about. It's the ship systems. You don't armor stuff inside the hull to withstand small arms fire. If there's a fight for any major, important area of the ship like the engine room, CIC, or bridge, you can write it off as fit to fight until it's spent time in a yard.

Even just shooting up a bunch of the corridors could easily result in extensive damage to life support, internal communications and networking, and possibly damage control systems that would make fighting the ship exceptionally difficult without a refit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:44:18 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

You don't armor stuff inside the hull to withstand small arms fire.

Maybe you don't... ;7
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Maybe you don't... ;7

Nordera excepted.

Of course if you really WANT to waste all that extra mass and end up with ships that perform real badly... :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
I guess they would at least armour the first say 50m of corridors at the entrance points to the ship? :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:11:34 pm by Enigmatic Entity »
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Why? No, seriously, why? If you're being boarded you've already lost. Either blow the ship up if you're serious or set it wrecking its own systems and surrender.

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Why? No, seriously, why? If you're being boarded you've already lost. Either blow the ship up if you're serious or set it wrecking its own systems and surrender.
***MatthTheGeek is reminded of a specific sequence in War in Heaven, with a Zod logistics ship being boarded by Gefs...***
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

Are you seriously asking how they prevent small arms fire from punching through armor that can withstand weapons stronger than nuclear bombs?

It's not the armor you should be worried about. It's the ship systems. You don't armor stuff inside the hull to withstand small arms fire. If there's a fight for any major, important area of the ship like the engine room, CIC, or bridge, you can write it off as fit to fight until it's spent time in a yard.

Even just shooting up a bunch of the corridors could easily result in extensive damage to life support, internal communications and networking, and possibly damage control systems that would make fighting the ship exceptionally difficult without a refit.
Then maybe you should tell that to the person who specifically asked about explosive decompression, to whom I was answering.

But I don't think you'd cause extensive damage to the ships livesupport by shooting up a single corridor, considering the size of the ships and that the ships most likely use compartmentizing very extensively... at least that's what I'd do on a tincan surrounded by hard vacuum.
And if you can cut a part of the ship off completely from the livesupport, you should also be able to limit the damage to the section the firefight takes place in.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Whoooooosh

Uh, right, eeto, Tempest, are the mercenaries at Harcon going to be flying all the Ray Mk. IIIs that are being phased out of the LSF? Did they fly Ray Mk.IIs or something before then?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Aside from the Terran and Cyrvan governments what organisations have influential positions socially and politically within Terran and Cyrvan space?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually, that's a good question. To anyone: What did the Ray Mark II look like and how would you compare its handling to modern Rays?

A Feddie Story

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Actually, that's a good question. To anyone: What did the Ray Mark II look like

Spoiler:
The emblem of the LSF is the silhouette of the Ray II. It's essentially half the Ray I with it's pods and half the Ray III with its internal cockpit.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline LoneFan

Crystal, can you show us some examples of Crya writing?

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Can has most Dawn pics?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
How many fighters does a Guardian Angel actually support, and for roughly how long can it do so without resupply?

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

How do jump inhibitor fields work? There was the planetary one at Ravi, but then there's also the (ineffective) one at the blockade the Hertak trashed, which kind of suggests that it's somewhat portable, but the JGASF doesn't seem capable of setting one up on its own. Is there a dedicated ship or something?

Isa, do you have any embarrassing interesting stories about your little sister you'd like to share?

Offline -Norbert-

There was also that inhibitor field that the Fura'ngle ship projected, whch the LSF couldn't overcome (the one that was protected by three Armageddons in one of the last missions).

Do the Cyrvans have better jump inhibitor fields, that even work against the Hertak. And are CSA ships capable of overcoming the LSF inibitors and the Hertak/Fura'ngle inhibitors?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Do Cyrvans like cats?

"We love cats.
In fact, the true unsung reason why the Cyrvan-Derran war happened is because we wanted to liberate all those poor kittens from the oppressive jumans!
Millions of 'lolcats' videos on your web, the vast majority of them is animal abuse!"

Dawn. Would you call me even if I gave you my number?

What's your "type"?

"What would we talk about?

Type huh? Can't say I gave it a lot of thought inbetween the missiles, laser bolts, beams and giant alien ships with the intend to conquer all known sentient races."

Whoooooosh

Uh, right, eeto, Tempest, are the mercenaries at Harcon going to be flying all the Ray Mk. IIIs that are being phased out of the LSF? Did they fly Ray Mk.IIs or something before then?

"It's considerably harder to get your hands on a Mk II than a Mk III, since its old and was only produced in limited quantities. The majority of mercs have been using Mk IIIs for a while now. Though the Kaze is pretty popular too, it's a good craft when you feel like bugging out at full speed to save your own hide.

Say, since you seem interested. If I were to start my own mercenary company, would you like to fly under my wing? I'm sure we can make a quick fortune together nyohoh."

Actually, that's a good question. To anyone: What did the Ray Mark II look like and how would you compare its handling to modern Rays?

"As a certain Andrew pointed out:

That's the general shape of it.
I tried the Ray Mk. II in the simulator, handled pretty well. a bit slow for modern standards but when you compare it to other ships made in that time period, it was pretty amazing. It was a test bed for a few technologies, like the twin-jump drive and a sensor suite that was capable of defeating most known jamming systems at the time. The twin-jump eventually proved to be far too expensive for mass production but it wasn't until a full ten years later that single jump drives caught up with its performance.
It also came with the most comfortable pilot chair the LSF has ever seen. Or so I've been told nyoho."

Crystal, can you show us some examples of Crya writing?

To all crew: It has been stated before in previous responses, that there are various thoughts on the matter of the hybrids. What are your own veiws of them, and do you think that there is the risk in the future that prejudices from both Humans and Cryvans may drive the hybrids to seperate from their parent civilisation and become independant and/or violent?

"There are not even enough Hybrids to populate a single small town. The very idea that they would start some seperate independent nation in the foreseeable future is laughable at this point."

Also, have you ever known or met an hybrid, and can share this experience ?

"Not that I am aware of"

"Yes. But it's nothing to write home about or anything."

How many fighters does a Guardian Angel actually support, and for roughly how long can it do so without resupply?

"Normally around 56. If we really stuff everything together and don't intend to make it a long operation we could probably store around 70 craft. Of course it also depends on what loadout. Needless to say a Hazel take considerable more hanger space than a Kaze. Now if we were to depart fully stocked and take conservative actions, a Guardian Angel could last around two maybe three months without resupply.

For the sake of comparison, a Champion class carrier tends to roughly carry 42 to 48 fighters around and can go without resupply for a maximum period of four weeks."

How do jump inhibitor fields work? There was the planetary one at Ravi, but then there's also the (ineffective) one at the blockade the Hertak trashed, which kind of suggests that it's somewhat portable, but the JGASF doesn't seem capable of setting one up on its own. Is there a dedicated ship or something?
"What an inhibitor field basically does is 'saturate' subspace in an area, making it more dense and considerably harder to enter. If you do enter, it will make the subspace drive consume considerable amounts of extra energy to plow its way through. Less advance drives can actually overheat and malfunction, causing the ship to be crushed as subspace closes itself around the ship again.
LSF jump inhibitor technology is still large, unwieldy and requires tremendous amounts of energy to operate. Miniaturized versions on prototype ships have so far proved ineffective at significantly slowing down alien jump drives."

There was also that inhibitor field that the Fura'ngle ship projected, whch the LSF couldn't overcome (the one that was protected by three Armageddons in one of the last missions).

Do the Cyrvans have better jump inhibitor fields, that even work against the Hertak. And are CSA ships capable of overcoming the LSF inibitors and the Hertak/Fura'ngle inhibitors?
"Fura'ngle inhibitors have so far proven themselves extremely effective, even against Hertak drives. What actually makes them even more impressive is that they can somehow leave allied ships unaffected by them. We have yet to discover the secret to this.
Our own ships can make short jumps in a LSF planetary based inhibitor field, but it does considerably reduce our mobility."

Isa, do you have any embarrassing interesting stories about your little sister you'd like to share?

"Absolutely."

"No."

Aside from the Terran and Cyrvan governments what organisations have influential positions socially and politically within Terran and Cyrvan space?
This is a question that will be answered/expanded on in WoD2.

Spoon! Enlighten me, how did you craft all those beautiful models of yours, and how hard was it? :P
Sorry, I don't know anyone by the name of Spoon. You might want to redirect your question to the 34th Hard Light squadron  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them