Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918367 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Holy **** the last one though :lol:

Spoiler:
What you should know- you should know, that when you press afterburner- what you think is afterburner and your stupid brain-ship thing you come up with... is you take a **** when you do this. So it's terrible in h- oh my god! Oh, no, I- okay. I can't, guys, come on, you win. Take this **** off. I can't it's... it stinks in your brain. Come on. Goo- Okay, goodbye, goodbye Noemi! It's been fun.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

But was Simms really voice acted by a man? :D
That's what I initially thought as well, but here's the actress's webpage: http://www.timothylaurelharrison.com/

So I finally finished this (Act 1 and 2) aaand...

Goddamn you guys! You made me cry. More than once.

Not that it was bad or dissappointing. Actually quite the opposite. I knew when I first played AoA that this is going to be one of the best games and best stories I've ever experienced and, oh boy, was I right. I patiently waited, comming here every week or so to see what's new, knowing it's about to be great and so worth the waitng. But **** me, this wasn't great, this was mind blowing!

Darius and the rest of the team, you're my heroes! Battuta, I'm buying your books! Belisarius, where can I hear more of your music?

Please guys, keep up the good work. Waiting for the rest of the acts is going to be even more difficult now but it'll be worth it. Most triple A titles never managed to grab that much of my attention as this fan project. Only a few movies, stories or books ever managed to get me so emotionally engaged. If there is any possible way of supporting you, please let us fans know.

Hey guys,

i just came to realize how bad the situation of the UEF actually is - the fighter corps beeing demolished by the new GTVA Fighters - Frigates and Cruisers burned to ashes by well everything else...

The following suggestion regards the Ulahn and Kentauri Fighters.

The Ulahn seems to be: the front line - mass produced - easy to use for newbies - die fast fighter - of choise.
So - as in the final stages of the War - wouldn't it be plausible (and possible) that most front line units with some pilots left (veterans) would deactivate the "Trajectory/ Flight Stability Control" of this Craft to gain a little more survivability? It's just a piece of Software after all.

Same appers for the Kentauri - especially the ones from Wargods - as those appear to be an elite unit - why would they bother to fly with the "lane assist" and in "economy" mode?

One could refer to it as a War refit?
And allow it once the player get's leader of the Wing? (as it will have to be disabled by "hand" and does not come with this feature from stock)

It would allow strafing enemy frigates (a bit) and give a little flexibility to those craft in dogfighting - given the overall manouverability of these i would not consider that feature game braking or make those fighters suddenly overpowered .... after all they are exposed to the most deadlyest situations EVER to encounter in Freespace (generally outnumbered, highly effective enemy cruisers and Fighters....die in 5 secends if your unlucky situations) If I were such one rare Pilots still alive in UEF fighter Corps i would do what's possible to get rid of that feature....

Where'd you get the impression that it's software based? This is simply how physics work in the Freespace universe, space friction is simply a factor you can't get rid of, not a self-imposed software limit. Such software would make 0 sense, even for economy reasons. Ships could simply fly with their engines off and rely on inertia if this was the case, this would actually be a lot more economical. Capships could just disable that 'software' to fly even when they get disabled.

Either that or it comes as a downside to having a subspace drive which interacts weirdly with everything around it causing behaviour like you'd have in an atmosphere. The Glide feature on the ainsarii even has a speed limit so it's reasonable to assume that it's physics based and not software based.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:03:46 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Could be a pure safety feature - to stop things from becoming to fast.
The hull of the vessle could be compromized with dust partikles and stuff?

it was just a guess.... as beeing in space is actually > IN space ;)

you will always need fuel as gravimetric forces will get you off your long distance trajectory without engine corrections....
But what do we know about how much trust is actually needed to cruise at a certain speed? It could be that those freigter Engines do deliver enough trust to accelerate it to Speed X - and have enough thrust to brake the whole bunch from that obtained speed to Zero in a given time (could be civilian fright regulations for space safety?), so they do not superseed that speed because they could not evade any incoming object (lack of thrust)?

And .... well let's take a look at BattleStarGalactica..... so all Vessles use fuel, there is somekind of hyperspace (jump drives) and jet the fighters simply manouver without "Stabilizing" Systems if needed. Some things just apply to the rule of cool ;)

And actuall i don't know how physics in Freespace is supposed to work or are Supposed to work ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:02:49 am by Black-Sheep »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The physics in FS are the way they are for gameplay purposes. Trying to construct a system in which they make sense is futile.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

as said  - rule of cool ;)

but a strafing kent or Ulahn would be cool and rule ^^ ;)

nuff said - still great the way it is :)

Short Question to "The E"

You started a let's play . are you going to release the rest of it too?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I can find the time and motivation to record one, sure. I am not going to promise anything though.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Wait has there been another BP update? The last update I played ended with taking Neptune and leaving the Fedayeen. I am very confused. Has another chapter been released?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wait has there been another BP update? The last update I played ended with taking Neptune and leaving the Fedayeen. I am very confused. Has another chapter been released?
The first two acts of War in Heaven have been voice-acted, and the entire package (including act 3 and even Age of Aquarius) has been given balance tweaks, new assets, and various other new stuff; for instance, WiH Act 3 now has tutorial segments in the dreamscape.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

BTW, is it normal that I don't get any pilot logs saved in main menu database for Laporte in WiH campaigns? There seems to be only 1 empty entry even after completing the campaign.

In AoA I get the logs of Sam as expected.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Pretty sure that's a bug.

Could this package be useful? I collected every pilot related file that could explain this bug. Notice; this time I made a new pilot for this new BP installation, and I first completed WiH 1, then played a couple missions of WiH 2 and then proceeded to play approximately 5-6 missions of AoA in order to see what's changed. I only noticed this oddity after starting to play AoA, since suddenly my database had all kinds of stuff for Sam's pilot logs. However, Laporte's logs remained empty.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm guessing I just made a typo or mistake (or straight up forgot to add?) some of the scripts to add journal entries.

Meanwhile, I guess I could just change all the "Visible" boolean values from false to true?

Offline Snarks

I replayed WiH recently and something that kinda bugged me was that Severanti's flag ship was a Hecate. As the acting theatre commander before Steele took over, shouldn't be in one of the new TEI ships, like a Titan? Given his past track record, having him on a Hecate seems like a slap in the face and handicap on his capabilities, even before Steele one uped him.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I replayed WiH recently and something that kinda bugged me was that Severanti's flag ship was a Hecate. As the acting theatre commander before Steele took over, shouldn't be in one of the new TEI ships, like a Titan? Given his past track record, having him on a Hecate seems like a slap in the face and handicap on his capabilities, even before Steele one uped him.

Thats kindof a good point actually isn't it.  Wouldn't the theater commander be sitting in the more advanced ships that are deployed?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The Hecate is still a fully-capable carrier and flagship; just because it isn't the latest and greatest doesn't mean it isn't more than capable of handling the job.

The Titan isn't meant to be a fleet flagship; the Erebus is. Since the only Erebus in the Sol theatre at the time (IIRC) is the Atreus (the Orestes went back to Beta Aquilae and the Agamemnon doesn't arrive until Tenebra), that leaves Severanti no other option but a Hecate.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.