Author Topic: [RELEASE] - Frontlines 2334  (Read 35595 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: [RELEASE] - Frontlines 2334
Just tried installing this with Knossos and I got an error message because "MVPS" was missing.

Maybe you should take a look at the mod.ini and check if your media vps are named correctly.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
That's very odd - it looks like a reference to the Media VPs, but that's not a name that has ever been used for them as far as I can recall, so I can't imagine how a reference to it could have made it's way into the mod ini file. Is this an error message from Knossos, or from freespace? If it's a missing file, I.e. A freespace error, I could probably find it and figure out exactly what's wrong, but this wasn't a common error when the mod was first released, so it feels like it's most likely a file structure issue.

My main PC is in pieces at the moment while I'm painting the house, but I will try to find it on my laptop install and figure out where the file is. In the meantime, do you have an error log we could look at? That might narrow it down as well.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
That's very odd - it looks like a reference to the Media VPs, but that's not a name that has ever been used for them as far as I can recall, so I can't imagine how a reference to it could have made it's way into the mod ini file. Is this an error message from Knossos, or from freespace? If it's a missing file, I.e. A freespace error, I could probably find it and figure out exactly what's wrong, but this wasn't a common error when the mod was first released, so it feels like it's most likely a file structure issue.

My main PC is in pieces at the moment while I'm painting the house, but I will try to find it on my laptop install and figure out where the file is. In the meantime, do you have an error log we could look at? That might narrow it down as well.

The error is from Knossos itself.  My wife has the laptop at the moment, so I can't get an error log.

But Fso itself didnt open, so I suspect there isnt one.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
"MVPS" is the internal ID of the MediaVPs mod on Nebula; if Frontlines requires it, it should've been installed at the same time it was. You can see if explicitly telling Knossos to install the MediaVPs works.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just FYI, the Frontlines issues on Knossos have been fixed.

Black Wolf, if you create a Knossos account I'll set you as owner of Frontlines as I'm the one that uploaded it to Knossos.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Okay I have been playing this and it is quite good but I have noticed some problems.

For one thing, the tech room entry for one of the weapons (I forget which one) mentions the GTVA, which shouldn't exist at the time.

Also in the mission where you are ambushing the convoys, the Vasudan support ships have shields, which obviously isn't right. Also I received a return to base directive before one of my primary objectives (protect the Echo) was completed, and the Echo was just sitting there doing nothing, so I jumped out and got a debriefing saying I wasn't authorized to return to base, but I also got a medal and was allowed to pass the mission anyway.  :wtf:
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse