Author Topic: Time Compression  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We all know about time compression, the ability to speed up the game by 200% or 400%. (Thank you Silent Threat. :rolleyes: ) Has anyone looked into the ability to slow time down to 50% and 25%? It would be useful for timed screenshots and just as a cool effect.

How hard would this be to implement, using the existing time compression code?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
We all know about time compression, the ability to speed up the game by 200% or 400%. (Thank you Silent Threat. :rolleyes: ) Has anyone looked into the ability to slow time down to 50% and 25%? It would be useful for timed screenshots and just as a cool effect.

How hard would this be to implement, using the existing time compression code?

you would rather want a Zombie mode, where the player moves as in real-time but all other ships is moving in "zombie" mode.

That way you can rush from point a to b to c to take screenshots

if the player where a zombie too, then you have a hard time being at the right place where the action takes place.

Quake2 had Zombiemode, and still has. but i cant recall the C_var or CMD to activate, yet alone the cvars for controling it.

but it was dam funny running around looking at all the monsters go "slow-mode".

however, implementing this, dont know how hard it would be

i guees your way would be easy, if the code does not anticipate in a lot of places that things only "can go faster", not slower.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline diamondgeezer

Bullet Time!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Bullet time would be really cool...but it would be explained more as some kind of subspace device that warps space-time in an area effectively slowing everything down to the ship generating the field.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Thats a great idea. You don't really need to explain it though.. you could just call it "Time Decrompression" or "Bullet Time" or whatever the hell you want.. it doesn't need to be a story thing..
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read