Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)

Parallax mapping - Height maps and mipmapping?

<< < (2/2)

taylor:

--- Quote from: Zacam on March 23, 2008, 03:40:18 am ---So how many levels is considered a "full" set?

--- End quote ---
As many levels as it takes to get all the way down to 1x1.

Nuke:
il be glad when we have a materials system. it might make since to have different normal maps for different lods whilre retaining a single set of diffuse/glow/shine/env maps for the whole. this way you can make lower lods look better.

DaBrain:
In some rare special cases, it might make sense, but for the most part using more maps isn't a good idea.
There is the memory need and the additional lods plopping if you do not only change the geometry but also the maps.

If the player's PC can take a plus of memory usage, it could probably also take slightly higher lod distances, which might help just as well.
(Again, "in most cases"... I know there are some models than be "lodded" extremely well, but would need a normal map to keep the structures. This might apply to some asteroids, I guess.)

lufusol:

--- Quote from: taylor on March 23, 2008, 06:44:19 am ---
--- Quote from: Zacam on March 23, 2008, 03:40:18 am ---So how many levels is considered a "full" set?

--- End quote ---
As many levels as it takes to get all the way down to 1x1.

--- End quote ---
Mipmaps DO go all the way down to 1x1, but I don't understand why.  Maybe it's just so the GPU can use that pixel if it only needs to fill a single pixel instead of calculating which of the 4 pixels in a texel is best (or which to blend)?  I was under the impression that the smallest texture unit the GPU processes is the texel (a group of 2x2 pixels) and I thought that's why textures always need to be a power of 2 (2x2x 8x8, 4x16, 512x2048, etc)

Anyway, example given, let's say your texture is 512x512 : a full set of mips will look like this:  256x256, 128x128, 64x64, 32x32, 16x16, 8x8, 4x4, 2x2, 1x1 (i guess) so at 512x512, you get a maximum of 9 mipmap levels.  In that case, a full set is 9 mips. 

Now would someone please clarify the texel thing for me, or did I already guess it?

Strygon:
Holy necropost batman.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version