Author Topic: B5 Digital Art  (Read 17634 times)

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Awesome~

Any chance for that Centauri ship to appear in FSO? ;7
BIG chances ;)
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline emi_100

"Alexander's run"
Unknow location. April 9th, 2260.
21 hours after the Io incident.
Please use your headphones, sitback, relax and enjoy ;)
artstation.com/emimartinez
facebook.com/digitalerastudios
Credits:
Omega and Starfury (amazings!) models by.. Chris Kuhn
Scene, lighting, retexturing, aditional modeling,
Animation, compositing and sound editing by.. me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:54:27 am by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

• "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Awesome stuff!
Nice to see that you made into 2021!

(The person in the space suit at the beginning looks a bit "stiff" for the want of a better word - the impression of floating as in weightlessness isn't there; maybe just put a slight bend into the knees and back...)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline emi_100

Awesome stuff!
Nice to see that you made into 2021!

Thanks man! nice to see all of you around here as well!
Now hoping to have time to finish the new jump gate model for the game.

(The person in the space suit at the beginning looks a bit "stiff" for the want of a better word - the impression of floating as in weightlessness isn't there; maybe just put a slight bend into the knees and back...)
Yes, a little bit uncanny there, robocop like :D
I think it was the hardest part of this animation
Thanks for your word! :)
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Wow, just wow :jaw:

That's truly an amazing video you made there! :yes:

Also- Happy new year to you! :)

Offline emi_100

Wow, just wow
That's truly an amazing video you made there! :yes:
Also- Happy new year to you! :)
Thanks man!  :D
Happy new year to you all!
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline emi_100

Do you like my work and want to support me for the next animation? You can buy me a cup of coffee! 😊
https://ko-fi.com/emimartinez

www.artstation.com/emimartinez
www.youtube.com/DigitalEraStudios
www.facebook.com/digitalerastudios

Credits
Gquan model by Meurig
Convertion, materials details, lighting and render by me, Emi.
Emi.-
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline emi_100

Babylon 5: Hyperspace -concept 14
Still WIP, lot of thing to adjust, like the particle size. I want to stay close as possible of the original idea that was the hyperspace "look like hell" 🔥

For better resolution
https://vimeo.com/556476799

Do you like my work and want to support me? You can buy me a cup of coffee! 😊
https://ko-fi.com/emimartinez

https://www.artstation.com/emimartinez
https://www.facebook.com/digitalerastudios
https://www.instagram.com/digitalerastudio

Credits
Omega Destroyer and Starfury Model by... Chris Kuhn - 3D Artist
VFX by me, Emi Martinez
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm sorry to say this, but: That effect is waaaayyyyy too strong and busy and too far away from the original concept. It's not readable on screen: It doesn't read as "hell" as much as "way too many particles moving too fast".
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wesp5

I completely agree. In fact I really like the original hyperspace and the jump point graphics of the show! There is no need to update any of these...

Offline emi_100

yes, agreed. this is still wip, i'll take care and fine tunning all the details.

I had in mind all the hyperspace versions (the season1, Crusade, The Legend of The Rangers, and The Lost Tales (I know, it was Quantum Space there) )
I read some interviews of JMS talking about the original ideas behind it.
I really like the original fx too, and I still not satisfy with this concept, but I had to walk away from the original version.

Same thing with the jumppoint.

I know update the vfx is controversial, to say the least, to hardcore fans.
I'm one my self.
Belive me, it would be easier for me just to use the original jumpoint or hyperspace vfx.
But I just wana try new things and see what comes out of all this.

It's completely understandable that you don't like it :)
Thank for the comments and the feedback!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:39:58 am by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline 0rph3u5

I think part of the issue is that the particles in the foreground mess with the perspective. The focus is supposed to be the Omega, I presume - as all lines in the except the movement of the particles directly in front of the viewpoint seem to be in parallel to its orientation, even as the background seems to rotate around a different point.

It would be nice to have comparison without the foreground layer of particles.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline emi_100

I think part of the issue is that the particles in the foreground mess with the perspective. The focus is supposed to be the Omega, I presume - as all lines in the except the movement of the particles directly in front of the viewpoint seem to be in parallel to its orientation, even as the background seems to rotate around a different point.

It would be nice to have comparison without the foreground layer of particles.

Absolutely agree with the perspective issues. The moving glow of the background are moving into the incorrect direction and the particle as well.

Thanks for the feedback Orph.

This are early versions:

Concept 7

Concept 8 (with some volumetric fx)
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Youtube compression doesn't help matters, but ... I will maintain that this effect is simply too much. I guess it's usable in single shots or scenes that involve just a single ship moving through the frame, but there are several action sequences in B5 canon that take place in hyperspace, and they would become completely unreadable with a background this intense.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
No offense to your skills emi_100, but this is like what one might expect for an Abrams reboot of B5.  :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Just looks like welding / arc spray.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

but there are several action sequences in B5 canon that take place in hyperspace,

???
The only ones that come to mind are "A Distant Star" and "The Fall of Night" (both Season 2) in the sequences with the Shadow vessel, the sequence to reveal the Vorlon Planet Killer in "The Summoning" (Season 4), and the introduction to the Thrid Space Portal in "Thirdspace". All other sequences in Hyperspace are establishing shots for sequences set during hyperspace travel.

All of these could certainly be handled with a more "otherworldly" visualisation of hyperspace - if you put the time and ressources in to make it and to establish its visual language (remember, there were both technical and financial contrains).

The show did  make hyperspace very easy to read but in the fiction hyperspace is still an "other place": impossible to navigate outside of the established routes and in "Matters of Honor" it is openly stated that it is difficult to gauge the size of an object in hyperspace.
Add to that, that according to "Thirdspace", hyperspace technology was reverse engineered from a (presumably) First Ones remnant and you clearly have hyperspace established as a space that is actually not meant for the human perception apartus.

Actually attempting the challenge to make this more "otherworldly" conception of hyperspace a reality is challenge well worth respecting.

@emi_100:
I am really out of depth here.

I still see the issue with establishing prespective in those earlier concepts too, but I would not know how to put it correctly into words - it seems that brightness is supposed to communicate distance to the observer but the brightest parts also seem to be the most of out of focus.

==================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The noisy vibe is not always a bad thing. It has it's niches and particular uses, and I think it's exactly one of them. Concept 8 seems to be balanced in this regard and looks like good, modern re-interpretation of Hyperspace. Especially considering the fact, that the original was simple fractal noise made in 90's, the artistic aspects provide very little limits.

From actual criticism, I would say that fiery particles does not blend well with rest of teh layers. They should be moving with the rest of the background, to intensify the vibe of something "flowing" there. The "River of hellish, fractal goo" I found as good creative direction, just all parts should be consistent with it.

You can also try a variant completely without fiery particles for darker, eerie and more background approach.

I'd like to see something like this within FSO.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline wesp5

Actually attempting the challenge to make this more "otherworldly" conception of hyperspace a reality is challenge well worth respecting.

That's one problem for me with his version. While the original hypespace basically was some "otherworldly" color background, in his version I can recognize normal stuff like sparks, fire and smoke that do just not belong!

Offline emi_100

thank you for all the feedback guys!
I have something new to show, on the next post
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.