Author Topic: Let's just burn poldisc to the ground.  (Read 23836 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Let's just burn poldisc to the ground.
I stand by my statement*, and we agree to disagree.  :)

*My opinion on the matter hasn't in fact diverged from this ever since the "petition" thread.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Have you guys seen all the drama coming out of Site Support/Feedback? That subforum is clearly a problem and has to go.

I make a motion to delete this subforum.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Seconded
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Parliamentary procedure?

This should probably be moved to PolDisc.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
It's mind boggling that people want to limit what other people can talk about. I have learned a lot about the world, society, and myself from PolDisc. If you don't want to read it, go turn it off. Then end. How hard is that?

The button to turn it off doesn't work.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Confirmed, it doesn't work. Not that I'm tempted in the slightest to click into any of the threads there, but, you know.
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yall should consider that Goober, a COVID-enabler "main stream media" denier young earth creationist, was not a good fit for a forum about discussing reality. Maybe with him out of a position of power things will work just fine.

There's been much complaining and mourning that the "politics" side of the forum has stirred up so much drama in the "modding" side of the forum. The distinction is artificial. Goober's attitudes towards women were espoused in a thread about voice acting a campaign. He'd prematurely lock modding threads and shut down conversations  if they offended his personal sense of propriety.

There is no neutral ground or place of objectivity to retreat to. We are constantly deciding which opinions and viewpoints are tolerable in our communities, and which aren't. People pretend that some of these decisions are invisible and unanimous and 'objective' while others are controversial and 'political', but it's just a matter of degree. Like sliders in some Bethesda-ass character creator, we change the face of our communities by deciding what we accept and what we reject.

Even the subject of what is 'nonpolitical' is a choice. What if a user strongly preferred they/them pronouns? Would it be political for moderators to punish disregard for that preference? Twenty years ago people would have laughed at that request and called it crazy. Five years ago there'd have been screaming about SJWs. Today the request might be considered common decency. The definition of what is 'political' and what is simply human decency has changed.

The 'anti drama' stance is as political as any other; it is an argument for acceptance of the status quo.

HLP is a tiny community. Attempts to govern it by legalism and tabulated rules are futile, because it runs mostly on interpersonal dynamics. It's so small that individual users set the tone. Naturally the people who obsess the most over Posting have the most to say about it.

I don't care about PolDisc in particular because there are much larger and more informative places on the internet to have conversations about politics, but if it's a nice place for a few posters to hang out and chill and talk about, I dunno, missile emplacements in the South China Sea, why not let 'em have it.

Personally I don't care what yall do as long as I can post more BP if it gets made.

e:

If PolDisc is going to stick around it needs to be a place for discussion of current events and non-confrontational sharing of views where people have enough sense to avoid idiotic fight club threads where they try to own each over other irreconcilable ideological differences.

Brutal owns are actually the best things to come out of politics threads

Yeah, this?  This right here.  That's why I try to avoid Pol Disc.  It's obnoxious. 
All hail the masters of the universe... or not.  :rolleyes:

EDIT to clarify, before I'm forced to write an apology:  I'm referring to an attitude exemplified by a person, not the person themselves.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:36:27 pm by jr2 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
That said, if I ask you where homosexuals end up after they die, I wonder if your answer would be tolerant, and what one ought to do to conform to your signature in that case.

My answer ended up being way too long for this thread, so I made a new one: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97077.msg1904539#msg1904539

Parliamentary procedure?

This should probably be moved to PolDisc.

:lol:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well this is not the best moment in HLP's history where one can possibly claim that such setting works.

Take a look at the recent chaos we've experienced. Did it happen because people were debating over the damage per second inflicted by a BGreen? I don't think so.

I keep pointing out that the last major problem I had with the way this site was run WAS over Freespace. So yes, this sort of thing absolutely can happen over something like that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Have you guys seen all the drama coming out of Site Support/Feedback? That subforum is clearly a problem and has to go.

I make a motion to delete this subforum.

Except the Site Support/Feedback board serves a true purpose which is relevant to website management, and most threads in that board do in fact address important subjects.

PolDisc is different. It could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't affect anything critical about this website.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Lorric

This is fair, but if you had to choose between the two at some point...

I'd moderate based on behaviour and not the side of the subject fence.
This is exactly how it should be. However, how it really is, and has been since I've been here, is at best the staff stand back and stand by while the people who believe off topic should be cleansed of everything that doesn't fit their narrow worldview get to work making it a hostile environment, and at worst, the mods expedite this process with mod power, selectively punishing behaviour which the other side can engage in with impunity. And that's before we get to people in that group who are mods as well...

I've watched it go from really diverse to almost totally monolithic because of this. It was even more diverse if I go back in time to before I joined. Go check it out if you want to see what was lost.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 05:47:41 am by Lorric »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've been here 21 years at least.  I've seen changes,  I just don't often get to moderate because I'm not constantly on because (over the years) work, women, gym, army, beer, women, beer, work, bombs, near fatality, women, beer, work, marriage, kids, work, 1500 mile a week driving, kids, lack of sleep and missing beer... anything I notice has already had other moderator action and I am a massive advocate of not double handling.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Definitely pre millennial.  Maybe my brain is lumping it all together from the Volition watch forums/archives and squad war days.

When did this start?

I wasn't too far behind
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=224

And that's with my clan tags too 😂😘😜😜
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Thunder (*cough cough*) registered on 2001-01-07.

You registered a week after I did. :cool:

But yeah, there was definitely a bit of time last millennia when the VBB, and then the VWBB, were the places to be.

Remember good ol' HemorrhoidFrogButt? :p
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:35:12 am by Sandwich »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I registered on the 11rh of June same year??
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
So... the Hammer of HLP 0wnage was the 8th member of this community. It looks like the banhammer was required since the very beginning. :p
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Why is that framed like a question? :wtf:

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
So... the Hammer of HLP 0wnage was the 8th member of this community. It looks like the banhammer was required since the very beginning. :p

With the Squad War community after the Volition forums closed down?

Should've been the 0th member.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Naughty naughty first 7...

Why is that framed like a question? :wtf:

Because I cant rememeber which way round HLP uses dates.  USA style or English.

With the Squad War community after the Volition forums closed down?

Should've been the 0th member.

Roughneck are all trouble.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.