Author Topic: 20041102 build  (Read 8450 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This contains the most recent CVS tree as of yesterday (today too, since nothing was committed since).  Since taylor committed a bunch of his stuff recently, this also includes the new pilot code, the IBX code, and several fixes.

Download it here.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
*Downloads and tries to run it*

The build works!
The only problem I have yet encoutnered was that simulated speech does not work. In the launcher's Speech tab it does, but in-game it doesn't.
It also notified me that the commandline -phreak does not recognisable and I know it does not cause any problem, I merely mentioned it. :)

[EDIT2]Ah! Sorry to say that but it crashed and I had to reboot. After downloading and running the build I tested one of the Journey to Epsilon Pegasi missions. Then I switched back to HLP and wrote the few lines above. Then I switched back to FreeSpace 2(ALT-TAB) and I never saw any color save black until I rebooted. It was a full crash, even the background music stopped to play.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 01:50:31 pm by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Lynx

Works good so far.

One question. The ambient_factor command line doesn't seem to do anything. And unlike older HTL builds it always starts with amientlight on. I hope you haven't disabled it since I still hate ambient light.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by TopAce
...simulated speech does not work. In the launcher's Speech tab it does, but in-game it doesn't.
The build doesn't have simulated speech compiled in.  That's probably something that should be added to the launcher - check if speech is enabled.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
It also notified me that the commandline -phreak does not recognisable and I know it does not cause any problem, I merely mentioned it. :)

-phreak was renamed not too long ago.  Don't remember what to though, let me check... it's -dualscanlines.

Ah! Sorry to say that but it crashed and I had to reboot. After downloading and running the build I tested one of the Journey to Epsilon Pegasi missions. Then I switched back to HLP and wrote the few lines above. Then I switched back to FreeSpace 2(ALT-TAB) and I never saw any color save black until I rebooted. It was a full crash, even the background music stopped to play.

Yeah Alt-Tab is broken, but I think it's just in D3D.  I've looked at it but I don't know enough about DirectX to do anything but look at it in a heavily sedated stare while drooling slightly from the right side of my mouth.

Originally posted by Lynx
One question. The ambient_factor command line doesn't seem to do anything. And unlike older HTL builds it always starts with amientlight on. I hope you haven't disabled it since I still hate ambient light.

Is this with D3D or OpenGL?  What are you trying to set it to?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Goober5000
The build doesn't have simulated speech compiled in.  That's probably something that should be added to the launcher - check if speech is enabled.

Wait, if the speech is not implemented into this build, why should I check if it is on?
This is how my Launcher looks like:

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Er, sorry, that was unclear.  I meant: an option to check-if-speech-is-enabled should be added to the launcher.  The launcher currently only checks if speech is installed on the computer, not if the build was compiled with it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I found that option, but the launcher warned me that speech wasn't compiled.

Offline Lynx

Originally posted by taylor
Is this with D3D or OpenGL?  What are you trying to set it to?

It occurs both in GL and D3d. Maybe I'm doing something wrong..it's a lot of time since I actually played around with them. I tried multiple values, and nothing had a visible affect. Even when I don't include it at all there's still the same amount of ambient light.

The correct term is like ambient_factor 75 (just to make sure it's not me doing anything stupid).
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I found that option, but the launcher warned me that speech wasn't compiled.
Oh good.  That's what it's supposed to do then.  Speech wasn't compiled, so speech won't work.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Clear enough.

Offline Axem

Woo! New sexps and fun boxes to check. ;)

Just two things I've noticed. The opening movie doesn't show, but I can still hear it play. And secondly, FRED messes with my screen gamma. I open it, then everything goes dark and I can barely see anything. I don't know if its my video card (R9600 256MB) or not, but I've never seen that happen before. It fixes itself when I go to some Advanced Display Properties tab.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Axem
And secondly, FRED messes with my screen gamma. I open it, then everything goes dark and I can barely see anything. I don't know if its my video card (R9600 256MB) or not, but I've never seen that happen before. It fixes itself when I go to some Advanced Display Properties tab.

Eww, missed thinking of that one for some reason.  I changed the gamma setting in OpenGL so that it actually works now.  It really needs to be disabled for FRED but I didn't think of that.  If you run the game with OpenGL and set the gamma to 1.00 then it should leave the gamma as it was originally when you run FRED.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
*raises hand that he had the same problem with FRED*
Also, the pilot I ran this new build with no longer can be read by the original 3.6 build.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
@TopAce:
Since taylor committed a bunch of his stuff recently, this also includes the new pilot code, the IBX code, and several fixes...

...From the first message in this thread.  All builds from now on will create pilots that don't work with 3.6 and below.

Offline Axem

Okay, I ran it through OpenGL, turned the brightness down to 1.00. Then on exit it had an illegal operation, and Fred still went dark...

Also the tech database has gone missing, completely empty. I tried removing all my table files from the data/table folder but still nothing shows up. Ships do appear in game though.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Try starting a new campaign to bring the tech database back (admittedly in it's original form).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Axem

Ah, shoot shoot. Nevermind, had a mod selected that does have a Herc II, nothing to see here.

Yeah, that fixed it. Thanks kara. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 05:18:50 pm by 1840 »

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Can we get a build of this with the voice support included?
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
...also including -3dwarpeffect command line and restoration of standard lighting for FRED.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!