Author Topic: 20041106 build  (Read 18093 times)

Originally posted by Vertigo1

Speaking as someone thats actually worked on Dells in the past, I can honestly say that the newer models are pieces of utter garbage.  I could go into a long-winded rant on how horrible Dell has gotten over the years, but by the time I typed it all up the board would log me out automatically. ;)  Suffice it to say, they use cheap retention methods instead of doing things like they should have from the beginning.  For instance, the only thing holding down all the peripherials in the PCI and AGP slots is a little plastic lever.  There are NO screws at all.  If that plastic lever were to dry-rot and break...good luck keeping those cards in those slots securely.  The heatsink retention method is severely lacking to say the least.  One good thump on the case and the damn thing falls off!  They don't even use a damn fan on the thing!  The only thing keeping your processor from overheating is a cheapass plastic shroud covering it, which leads to a very slow outlet fan (the only fan in the case, not counting the one in the power supply).  They're even so cheap that they slap in PC2100 DDR (266MHz effective) instead of atleast PC3200 (which would match the processor's FSB if its an older P4,) which only cost them what...a couple dollars more?  Way to go Dell... :rolleyes:  This may not mean anything to you, but using slower RAM hinders your performance greatly.  Its like sticking a 3 cylinder engine into a full-size pickup.  Sure, it'll work, but it'll take you forever to get anywhere.  Lastly, their wiring methods are completely sub-standard.  The power and ribbon cables are strewn all about the case, which not only hampers what little airflow you might have, but it looks like ****!

If you think Dell is bad after reading this, HP and Compaq are even worse offenders!  Atleast I have some room to work with in a Dell.  HP and Compaq cram everything together so damn tightly that I have to remove 80% of what's in there just to get at the RAM!  The airflow is so minimal that if its running in a dusty environment, be ready for overheating issues.

Alienware...you get charged three to four times what it would cost to build the damn thing yourself!  Alienware is so overpriced, its rediculous.  Its like buying a Toyota at the price you'd normally pay for a Mercedez.  The only thing they're good for is picking out parts for yourself, and then shopping around for the best price.

I couldnt have said it better. I have worked on many Dells in the past and here is what I have learned. Dells used to be fine computers but they have gone VERY FAR DOWN HILL in the last couple of years. WTF are they thinking when they put only 128 of RAM (even shared with the graphics) in their economy model. With that much ram the comp can barely boot!!! Then there is the integrated graphics issue that totally ****s those 128 RAM computers up. The minimum shared RAM you can set the graphics level to is 64 mb. This leaves you with only 64 mb (128 - 64 = 64) of system memory. Pieces of crap. The ones with integrated dont even come with an AGP slot!!! I dont see how they let such pieces of crap leave their factory.  Almost all of them are completely un-upgradeable Just dont get Dell. Build your own (look online, there are a lot of good things that can help you out). Heck, I may even be able to help you out a little....

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
you express my frustration very well
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline c_n00b

still, it'll be way better than what i have now.  not to mention, im not the one paying for it, so even a dell's a pretty big value at $0.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by c_n00b
still, it'll be way better than what i have now.  not to mention, im not the one paying for it, so even a dell's a pretty big value at $0.

Dude, take it from someone that knows better.  You will not be happy with that machine.  If you aren't willing to build it yourself, shop around at the local stores.  Set yourself a budget of what you're actually willing to pay for the machine, build yourself a parts list and see what the local shops will sell it to you for.  Remember, local support is always preferable.  Also keep in mind that Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, and all the others do not have tech support call centers here in the US.  When you call them for help, your call is being rounted all the way out to India to some guy making maybe $5 an hour that barely knows how to turn the damn things on.  Everything they tell you is written down for them on a sheet of paper.  If what you ask them isn't on there, the first time they'll tell you to do is use the system restore disk. :rolleyes:  Furthermore, if you ever have the thing serviced by an "authorized dealer", they automatically run system restore disk to restore the computer to "factory conditions".  The thing is, they don't tell you this beforehand, so any data you had on there is gone.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Oh yea. I have had that crap before. They make you pay extra tof the actual tech support. They kill all of the problems that they cant fix with a sledgehammer which is reformatting. God, I hate that crap.