Author Topic: 20050208 build - for Windows  (Read 11624 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
20050208 build - for Windows
I got a hang up in clash of the titans II...

But I found that my Ares has a working cocpit :D
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

This Build Temporarily Broke My Video Card
Three things
1. The HUD now works in OpenGL with Show Ship on.
2. The Perseus cockpit is now off center and the eye point is too close to the front
3. I encountered in JAD Mission 3 (Inferno) an extremely nasty "polygon stretch" effect that effected all ships...including ones that were involved in mission when I viewed them in the techroom! Then I clicked on PVFr Ma'at and the screen went green and corrupted, and I had problems getting FS2 to shut down. Then I noticed that Windows was slow as if it is before it runs the GART AGP tests first time radeon drivers are installed. I ran the Direct3D tests in DirectX Diagnostics: My worst fears were confirmed.

It couldnt even create a Direct3D backbuffer anymore, even though I was running FS2Open in OPENGL.

This build disabled my video card's entire 3D subsystem. I ran Freelancer and it was completely black. No rendering. Every other game was the same way.

I rebooted, crossed my fingers, and well the video card is fine now. But this scared the heck out of me.

FOR OBVIOUS REASONS I will *NOT* even ATTEMPT to replicate this (sorry, beta testing isn't worth buying new video cards. you can never be too careful.) I'm going back to the Cumulative Build, the last build I ever tried that was safe for me.

VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 11:35:11 pm by 1644 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Has anyone been having trouble with seemingly-random freezing mid-mission?
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: This Build Temporarily Broke My Video Card
Originally posted by Gregster2k
2. The Perseus cockpit is now off center and the eye point is too close to the front

That's the hi-poly one right?  The new one with glowpoints or the older one?  I haven't noticed this but I don't think I've tried with the glowpointed one yet.  Could be code releated but then it should affect all ships.

3. I encountered in JAD Mission 3 (Inferno) an extremely nasty "polygon stretch" effect that effected all ships...including ones that were involved in mission when I viewed them in the techroom! Then I clicked on PVFr Ma'at and the screen went green and corrupted, and I had problems getting FS2 to shut down. Then I noticed that Windows was slow as if it is before it runs the GART AGP tests first time radeon drivers are installed. I ran the Direct3D tests in DirectX Diagnostics: My worst fears were confirmed.

Holy crap dude!  Anyone else having this problem?  I've been testing this build for the past 3 days without issue.  There are a few D3D changes to try and fix the ALT-TAB crash but they didn't help much.  Those should only be used when running D3D though and never be used in OpenGL mode.  Even so it shouldn't cause problems like this.  I'll go over everything just to make sure that there isn't an obvious problem.  I am going to update the current build without those D3D changes though, just in case.

And what driver version are you running?  If anyone else has this problem please say so as quickly as possible.

Originally posted by Raa
I got a hang up in clash of the titans II...

Ok, I'll try with that one and see what happens.  If I can get it to hang in Linux it would be easy to figure out why and where.  Does it happen in any particular place?  OGL and/or D3D?  (can't use D3D in Linux which why I want to make sure)

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Has anyone been having trouble with seemingly-random freezing mid-mission?

Quite a few people have reported that in the past couple of builds.  Are you getting it now too?  I still haven't been able to recreate it.  I think the general consensus is that it only happens in-mission (at random times, may depend on mission), it coincides with an event change and seems to happen in both D3D and OGL.  I only remember hearing about this after the Linux merge.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Just hung up in the techroom, while I was looking at the Ares. I had just taken a screenshot, (In D3D mode) and then rotated the ship, and it froze...

And come to think of it, I think it froze in mission shortly after pressing printscreen, too. :wtf: Hm...

I'll check a bit more.

Offline WMCoolmon

It happens fairly consistently in a mission in STL: Origins. actually. I've tried debugging but haven't really gotten anywhere.
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
It happens fairly consistently in a mission in STL: Origins. actually. I've tried debugging but haven't really gotten anywhere.

Don't suppose you have a link to Lightspeed's nebula anywhere?  They don't seem to be on his site anymore and no other link I've found works. :(

My report :)
I've tried this build on a P4 2.8Ghz, GeforceFX 5200 and 1Gb RAM.
DX9b too.

So far, no big issues. With all the separate VPs, aseffects.vp seems to expose a bug. It happened when I wanted to load the mission Lion at the door. I had to remove the vp to continue playing.
It would seem that the retail version doesn't write an error log anymore.

Here's the output of the screen it showed:
Error: Can't open file
File:U:\src\cvs\fs2_open.linux\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1613

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory usage is a bit better. At least I have a 126Mb of free memory.
If you like, I'll post all this in mantis.
I'll keep checking more stufff. Let me know if you need anything else.

Oh. I didn't check if someone told this before, but it would seem that the mission breifings don't automatically continue. I have to fast forward it, "rewind" it and skip to the next part of the breifing.
I'll see if this isn't something of the vps.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by mrduckman
Here's the output of the screen it showed:
Error: Can't open file <cruiser03x.po**gt
Line: 1613

That's ones of those models that's in Lightspeed's shine pack.  The same ships.tbl is used in the MediaVP (mv_aseffects.vp) but not all of the models are there.  It's a known bug with the MediaVPs.

See if the mission breifing thing matches a Mantis bug (250).  It's not exactly the same but take a look.  I've tried repeatedly to reproduce that bug on multiple systems without success so I'm not sure what is happening there.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:43:56 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Re: Re: This Build Temporarily Broke My Video Card

SUBJECT: GTF Perseus that had weird offcentered cockpit

Taylor: "That's the hi-poly one [GTF Perseus] right?  The new one with glowpoints or the older one?  I haven't noticed this but I don't think I've tried with the glowpointed one yet.  Could be code releated but then it should affect all ships."

-----

SUBJECT:  The Polygon Stretch Corruption then Green Garbage not to mention DirectX itself being taken out temporarily...

Taylor: "Holy crap dude!  Anyone else having this problem I've been testing this build for the past 3 days without issue.  There are a few D3D changes to try and fix the ALT-TAB crash but they didn't help much.  Those should only be used when running D3D though and never be used in OpenGL mode.  Even so it shouldn't cause problems like this.  I'll go over everything just to make sure that there isn't an obvious problem.  I am going to update the current build without those D3D changes though, just in case.

And what driver version are you running?  If anyone else has this problem please say so as quickly as possible."

RESPONSE TO #1: The glowpointed version is what I believe I am using at this time. No idea about standard. Again, unless I can be assured of no long or short term damage to my card from stretched polys, green garbage, complete system slowdown and complete disabling of my AGP capabilities on my ATI card requiring a system reboot, that they are SAFE and won't damage the card...

:shaking:

The fact that a PROGRAM took out my DirectX/AGP entirely (could do 2D but not 3D) is quite disconcerting, considering FS2_Open was NEVER designed to DO that... :ick:

...unless you have militant monkey viruses in your code base or something...jk :D

RESPONSE TO #2: Driver version is the latest ATI Omega Drivers v2.5.97a. They rule.

------------------

NOTE: I did read somewhere I believe on the glowpoint thread that the Perseus HTL model has some sort of "Triangle of Death" or something like that, perhaps the Perseus is at fault and not the game.

My issue occurred under these graphical-related specifications:
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR with ATI Omega Drivers version v2.5.97a

AGP Fast Writes: DISABLED to improve system stability at no cost to performance

Flags:
-spec -glow -jpgtga -pcx2dds -ship_choice_3d -targetinfo -orbradar -3dwarp -ballistic_gauge -snd_preload -mpnoreturn -fps  -ambient_factor 72 -allslev -fov 0.75

Mission:
Just Another Day Campaign: Mission 3 (Inferno)

Screen Resolution/Mode:
1280x1024x32, OpenGL

Fly with the Perseus model:
GTF Perseus Glowpointed from the Little Things Bugging Me Thread

Use external view, fly around and target things
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 04:55:19 pm by 1644 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
@Gregster2k:  It shouldn't cause any real damage to your card.  Just some driver issue maybe and a restart should fix that.  It's your gear though and "use at your own risk" does apply.  If no other recent builds give you this same problem then try and stick with those for the time being or use D3D.  I'm mixing VBO and non-VBO buffers in this new code since it's faster with a size restriction but it may not be the best idea.  Your drivers/card may not like that so in the next build I'll go all VBO and we'll see if that makes the difference.  If you wanted to test this out you can use the -novbo cmdline option and it will avoid using any VBOs.  If that works then we'll know what the problem is.

I'm very surprised that you got the results that you did.  I keep seeing weird Omega related issues with OpenGL but it usually gets fixed pretty fast.  I think the newest is 2.6.0.5a which is based on 5.1.  May or may not make a difference if you wanted to upgrade.  Also give D3D a try.  I know you want get specmaps but at least see if you get any similar issues.  Although I've made changes to OGL rendering in this build I haven't touched D3D so it should be just like other builds.

I usually don't use the external view so I'll go back and test with that.  I'll try your same cmdline too just in case.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I tried to use it in Multiplayer mode, and it just flat out crashed when I clicked the flight deck image.

Originally posted by karajorma
Can't open file cruiser03x.po**gt

Thanks!

I'll try the zpack too. in the mission "Into the maelstrom" the game seems to hang. no log.. nothing. I'll see if it happens without vps

Tested with and without media vps. This build seem to hang with no reason. Just crashes. not leaving error logs.
The debug build throws these:

C:\Games\FS2Open\fs2_open_T-20050212-dbg.exe -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -dnoshowvid -fps -stats  -allslev

fs2_open_T-20050212-dbg caused an Access Violation in module d3d8.dll at 001b:6d9d5c6b.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 2/15/2005 02:44:32.
C:\Games\FS2Open\fs2_open_T-20050212-dbg.exe, run by anita.
1 processor(s), type 586.
1023 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Registers:
EAX=02f5b818 CS=001b EIP=6d9d5c6b EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00000000 SS=0023 ESP=0012f7d4 EBP=0012f7d4
ECX=00000000 DS=0023 ESI=001643c4 FS=003b
EDX=00164798 ES=0023 EDI=001643c0 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 01 5d ff a0 8c 00 00 00 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc

Warning: Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path

Model: cruiser01x.pof
Path: $path02
Vertex: 1
Turret model id:13

This probably means the turret was not specified in ships.tbl
File:U:\src\cvs\fs2_open.linux\code\Ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 6702

Call stack:
    parse_create_object()    parse_object()    parse_objects()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

Vertex: 2

Call stack:
    parse_create_object()    parse_object()    parse_objects()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

Vertex: 3

Call stack:

Model: cruiser01.pof
Vertex: 1

Call stack:
Warning: Couldn't open texture 'THRUSTER01'
referenced by model 'fighter2t-03.pof'

Line: 2640

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    ship_create()    parse_create_object()    parse_wing_create_ships()    parse_wing()    parse_wings()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning: Couldn't open texture 'fighter06-02b'
referenced by model 'fighter06.pof'

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    ship_create()    parse_create_object()    parse_wing_create_ships()    parse_wing()    parse_wings()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning: For ship 'GTF Hercules', detail level
mismatch (POF needs 5)
Line: 6592

Call stack:
    parse_create_object()    parse_wing_create_ships()    parse_wing()    parse_wings()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()------------------------------------------------------------------
mismatch (POF needs 5)

Call stack:
    parse_create_object()    parse_wing_create_ships()    parse_wing()    parse_wings()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()------------------------------------------------------------------
mismatch (POF needs 5)

Call stack:
mismatch (POF needs 5)

Call stack:
mismatch (POF needs 5)

Call stack:
mismatch (POF needs 5)

Call stack:
Warning: Couldn't open texture 'Shornetd'
referenced by model 'New_Qutrob.pof'

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    weapons_page_in()    level_page_in()    freespace_mission_load_stuff()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()
Warning: Null vector in vector normalize.
Trace out of vecmat.cpp and find offending code.

File:U:\src\cvs\fs2_open.linux\code\Math\VecMat.cpp
Line: 747

Call stack:
    vm_vec_normalize()    parse_tmap()    parse_bsp()    parse_sortnorm()    parse_bsp()    parse_sortnorm()    parse_bsp()    parse_sortnorm()    parse_bsp()    parse_sortnorm()    parse_bsp()    parse_sortnorm()    parse_bsp()    parse_sortnorm()    parse_bsp()------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The 02-12 build locks up on me too.  Sorry Taylor, but I'm sticking with PhReAk's last build.  I hope that 3.6.6 won't suffer from this.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I hope that 3.6.6 won't suffer from this.

It's not going to be release until this lockup problem gets solved.

Offline redmenace

Has anyone noticed any problems with the Maxim as of late.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by taylor

Don't suppose you have a link to Lightspeed's nebula anywhere?  They don't seem to be on his site anymore and no other link I've found works. :(

I'm uploading a copy to Warpcore now, barring any problems with my internet, it should be done in ~10 min.

The mission I've noticed the lockups on is the one where the Prophecy and an SD Demon duke it out (While the PVC Something runs away)

Edit: Linkie - http://fs2source.warpcore.org/new365/ls_neb.exe
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 09:47:59 pm by 374 »
-C