Author Topic: 20050728 build  (Read 25137 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I tried this out for a minute but couldn't really stand the 60hz on OGL. Will that refresh control be in the next release?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Registry option "OGL_RefreshRate", a DWORD value, set to whatever you want your refresh rate to be.  The default is 0 which will use whatever the system default is set to.  There is no error checking on this so if you put in some weird value it will either not go fullscreen, go fullscreen but falling back on the default 60Hz value (there will be a message in the log to that effect), or cause your monitor to explode.  

Regardless, it's your problem if you try and set it manually and things go wrong.  When the updated launcher is released then it will only allow values that your video card can actually support but I just haven't had the time to get that code done yet.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Where is this flag located? A search does not turn up anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by the danger warnings. Almost any CRT made in the last five years has some sort of overscan protection; the worst thing that can happen is it will show a message that it can't display stuff at the current setting. I'm sure LCDs have this too when running on a VGA connection. My monitor and almost any video card out there can do 140khz horizontal scanning and anyway, I use it without problems in some other games.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 12:26:07 pm by 296 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by CP5670
Where is this flag located? A search does not turn up anything.

In the source you mean?  If so then it's in code/graphics/gropengl.cpp in the opengl_go_fullscreen() function.  This is the first build that should have the new option.

I'm not sure what you mean by the danger warnings. Almost any CRT made in the last five years has some sort of overscan protection; the worst thing that can happen is it will show a message that it can't display stuff at the current setting. I'm sure LCDs have this too when running on a VGA connection. My monitor and almost any video card out there can do 140khz horizontal scanning and anyway, I use it without problems in some other games.

There's no telling what can happen in older CRTs and cheap LCDs, not to mention crappy video cards.  Since changing this setting does affect how hardware works it does carry with it a possibility of damage.  I don't expect it to be a problem for most people, just trying to scare off the ones that really don't know any better.  Those people are better off waiting for the new launcher which will cover their backs.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
In the source you mean?  If so then it's in code/graphics/gropengl.cpp in the opengl_go_fullscreen() function.  This is the first build that should have the new option.

Never mind, I didn't realize it was an FS2 specific flag. I thought you meant that it's some global OGL override that is already there somewhere in the registry, like the DirectX override setting.

Anyway, that works perfectly; I can now finally use 2048x1536 at 85hz. Thanks a lot. :)

There's no telling what can happen in older CRTs and cheap LCDs, not to mention crappy video cards.  Since changing this setting does affect how hardware works it does carry with it a possibility of damage.  I don't expect it to be a problem for most people, just trying to scare off the ones that really don't know any better.  Those people are better off waiting for the new launcher which will cover their backs.

Never hurts to make things idiot proof, I guess. :D

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I cannot hear a thing when I use ogg's instead of wavs. Ogg's play nicely when played with media player classic.

Edit:
So the problem was encoder, resetting default settings helped.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 11:23:22 pm by 173 »

Nice build, fast and stable. Now, that it is possible to use more shockwaves than shockwave01, how do i use them? For example, if i want a different shockwave for torpedos, which flag do i have to set or which table do i have to alter? I´ve searched through the tables and got no idea, where to specify it.

Also i found a little bug on this one. In "the sixth wonder" the calypso dies after a few seconds in mission and you make a weird "in-system-jump". It doesn´t happen in 0722.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
hmm... where's the lighting?

[EDIT] here.

no shinemaps, and no light sources.

Media VP's:
mv_core
mv_models
mv_textures
mv_effects and adv_effects
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 12:12:50 am by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What command lines are you using Cobra? Are you using OpenGL or Direct3D.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
-jpgtga -nomotiondebris -pcx2dds -d3d_no_vsync -dualscanlines -ballistic_gauge -nobeampierce -3dwarp -tbpwarpeffects -snd_preload -fps  -ambient_factor 60

and i'm using D3D.

[EDIT] and for some of the ships like the Fenris, Leviathan, Hippocrates, and a couple of fighters, the glowpoints and textures are missing. :wtf: (pics get too dark so i can't show you anything)

[EDIT 2] oh yeah, i also experienced this problem in 7/22.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 11:43:39 am by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Have you posted this in mantis?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Doesn't look like you are using -spec or -glow and the -ambient_factor of 60 will make everything pretty dark.  Remedy those things and let us know the difference.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
oh ****, forgot about that. :o

meh, they were always enabled so i never had a problem with it... :nervous:

[EDIT] and eh... delete the mantis report i submitted about this. :nervous:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 07:54:14 pm by 2299 »

Hi. Maybe i´ve found an interresting effect. Don´t know, if the code-wizzard are aware of it. If not, maybe you want to check it out, else ignore my post.

The white square bug in D3D mainly occur when an ani is played facing a light source (e.g. a sun). I´ve tested it severel times.  Maybe it´s just something, which happens on my machine. To test it, start any mission and face a sun, so it is in the middle of the screen. Then fire your weapon several times. After a few seconds, the squares occur. They disappear, when you´re turning away from the light-source and keep firing.
Hopefully i´ve made myself understandeble.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
this is 3.6.7, High Max. ;)

[EDIT] and the bugs come from experimenting with the code. i know that much. ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wrong on both counts, Cobra.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
....then why does the 2005728 build say 3.6.7 and not pre-3.6.7? :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Someone updated the version numbers ahead of time.  But even so, it's 3.6.7 beta, not 3.6.7 release.  The official 3.6.7 release doesn't come until we post a release thread.