Author Topic: Samsung SSD?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline est1895

Has anyone bought a Samsung SSD kit and had problems transferring their data using the migration software?

Offline emkay

Are you asking because you are about to try that as well, or because you already have problems?

I have a Samsung SSD, but honestly didn't even bother to use a migration software, because I think in case of such a significant hardware change it is best to start with a clean system.
Now, maybe that's too cautious, but with all the little differences that come along when changing from a classic HDD to an SSD, I think it is generally easier and less error-prone.

Just a general (but probably unnecessary) advice:
Create a backup of everything important, or keep the old HDD untouched while migrating your data. Also, if possible, keep a permanent backup of your data, as some SSD have firmware bugs which may occur only at very specific conditions and hence feel like coming "out of nowhere".

Offline est1895

A fellow college student needs a computer and she did find this one on craigslist: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/syd/4835049433.html

She can only afford $200. I was thinking later on when she can afford a Samsung SSD desktop kit, that she could speed her system and have a new SSD drive to boot.  I have 2 Samsung SSD's myself, but I did a clean install with them.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
If she can only afford $200, it should be going pretty much everywhere else but an SSD.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Assuming she has the RAM already upgraded and a decent CPU, why would that be?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A fellow college student needs a computer and she did find this one on craigslist: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/syd/4835049433.html

She can only afford $200. I was thinking later on when she can afford a Samsung SSD desktop kit, that she could speed her system and have a new SSD drive to boot.  I have 2 Samsung SSD's myself, but I did a clean install with them.

From what est1895 is saying here, it seems he's asking around on behalf of someone who wants to buy a PC for 200 USD. Not upgrade one, but buy one new; It seems to me that if you're in that kind of price range, upgrading the system in any way is pretty low on the list of priorities.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Oh.  *checks*  Athlon II?  hmmm....   notebook OK?

This one looks to be better:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sys/4856483168.html

Offline est1895

I've tried to convince her to get a laptop, but no she wants a desktop.  My other question is do you think that desktop will be too slow?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Too slow for what? Its kinda important to define the use case here.

Offline est1895

Just for college like using MS Office 365.  No gaming.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Then it will be  fast enough.