Author Topic: OMG. MW:2.  (Read 20879 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I've been following the "saga" of MW2 and its lack of dedicated servers for some time now over on Reddit. I can well understand why people are upset about this move as multiplayer support is severely crippled without it. Although the story of the game looks good, what remains to be seen is whether it's strong enough to salvage the game for many people.

As for the airport scene, I think it's great. The game has an adult certificate and we see violence of its sort or worse in literature and movies - so why not games? As much as I think IW have screwed up the multiplayer aspect of the game, I applaud them for choosing to put this scene in. I'm sure the usual tabloids will wheel the game out and point their finger at it the next time there's a high school killing or something similar though.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I've been following the "saga" of MW2 and its lack of dedicated servers for some time now over on Reddit. I can well understand why people are upset about this move as multiplayer support is severely crippled without it. Although the story of the game looks good, what remains to be seen is whether it's strong enough to salvage the game for many people.

As for the airport scene, I think it's great. The game has an adult certificate and we see violence of its sort or worse in literature and movies - so why not games? As much as I think IW have screwed up the multiplayer aspect of the game, I applaud them for choosing to put this scene in. I'm sure the usual tabloids will wheel the game out and point their finger at it the next time there's a high school killing or something similar though.
we can only hop this seen reduse the number of parents buying the game for their kids, for the console ones.
the issues its had in the recent run-up have essentially killed all my respect toward IW.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
9v9 is the max on the console for MW, so I guess I'm not missing much there :P

I do wish they hadn't gone bat**** insane with the story, but if they pull it off in an epic enough way, I will forgive anything.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
CoD: MW completely lost the cog-in-the-machine feel that I loved so much in the original Call of Duty. That entire special forces thing just makes that mostly impossible... Still, MW1 was a fun game and I expect MW2 to be the same: Fun, but not really a CoD game.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, kind of still a CoD game, just less of a traditional one.  The story still involves people, usually people who could be us with enough determination on our part, doing what they are called to do.  The only (only) thing that changed about that is how generic the player was.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Mmm, well TBH, I'm a fan of more "Player Involvement" in terms of storyline depth, rather than being the faceless cog-in-the-machine. Fair enough, it's all well and good, but it just doesn't bring out emotions in me until the character is given a face/voice etc etc. AFAIK, Roach or whatever his name was hasn't got a face or a voice, but it's still enough of a COD game for me to buy it.

I do wish they hadn't gone bat**** insane with the story, but if they pull it off in an epic enough way, I will forgive anything.
Hey, there was plenty of other butchering they could have done. At least it's not "Call of Duty: Futuristic Warfare" featuring a purple uber-cube that kills everything. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Aye. I couldn't stand Call of Duty 2.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfare-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars

Very interesting article detailing how utterly gimped and ****ed the PC version is. And http://www.modernwarfail2.com/ is just great.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfare-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars

Very interesting article detailing how utterly gimped and ****ed the PC version is. And http://www.modernwarfail2.com/ is just great.
i know, some of the most fun I've had i CoD franchise is modded high-player-count S&D. so awesome.
the Cretian   (likely misspelled) and shooting rang ones are win.

I believe this picture sums up IW's views quite well.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
watched the trailer. Felt a disturbance in the awesome.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
TBH I never really cared all that much for multi player, so as long as the game is awesome, which it looks set to be, I don't mind one bit.

JUST 6:15 HOURS TILL LAUNCH. :D :D
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was Battlefield 2 with a new engine and a campaign. That's it really. But a good game, nonetheless.
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Minus the vehicles and the open maps and the squads and the 64-person multiplayer and so on.

They're both about modern warfare, and they both have very snappy ballistics models, but past that, not sure.

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Well MW made each member of your team feel like a real person, you were sad when they died. In Battlefield 2 everyone is just another faceless soldier.
I mean when Gaz dies and Captain Price is about to die it is just ... :(

Oh and also it makes you feel like an elite soldier, especially during mile high club.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Well MW made each member of your team feel like a real person, you were sad when they died. In Battlefield 2 everyone is just another faceless soldier.
I mean when Gaz dies and Captain Price is about to die it is just ... :(

Oh and also it makes you feel like an elite soldier, especially during mile high club.

BF2 multi was a personal game, everyone had a voice and their own quirks, because they were real PEOPLE.
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right, but they were real adolescents playing from their rooms, not real badass special forces soldiers.  :p

I loved BF2, don't get me wrong, but I think I had more fun with CoD4 multiplayer just because I wasn't constantly getting jet/chopper raeped. (2142 was a great time too.)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Right, but they were real adolescents playing from their rooms, not real badass special forces soldiers.  :p

I loved BF2, don't get me wrong, but I think I had more fun with CoD4 multiplayer just because I wasn't constantly getting jet/chopper raeped. (2142 was a great time too.)
try Project reality:
THAT BF2 mod makes me feel so real, and at the same time epic fun, like when you apc was about to die, and you, being the driver and not wanting to die...again manage to bail and sprint out of site, the destruction of the APC providing enough  cover, leaving you alone, with basically only an  m4, behind enemy lines, you try to get to safety, and find yourself flanking an an enemy MG team, set up on a rooftop.
I never experienced anything better in any CoD game.
Spoiler:
Capt. Price IS IN the new game, saw him in at least one video, unlikely to be a flashback, IMO
The issue here is that a month ago, i thought the game was going to be amazing, and i wished it well, but everything since then if you have/had been following it has made me...angry...  with IW..
however, only 4months until the awesomeness of bad company 2!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Don't think Price is in the new game. You probably saw Captain MacTavish.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Don't think Price is in the new game. You probably saw Captain MacTavish.
nope. it said his name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBQsKvTEBwI
look at the subtitle at 51s, or 1:03. and 1:48
i seriously doubt there could be 2 different flashback missions.