Author Topic: OMG. MW:2.  (Read 20848 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
because of how everyone is ranting and raving about this game, i refuse to play it.

That's a stupid thing to do.

not really. the comercials really didnt intrest me, in fact they insulted my sense of taste. also its a genre game so i expect it to be like every other game like it. put some more intresting bait on the hook, then i might bite.

However, that isn't the reason you gave to begin with.  You said just because how other people ranted and raved about it, which by itself IS a stupid reason.

you fail at rebellion
lol

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Just finished MW2 and in spite of a few brilliant moments it was a huge letdown.

Damn.  :(

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Are you serious? I finished it last Friday night on Hardened and loved it. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The plot was incoherent and disconnected from reality, the gameplay was a tortuous and repetitive game of blood-spattered whack-a-mole, and none of it had the visceral awesome punch of MW1 levels
Spoiler:
(although there were a few excellent sequences, including Ghost and Roach's death, the assault on the oil rig/prison, and the very last quick-time event.)

But whole levels were simply plot holes (who was the tattooed man in the safe room? A Russian mobster? Why should we care?), the 'No Russian' sequence I was so excited about was simply gratuitous, the main, er, threat to America was completely preposterous, and they gratuitously killed off the ISS and its crew for no reason whatsoever.

It's as if they came up with a series of cool movie tributes to do and then strung them together.

Also, for ****'s sake, that Favela level was irritating.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:06:04 am by General Battuta »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
That's for MW3 to answer. They made certain parts so there could/would be another sequel.

And the only thing I agree with is that the Favela level was irritating.

But why do I get the feeling that you didn't seem to understand why USA is attacked due to that 'No Russian' mission? Same with the ISS destruction?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nope, I understood the plot completely - it was fairly simple. It was just scattered and incoherent.

Spoiler:
Makarov frames up the CIA for committing the airport massacre by leaving a body on the scene, so they invade using the cracked ACS module data (har har, not likely - you can't move a force that big without being seen by other methods.) Your Ranger company farts around a bit in Virginia rescuing an unnamed, plot-irrelevant man (Raptor) and picking up a HVI who turns out to be dead/plot irrelevant. The SAS goes to great lengths to get Price, who is the one man Makarov hates, and Price EMPs the US to stop the invasion. The EMP randomly destroys the ISS even though it's far outside of range and there shouldn't be a shockwave. We go after Makarov at his safe houses, retrieve data on him, get betrayed by Shepherd (again, motivations unclear, big plan kind of irrelevant), conduct a one-man attack on his base (farcical), go through a cringe-inducingly bad Zodiac chase, and then have a final cool knife fight deal. Game over, about five hours.

It was a really bad piece of storytelling compared to how good MW1 was. So much contrivance to string together a series of largely mediocre set pieces. I pine for the likes of 'Shock and Awe' and 'The Shot' and the last level of MW1.\

A couple sequences really got my heart going, though, including the beginning of the assault on the big Russian prison in the Little Birds.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:35:04 am by General Battuta »

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Nope, I understood the plot completely - it was fairly simple. It was just scattered and incoherent.

Spoiler:
Makarov frames up the CIA for committing the airport massacre by leaving a body on the scene, so they invade using the cracked ACS module data (har har, not likely - you can't move a force that big without being seen by other methods.) Your Ranger company farts around a bit in Virginia rescuing an unnamed, plot-irrelevant man (Raptor) and picking up a HVI who turns out to be dead/plot irrelevant. The SAS goes to great lengths to get Price, who is the one man Makarov hates, and Price EMPs the US to stop the invasion. The EMP randomly destroys the ISS even though it's far outside of range and there shouldn't be a shockwave. We go after Makarov at his safe houses, retrieve data on him, get betrayed by Shepherd (again, motivations unclear, big plan kind of irrelevant), conduct a one-man attack on his base (farcical), go through a cringe-inducingly bad Zodiac chase, and then have a final cool knife fight deal. Game over, about five hours.

It was a really bad piece of storytelling compared to how good MW1 was. So much contrivance to string together a series of largely mediocre set pieces. I pine for the likes of 'Shock and Awe' and 'The Shot' and the last level of MW1.\

A couple sequences really got my heart going, though, including the beginning of the assault on the big Russian prison in the Little Birds.
At least MW1's Russia MADE SENSE, unlike this one that falls for the ultranationalists because their leader died and IW wanted a nation to invade teh states for drama.
and then making up some SF group because apparently the SAS is too badass, with some grey morals as seen in first game, which made it a little more realistic, so you need some American to be in charge, aswell as supply some red shirts, i guess?
AND they kill the gordan freeman effect for soap, and generally kill the character, IMO.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Urgh, Gordan Freeman was ****. Those of you who found the Favella level irritating just don't know how to play it. :P The Favella was one of my favourites on Vet (although, I did die a few more times than I'd have liked to), but the beauty of it was that you had to have complete situational awareness and change your tactics constantly. I didn't die more than about 5-7 times on Hardened, but I sure as hell ran in circles a lot countering flanking attacks. :P Who knew open-shirted Militia men can take <4 rounds to the chest?  ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm sorry, but the Favela was absurd. One lone soldier being told to press on in the face of fierce resistance? It was silly.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It's happened before. :blah:

I forget the exact hill number, but a single guy in Korea held a hill against (I think) two divisions of Chinese and North Korean troops for about 18 hours.  He was captured, and awarded a Medal of Honor for it, but it still happened.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's fine, but do you think that would make a good video game level that would not break suspension of disbelief?

We have many more instances of lone soldiers being taken captive and used as hostages, or dragged through the streets and killed.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
But you only need one who held to make it somewhat plausible.  If mimicking something that happened in real life is breaking the suspension of disbelief, that's your own problem.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm sorry, but the Favela was absurd. One lone soldier being told to press on in the face of fierce resistance? It was silly.
Fair enough, it was silly, but so is the rest of the game. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But you only need one who held to make it somewhat plausible.  If mimicking something that happened in real life is breaking the suspension of disbelief, that's your own problem.

No, it's your problem too. There are many things that happen in real life that cannot be plausibly presented in fiction because they're seen as narrative fiat.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Remember "History is written by the victor" or something along those lines?
I think it was implying that Shepard was trying to shape the world in his own view.... maybe.

Haven't actually played MW2, just finished MW1 though...
And I'm at a loss. Do they have anything to do with each other, aside from a few reappearing characters?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, that's exactly it. I think it's presumed that Shepherd was Overlord Actual in MW:1, from the line about him losing 30,000 guys.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

HELD. Not pressed forward.

EDIT:
Ending was also somewhat unrealistic. Commandos are trained for kill moves. Especially with a knife.

Why didn't Sheppard jsut pull out the knife and cut out your throat? Becase then the palyer would be dead. Really, the guy acts like such a cliche villian, talking and taking his time strolling around when he could just twist that knife sticking from your chest and end you now.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:05:29 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Yeah, that's exactly it. I think it's presumed that Shepherd was Overlord Actual in MW:1, from the line about him losing 30,000 guys.
That makes a ton more sense.
Was he going for the war with Russia?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
EDIT:
Ending was also somewhat unrealistic. Commandos are trained for kill moves. Especially with a knife.
Trashman, how many times have you been in combat while in severe pain and under a helluva lot of pressure? Even learned guys make mistakes in those environments.
That makes a ton more sense.
Was he going for the war with Russia?
I guess, since he wanted to write history to portray him as the Hero of the Coalition or whatever.