Author Topic: HTL Iceni  (Read 132749 times)

Offline Nx

I don't know, but I've tried collada today with everything, and nothing can import the file exported by max. .ase has collision detection problems, .3ds flips the faces of some turrets (and is a major pain in the ass to fix after importing into truespace) and I've tried a few other formats but they all suck.
Here are the max files for the ship and the debris (excuse the mess), and two textures for nameplates. If you need a different format, just ask. Hope you have more luck than me
Sorry, it's taken me a while to get around to this, but now that I have I can't open those files in Max 7 nor in 3d exploration. Can you possibly export as .OBJs, .Xs or as a last resort .3DS? As long as UVs are intact I can sort out anything else. :)

.obj export

[attachment deleted by ninja]
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Water

Mesh for hull and dock have lost the textures. Turrets came through ok.
Eg. you can open the obj file in a text editor and search for usemtl to see the texture used.

Basically the hull and dock have a material applied but no texture. The exporter would have broken the mesh up into as many parts. One for each texture used. Don't know if it would have done the same for smoothing groups.

Hull - 7 textures?
Material 1 2 3 7 9 13 14

Dock - 2 textures?
Material 13 19

Offline Nx

Mesh for hull and dock have lost the textures. Turrets came through ok.
Eg. you can open the obj file in a text editor and search for usemtl to see the texture used.

Basically the hull and dock have a material applied but no texture. The exporter would have broken the mesh up into as many parts. One for each texture used. Don't know if it would have done the same for smoothing groups.

Hull - 7 textures?
Material 1 2 3 7 9 13 14

Dock - 2 textures?
Material 13 19

Deep exploration shows the textures correctly. Maybe it's just a problem with filenames?
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Water

There may be a simple reason for that. Usually when someone exports an obj file they also include the mtl (material) file in the zip. Deep exploration would show everything ok at your end if the mtl file is in the same directory as the obj file.

Offline Nx

There may be a simple reason for that. Usually when someone exports an obj file they also include the mtl (material) file in the zip. Deep exploration would show everything ok at your end if the mtl file is in the same directory as the obj file.

Yes, you're right. Reuploading

[attachment deleted by ninja]
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Water

The export look fine - Even the vertex colours came through

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
By god does that mean it's done? Come May it'll be 3 years since this accursed thread has existed.

Offline Water

Blend file with heirarchy and firepoints plus Truespace cob file. Nx give PCS2 a try.
Before VA starts, you may want to post link to debris and lods if you have them.
http://files.filefront.com/Iceni+blend+TSzip/;9993083;/fileinfo.html

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
 :eek2: IT LIVES!!!!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nx

Blend file with heirarchy and firepoints plus Truespace cob file. Nx give PCS2 a try.
Before VA starts, you may want to post link to debris and lods if you have them.
http://files.filefront.com/Iceni+blend+TSzip/;9993083;/fileinfo.html

Ok, I'll try it later today. I left out the debris because it's not important right now, I'll post it if this works. There are no lods yet, except for vanilla.

Edit: opened the blender file. Texturing of object detail0-2 is incorrect. The texture is rotated 90˚. Same goes for turret22-arm-1 and turret21-arms-1. This happens when I rotate the texture in the material editor in max, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do that since I know it causes problems.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:21:22 am by Nx »
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Water

If the dock has that problem then anything using Tcov6a will also have issues.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
*Bump*

Thought I'd let you know, the Iceni has been completed and will be in the next MVP set.
I've carefully baked the textures down to one map and finished the LODs and full volume debris off, but only one rather uninteresting pic - since hopefully that next MVP set is not too far away now and you can all do your own ogling. :D

And no, unfortunately there won't be an updated boadicea in the release. :(

That asteroid-ship-model complexity scares me. :shaking:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Droid803

:eek: that looks awesome!
(´・ω・`)

Offline Nx

*Bump*

Thought I'd let you know, the Iceni has been completed and will be in the next MVP set.
I've carefully baked the textures down to one map and finished the LODs and full volume debris off, but only one rather uninteresting pic - since hopefully that next MVP set is not too far away now and you can all do your own ogling. :D

And no, unfortunately there won't be an updated boadicea in the release. :(

That asteroid-ship-model complexity scares me. :shaking:

Great work! Thanks for your help
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Very good  :yes:
I never liked the looks of Iceni much, but seems thats gonna change soon. :nod:

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Eh? Why's it say NTCv Belisarius on the side of the Iceni?

Offline Droid803

You can read that!??!?
(´・ω・`)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Eh? Why's it say NTCv Belisarius on the side of the Iceni?

Because the nameplate.dds is modified to read "NTCv Belisarius" for one reason or another, and ship lab uses default nameplate for all ships.

As to the reason, probably troubleshooting reasons for making sure nameplate works properly on a model - it's easier to see that from a plate that has text in it than from a transparent nameplate.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Water

Is it possible to get the files before then as I'd like to see how a terran ship handles one map. (and possibly bug you with some questions)   ;)