Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305204 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
You know not of what you speak.
I speak of the 74 episode adaption of The Fugitive with the role of officer Gerard played by a guy with a typewriter for a hand and the one armed man played by a roof walking Antichrist who was raised as a Stasi child solder ..er i mean just born evil and burned down his upper class mansion home ...wait no he was he result of a eugenics experiment er, you know what, never mind.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Oh, god, only now I realized a certain character in the most recent episodes of Steven Universe is basically a Captain Harlock parody, my unconscious seems to have been playing tricks on me.  :nervous:
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

This is my favorite Captain Harlock knock-off
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

This is my favorite Captain Harlock knock-off
I didn't expect it to be referenced not just in one but two American shows, I usually don't expect 70s anime to be subjected to pop cultural osmosis in the US since they got late to the party.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Megas was basically one big loving homage to giant robot tropes. Sadly short-lived.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I didn't expect it to be referenced not just in one but two American shows, I usually don't expect 70s anime to be subjected to pop cultural osmosis in the US since they got late to the party.

Of the small minority of people who watched 70s anime and enjoined it, how much more likely than the general population were those people to end up working in the animation industry? If they were not like that to begin with, once on that track how likely were they to be exposed to and enjoy it? Who makes a lot of american animation? (hint: a lot of weebs)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Of the small minority of people who watched 70s anime and enjoined it, how much more likely than the general population were those people to end up working in the animation industry? If they were not like that to begin with, once on that track how likely were they to be exposed to and enjoy it? Who makes a lot of american animation? (hint: a lot of weebs)

Yes, but I noticed that american weebs (note: here you are more likely to see Lupin III t-shirts than Batman's while going for a walk so the concept of "weeb" is not as applicable here since a lot of this stuff is basically mainstream) are concentrated on rather recent stuff (no earlier than late 80s), so it's always surprising seeing something like the Lupin III cameo in Ducktales (whose source material is coincidentally VASTLY more popular here than in the US).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
RAISE YOUR FLAAAAAG
Iron Blooded Orphans I like.   
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So, I finished Space Pirate Captain Harlock, and I can say that even if I liked a lot of it I have found it weirdly inconsistent (a warrior alien guy looks like a humanoid alien, a few episodes later his son  and wife look completely human for example) and the way the pirate queen exits the scene in the flashback manages to be worse than Padme dying of heartbreak in Star Wars, you still have a daughter to take care of between bouts of space pirating GODDAMIT.
Though considering that according to TVtropes Mayu wasn't a thing in the original manga it might have been because nobody thought that perhaps keeping it as in the manga was a bad idea?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
RAISE YOUR FLAAAAAG
Iron Blooded Orphans I like.   

I knew it was going to be special when some kids got sniped in the first episode.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

When they're not afraid to kill children, then they aren't afraid to take risks with their plot.  ;) ;)

Offline Luis Dias

Hunter x Hunter is good anime. It's like Dragonball done right. And it even has a SAO done right arc. It has heart and soul. I'm liking it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Togashi can spin a damn good shounen. Now if he could only sit down and keep writing...

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So I tried the first reboot of Captain Harlock (since as I mentioned I remember watching some of it mixed up with the original series when I was a child) starting with the movie Arcadia of My Youth and I wasn't able to finish it.
The scenes seem weirdly disconnected at times (the weird genetic memory thing comes out of nowhere), the dialogues have much more "anime-ness" (I don't know if the fault lays with the Italian dub however) and often come off as stilted.
And note that I liked a lot of the ideas and the new art style (apart from Tochiro, who I guess is supposed to be very short and with less than average looks, there doesn't seem to be the weird crew of dwarves of the first series at least for the hour and twenty minutes of movie I managed to watch), but the way the thing is put toghether was difficult to digest for me.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hunter x Hunter is good anime. It's like Dragonball done right. And it even has a SAO done right arc. It has heart and soul. I'm liking it.

I tried to watch as it aired on Toonami, but it infodumps like a mother****er which absolutely wrecks the pacing of it.

It's done well, I just couldn't get into it.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah it does that a bit, but I don't mind because the dumps in themselves are not dumb. And if I'm being bored to death, I just skip ahead. I haven't done that much of that though.

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt
Just passing through HardLight again, im surprised my topic is still relatively active, damn.

Anyway, some updates on my anime watching:

Im watching Overlord Season 2, Citrus and the new Cardcaptor Sakura´s anime (its quite good btw).

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
So I recently suffered through watching the first episode of Pop Team Epic.  Even WORSE it played TWICE.  Why does this exist and where does the person who told me about it live?

What is there to watch that's actually good?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
So I recently suffered through watching the first episode of Pop Team Epic.  Even WORSE it played TWICE.  Why does this exist and where does the person who told me about it live?

The second time is with different voice actors. :P

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
As a further attempt to counter my Steven Universe withdrawal and out of curiosity since it was often mentioned as being similar to the Ducktales reboot I've been watching Gravity Falls.
At first I wasn't particularly impressed, it was apparently mostly focused on rapidfire (and sometimes a bit mean-spirited) gags until at least the first half of season one, then it gets exponentially better and season 2 is just awesome.
I guess the thing was an intentional slowburner like the first season of Star Wars Rebels but with the additional turn-off of being a bit too focused on over-the-top comedy for an adventure show (while the first episodes of Rebels while not super duper classics were still very enjoyable even if the horizontal plot required you to squint to see it), and after seeing the rest of the series I can say you can't even skip them since a lot of stuff in those first episodes pays off later in the series.
There is some inspiration from Twin Peaks, both for the kooky country town in the northwest of the US and for the sadistic interdimensional eldritch abominations hell-bent on doing nightmarish stuff to our reality only in a more conventional adventure cartoon frame.

PS: whoever says that Webby in the new Ducktales is a Mabel ripoff probably didn't see at least one of the two series, they are completely different characters.