Author Topic: Questions on 3.8.0 releases  (Read 2391 times)

Questions on 3.8.0 releases
Greetings,

I have found that on any 3.8.0 release newer than RC1 there appears to be a 50 character limit imposed on the "+Description:" line in table files.  This generates errors on start up but the actual descriptions appear to be working. 

Was this intended?  If not, is a fix planned?

I've also noticed that something changed in newer Nightly builds with the ordinance display in Diaspora at least.  Instead of being a top down wireframe it's now a rear profile solid display that doesn't lend itself very well to game play in Diaspora.  I'm not sure yet on what build that was changed, in the 3.8.0 release it's identical to what it was in 3.7.5.

Thank you,

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Re: Questions on 3.8.0 releases
The 50 character limit has always been a thing actually, certain warnings were just made more apparent.

As for the Diaspora issue, might be best to post pictures of before and after pictures?
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Thanks for the reply.  So for the 50 character limit all that can be done to suppress the warnings now is to edit the tables to comply?

Before picture is from Diaspora 3.7.5 Beta R2 x64 build.

After picture is from the 2/15/18 3.8.1 Nightly x64 build.  You can see how the stores appear to be in a "third person" view compared to top down and the wireframe is now solid.

In the 10/22/17 Nightly x64 build the stores display was correct but the render to texture DRADIS display wasn't present.

In the 11/18/17 Nightly x64 build the stores display had the wireframe but the stores were in third person and the DRADIS was working again.

There didn't appear to be builds between those two.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:27:32 pm by Nightstorm »

Offline m!m

The description length warning was added for a very good reason. If you go into the weapon or ship select room and look at a description that is too long it would have caused an assertion failure. The warning can be fixed by breaking the text up into multiple lines.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've fixed those line length problems in the Diaspora SVN actually. But they're in the new releases folder, not the R1 folder.

Thanks for reporting the missile issue Nightstorm. I've been meaning to do that for weeks but I always forget the second I jump out of Diaspora.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

In working on the 50 character warnings that we talked about, I've noticed that the "+Tech Description" when formatted with XSTR ect doesn't seem to have the limit.  Or at least if it does it's not warning for it.

Only the "+Description" seems to generate that warning.  Is there any issue with changing those to "+Tech Description" ?  Without the "in tech database" flag they still don't show up.  Though it would be fairly simple to get them in the tech room if desired.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Some of those things have a Tech Description already though. But if they don't, that would be another way of doing it. I just simply commented out the bits that were too long. They're only really needed for people who are looking at the tables anyway.

Does anyone have an idea as to what's causing the stores display to not work correctly in Diaspora? 

The lighting and newer effects are fantastic in the recent 3.8.1 builds, it would be awesome to get the stores display properly working again.

Thanks,

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The weird thing is the bug appears to be partially resolved in newer builds. Now the missiles are oriented correctly but are still green like the rest of the Viper.

Really?  Running the 2/28 nightly they still look like the rear perspective.  I don't see anything different.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94539 should have the fixes for this now.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Yes thank you.  I look forward to testing tonight.