No
2 (2.3%)
Maybe so
12 (14%)
Huh?
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: April 12, 2004, 05:12:47 am

Author Topic: New Subspace Tunnel Model?  (Read 44200 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
New Subspace Tunnel Model?
Originally posted by mikhael
How about something like this:

Rotate it slightly off the main axis. The twist keeps the terminal points of subspace out of sight. It also allows subspace to occlude itself, which can only help lend a stomach-lurching quality to it. If you give it a partially transparent map, with a couple of surrounding simple cylinders with odd effects on them, you can add the requisite parallax effects. :)

Intresting, but since you don't travel from one end of the model to the other, but instead the model travels with you, it won't be very convincing.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
the model would spin, and the map is scrolling, the effect should be the same, save for the vortex look. Thing is, it's transparent, so I wonder how it'd actually look like ingame.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Zuljin

• Cake!
Originally posted by Nico
the model would spin, and the map is scrolling, the effect should be the same, save for the vortex look. Thing is, it's transparent, so I wonder how it'd actually look like ingame.

As far as I know, only one way to find out :)
I think that model should be tried out, just to see how it looks and works in game.
*waits patiently for screenies* ;)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
My thinking on this is that the mesh rotates around the player on the long axis. You don't actually travel down the model, per se. The maps on the mesh are animated and flow 'back' along the lenght of the tunnel, giving the appearance of movement.

And if you want an explanation of why a fighter can manuever in subspace, I say its because they're actually in a bubble of normal space that's flowing through the subspace tunnel. Does it make sense? No. Does it fit what we see at the end of FS1? absolutely. :)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Grab my cheesy subspace model.

Its in 3ds format, and its rough as hell. See what you can do with it. Most of all, have fun.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'll have it i ngame tomorrow night, if you wish...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Hmmm...I wanna see Mik's model in action. One thing though...:V: tried to propose the effect of "moving" in the subspace tunnel...and to me, undoubtedly a few others, the subspace missions make you feel like you're not moving at all.

It's like, you punch your burners...but you don't seem to get very far and the only reason that you know you're moving is because your targets get closer. The subspace actually makes you feel...slower. I'm not sure what actually causes the effect, but I'm sure we want to get rid of that. :blah:

I actually thought that it was a very cool effect :(

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by AqueousShadow
Hmmm...I wanna see Mik's model in action. One thing though...:V: tried to propose the effect of "moving" in the subspace tunnel...and to me, undoubtedly a few others, the subspace missions make you feel like you're not moving at all.

It's like, you punch your burners...but you don't seem to get very far and the only reason that you know you're moving is because your targets get closer. The subspace actually makes you feel...slower. I'm not sure what actually causes the effect, but I'm sure we want to get rid of that. :blah:

thats because theres almost no reference because the debris blends in with the backround. If you wanted to get the feeling of subspace ripping past you, you would have to make an animated tex :P
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by AqueousShadow

I liked that effect. Made it feel like you were in subspace, rather than normal space with a weird blue spinny thing around it.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
It's really a good use of irony, subspace seems slower, when in fact it is a million times faster that anything in normal space.

BTW, a tactical jump, as seen in Inferno, should be near-instantaneous.  Given the nature of subspace.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
I actually thought that it was a very cool effect :(

Me to, felt like falling.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Something weird with Raa Tor'h's subspace model; Subspace is going backwards and suns don't appear. I know because I tried using it on a subspace mission I'm working on; it's going the opposite direction to the old model and where used to be a sun, there now is none.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 03:00:33 am by 1494 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
There's never been a sun, you have to add them manually at each end of the tunnel.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Yes, I know. What I'm saying is with the old subspace model you could see the sun (yes, it was manually added) but with Raa Tor'h's model it's just not there. Also it doesn't emit any light, even though it is there in FRED.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Raa, could you convert mik's model for in-game use? :)

I'd definately make a non-blurry texture for it if it looks good :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I see what the problem was... I'll fix mine, and make up Mikhael's version next...

I like the curvy model, but like it was mentioned before, it doesn't feel like you're moving forwards or backwards.

If it's possible, have a starfield outside rotating "drums" that warps based on your velocity.  Say if you're sitting still, the stars look normal, if you're using afterburners, have em look like Star Trek stars.

Also I think it'd be cool if the ambient light sorta went from white to blue and back, since most of the subspace skins are blue and white...

and and and have lightning sparks between the innermost two drums :D

most of this probably isn't feasible tho :(

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Bad news all. Mik's subspace is a no go. Heres why:

First, you have to know how the subspace system works; 2 pof files are used, subspace_big and subspace_small. Subspace_big is the light blue one that rotates on the outside. While both models' textures are 'pulled' along the z-axis in game, only subspace_big actually rotates. Also, the textures are transparent, so Mik's mesh makes subspace look like.. well, this:

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
oh, poop :sigh:
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1