Author Topic: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!  (Read 123486 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!
Rhino is built around NURBS modeling, not polymeshes, and it doesn't support UV mapping. I used to model in Rhino; had to draw each polygon individually, vertex by vertex.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Honestly I'm not quite sure what differences the meshes have when I export into different file formats the models look the same? The texture mapping is pretty good now in 4.0, can actually view the rendered model without any speed hits while I work with it too. I do find some advantages working with nurbs solids then meshing the results if that is what you mean?
I just find it infinately faster and easier to get my desired shapes and models. Of course game model design is still new to me. My only previous experience with game modeling was Abacus and Combat Flight Simulator 1 & 2.
So far this has proven more difficult to make happen, but I'm enjoying the hobby and I like modeling with this platform.
If I absolutley have to I can use MAX 4 but I'll be frakked if I'll pay the same price for a 13 month limited student version of MAX for my hobby needs.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
You don't have to.

If you can get a copy of Gmax, you can use the export script to export directly to POF.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55007.0.html
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
The odd thing is that the lines are already ending with \r\n. The \r turns into "" on export though.

Support for other formats is really unlikely to happen, given that the whole point of Collada was to negate the need for directly supporting anything else.

The same thing fbx is supposed to accomplish?

You don't have to.

If you can get a copy of Gmax, you can use the export script to export directly to POF.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55007.0.html
Is that specifically for GMAX?
I do have the POF export tool installed for MAX 4.
Although, Max 4 is like Max in general, fairly obtuse and steep to figure out.
I'll work my Rhino and check it out with MAX, but 4 is so limited with textures it isn't funny. Also it is impossible to find the 4.2 service pack that fixes most of it. I have a valid license for MAX 4 but of course none of the supporting systems with it and the commercial upgrade is again beyond worth spending the time or money on for a hobby.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No, it's the script that was just written for GMax and Max4+.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Dockpoints and gunbanks should be grouped now.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Ok, I'll run some tests on that. :)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
In case anyone cares (does anyone care?), partial glowpoint support is in.

Positions, radii and textures are working. Times default to 0; LOD defaults to 0; type defaults to 0; normals default to (0,0,0). I doubt anyone would care about any of those apart from times.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
How close are you to the prize? I am following the rapid progress of this program with some degree of astonished admiration.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not sure, but it is testable, and it looks like the input requirements are up to date on the Collada Importer Wiki page.  Give it a whirl and see how it fares.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
In case anyone cares (does anyone care?), partial glowpoint support is in.

Positions, radii and textures are working. Times default to 0; LOD defaults to 0; type defaults to 0; normals default to (0,0,0). I doubt anyone would care about any of those apart from times.

I care! (A lot!)

I simply was a bit too busy. Don't worry. I consider this to be one of the most important developments for FSO atm. ;)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
How close are you to the prize? I am following the rapid progress of this program with some degree of astonished admiration.

Oh, without a doubt Spicious has won it. It's just a matter of time until he--and the testers--get the rest of the POF features and documentation done. :)

Spiky, I've been thinking about this problem with no text fields available to put in model data. Is it too late, or not possible, to have the app parse the necessary data from a separate plaintext file? (such as a model.ini in the same directory as the .DAE)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Any word why the fbx converted to DAE by the Autodesk converter doesn't work properly?

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Spiky, I've been thinking about this problem with no text fields available to put in model data. Is it too late, or not possible, to have the app parse the necessary data from a separate plaintext file? (such as a model.ini in the same directory as the .DAE)
It's definitely possible. The question is whether it would be an improvement over the existing options.

Any word why the fbx converted to DAE by the Autodesk converter doesn't work properly?
No idea. Send it over and I'll tell you.

Offline Topgun

what does this program do? convert dae into pmf? or dae into pof?

I'll take a look with one of the example models when I get home.
I just saw a previous post about it not functioning, but havent had time to test.
I'll try to have some evidence before wasting anyones time again. My apologies :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
what does this program do? convert dae into pmf? or dae into pof?

It converts DAE<->PMF. The PMF<->POF routines are all built into PCS.

Is there a link for the converter? I've read through this entire thing and seemed to have missed it *rubs eyes*
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"