Author Topic: Script release: Death roll script  (Read 5302 times)

Offline m!m

Script release: Death roll script
Hello everybody,
Here is a new script which I created on request of Nighteyes. It tries to make the blow-up sequence of a ship more realistic by 1) repeatedly turning the glowmaps and glowpoints on and off to simulate the effect of a ship wide energy failure and 2) destroys the subsystems of the ship in a random order.
This script requires a custom FSO build because the required patch isn't in trunk yet. The required patch is in trunk as of revision 8199. Be sure to use a build with that revision or higher. You can download those builds from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfg9qlyc5zi0vqi.
Script download: http://www.mediafire.com/?u3dcht71usvnkrw

Important: The script uses code from the ParticleTrailScript and requires this to be in the folder ParticleScript to work correctly. I'll create a stand-alone version if requested.
It's currently not possible to change the values which the script uses but it's planed that these can be specified on a per-shipclass basis.

Known Issues:
  • The script will also enable the glowmaps/points when they are disabled by the mission creator

Regards,
m!m
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:17:01 am by m!m »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Script release: Death roll script
Someone up a vid to YouTube; I wanna see!  :yes:  :nod:

Offline Nighteyes

any update on this? is the patch already in trunk?

Offline m!m

No, sadly not...

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Someone up a vid to YouTube; I wanna see!  :yes:  :nod:
:yes:  :nod:
Please?
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Nighteyes

any update on this? is the patch already in trunk?

just a small bump to see if anything changed...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If it's the patch I'm thinking about, The_E commited it already.

Offline m!m

The patch is in trunk and possibly in RC4 but I'm not sure on that. What Dragon said :D
I also have a code patch which allows me better control of the glowmaps and -points but I don't use that currently so I can't be sure if it actually work.

Offline Nighteyes

what im asking is is this script ready to go? everything working as planned?  :)

Offline m!m

Yes, if you have a build with revision 8199 or later you can use it where ever you want.

EDIT: Just checked, it doesn't look like the patch made it into the RC branch so you will have to use a trunk build.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Wow nice!!

Several feature suggestions:
1. Disable glowmaps for debris chunks after death (mainly for tilemapped capital ships); would be silly to see them still light up as debris.
2. Have glowmaps flicker on and off first occur when the damage electrical arcing effect starts showing.  Increase the rate of flickering as the ship becomes more damaged, culminating in rapid, random flickering upon death.
3. Death sound (not sure if already implemented) - - - have the engine play a sound (specify sound entry, number of times played, and interval between each play) upon ship death.  Eg - - - it would be interesting to hear a capital ship's hull groan when it's destroyed.

R

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
1. Disable glowmaps for debris chunks after death (mainly for tilemapped capital ships); would be silly to see them still light up as debris.

Pretty sure that's just not possible.. also, how do you disable 'structural' glowmaps while still leaving on the orange fiery glowmaps?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline m!m

Last time I checked only the glowmaps of a ship could be disabled so this is (currently) not possible.

2. Have glowmaps flicker on and off first occur when the damage electrical arcing effect starts showing.  Increase the rate of flickering as the ship becomes more damaged, culminating in rapid, random flickering upon death.
I could probably add a way to trigger the flicker by remaining hitpoints from like 25% of hitpoints left.

3. Death sound (not sure if already implemented) - - - have the engine play a sound (specify sound entry, number of times played, and interval between each play) upon ship death.  Eg - - - it would be interesting to hear a capital ship's hull groan when it's destroyed.
It would probably better to request this as a code feature as it doesn't really fit the purpose of this script :nervous:

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Pretty sure that's just not possible.. also, how do you disable 'structural' glowmaps while still leaving on the orange fiery glowmaps?

As the skill set of HLPers increase, the Community is pushing towards UVmapping capital ships, whereas Inferno is fiercely resisting w/ tilemapped capital ships.  I won't blame you or anyone else if this request doesn't go through.

R

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I could probably add a way to trigger the flicker by remaining hitpoints from like 25% of hitpoints left.
Better yet, make it configurable, in the similar way engine smoke is. Min threshold, max threshold and gradual increase in flickering between the two, perhaps with another  "max flicker" value (with 0 being glowmaps disabled upon reaching max damage threshold and 100 meaning the feature will have no effect).

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Referred here by Droid, gettin' a bunch of

Code: [Select]
LUA ERROR: [string "deathRollManager.lua"]:157: attempt to call global 'safeRand' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------
    ADE Debug:
    Name:           (null)
    Name of:        (null)
    Function type:  (null)
    Defined on:     0
    Upvalues:       0

Source:         (null)
    Short source: 
    Current line:   0
    - Function line:        0

LUA Stack:

-type errors when I blow something up in Dimensional Eclipse.

Offline m!m

Dimensional Eclipse uses an outdated version of the ParticleScript which is required by this script so you should just update that script in order to use this script correctly.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh. That's possible. Thanks...I'll check when I get home :)

...which one is the latest version. I'm pretty sure I the version linked on the 1st post, seeing as it is dated November 2011.
nvm...I added the scripts on sept 2011 >.> blah
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:09:49 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nighteyes

Are there any plans on making further adjustments to this script?
I personally think it would be better as a stand alone, at least until the particle script becomes more optimized
some table values to adjust the flicker and to kill all beam canons first(so ships won't fire beams as they are blowing apart) would be handy
I also think the flicker should be kept to a minimum, not increased, 1-3 flickers and then total blackout for a few seconds before the ship splits apart

Offline m!m

I'd like to make further adjustments to the script but as I have limited time it is uncertain if I can do anything.