Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 321827 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
Here is the satellite, Lava1:

If this looks like a good substitute, I'll provide a link to the TGA in the other thread.

Holy crap. That's beautiful.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Yes, very good indeed!  :yes:
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Thanks, :).

Turnsky, your planets are beautiful. Do you use GIMP?

Here's my take at another world, this time with rings:

I used GIMP on this planet, as well. Could this be used in Warzone?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:44:51 am by m2258734a »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Pretty. :)

Nice rings!

Offline Admiral Nelson

This is great stuff.  We'll want to inventory the different systems found in Warzone and see how many of what kind of planets we can use.  This planet is certainly better than any of the standard stock planets.

For the lava world, what do you think about altering it to be only half lit.  The dark side would then be lit only by the glowing lava,which would make for quite an interesting effect.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
BUT THE LAVA PLANET IS SW33T!!!1!!!!!1!!!!!1!!1111one1!!11one1one1oneleventy

Offline Admiral Nelson

Sure it is.  I bet it might look sweeter when half lit.... :)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
*snip*

no 3d rendering whatsoever.

It looks really nice, but could stand some touch-ups.

Thanks for the compliments.

>thesizzler
As you can tell I experimented with the rings using GIMP. If you would like, assuming you use GIMP, I could explain step-by-step how I produced the ring system for my blue planet.

>Adm. Nelson
Sure, I'll make the lava planet half lit. Do you want the illumination to divide the planet in half completely, or do you want there to be some waning or waxing? Also, when should we start looking through the systems in Warzone for the number and types of planets we can use?

Offline Admiral Nelson

Well, I think that there should be enough unlit to make the lava stand out, so roughly half is probably good.

I'll go thru the missions and see which stock and custom planets were used where to see what we can use.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Aye, the lava planet looks good, but the lava must be really bright to be clearly visible under daylight area.

Might be wort experimenting what it would look like if you made just a shallow crescent of the planet lit by direct sunlight, and make the lava emission spread onto the atmosphere and dimly lit the shadow side with both the atmo and the lava glow.

I've been struggling with HD mishaps... long story short, had everything backed up and wanted to re-install Windows for reasons unimportant here, but the recovery tool decided that it liked the backup drive more and formatted it, and installed Windows on that HD... didn't lose anything *really* important, just almost all my downloads which were on the other HD along with the backups of the primary partition of the OS HD... :sigh:

Also, practically everything put here lately looks rather fine. :) I've been experimenting with methods of making a texture with craters so that they appear round all the way to the poles. Found a way, too, but haven't had the chance to actually use it to make crater-filled planet surfaces... it involves making differently sized round brushmarks on the texture at more or less random intervals, then using an edge filter of choice to make out the round edge mountains of the craters, then apply polar distortion filter to spherize the texture... it results in practically zero (or damn close to it) polar distortion when the image is wrapped on a sphere later, but it means you'll likely need to clean up the equator a bit to make the two halves fit together - that can be pretty nasty sometimes.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mad cat

Ugh, I need to look at the places I post in more regularly. Anahoo.

M22, you asked me how I do my nebulae, and to be quite honest its rediculously simple in theory but a bit tedious in practice.

I start with a black BG and a lense flare for a light source, then I take a random oval, and wave filter filter it a couple times, randomizing it untill it looks somewhat natural. I then duplicate the layer for future referance, and give it a white outline. This outline gets darkened later for colouring, and potetially has peices erased if something overlaps. I continue to repeat this process untill I have something I like, then I go onto the colouring and lighting.  Then I may or may not add a star field and some other optional eye candy, and finally, I attack it with the dodge, burn, and smudge tools to atain fancy looking details.

And for some more stuff for you too look at.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Thanks, :).

Turnsky, your planets are beautiful. Do you use GIMP?

photoshop, pure and simple, the only thing flaming pear used was the neb and the two moons, i made the texture myself.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mad cat

Huzzah for flaming pear. :P Anyway, what was the resolution on the origonal Turnsky?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Hey Mad cat, that there nebula is sweet! Wouldn't mind seeing that in game!  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mad cat

Why thank-you. :D I'll want to remove some of the star field before I let it go ingame though.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
is it avalible for ingame use yet?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
MUST...HAVE...THIS... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek2: :eek2:

Release them or I will find you and murder you in your sleep...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Considerably better than previous attempts.

can you say
:necro:?

Anyways, nice planets. and thats a good start, sizzler :nod:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.