Author Topic: Partly Released: Ikeya Campagin Demo  (Read 3626 times)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Partly Released: Ikeya Campagin Demo
If you want proof that I actualy make crap, here you go

Ikeya Campagin Demo:

Download Link: http://www.moddb.com/games/freespace-2/downloads/ikeya-campagin-demo

Enjoy  :p

Added: Forgot to mention, You'll need at least 3.6.10, Media VPs (Recommended to look nice, its not really required at all), Lightspeed Nebulas, Freespace Port 3.2, This demo contains the first 2 missions of the actual Campagin: I will add the plot later when I actualy get comments.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:17:27 pm by BTA »
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: Partly Released: Ikeya Campagin Demo
Why are Lightspeed's Nebula needed when they're included in 3.6.10? And why are you recommending 3.6.10 in the first place? 3.6.12 has been out for a long time and is much more stable. also, you fix grammar yet

Offline NeonShivan

There are the cave people who still have 3.6.10....You never know. Ether way, some people also might not beable to use Media VPs (like me) so they have to get the lightspeed nebulas sepreatly. Anyways and no I have not and please stop purposly trying to piss me off :\
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Wait, you're suggesting the 3.6.10 builds? Those are outdated no matter what rig you use. As for using Lightspeed nebulas, people can figure it out themselves instead of being recommended to use both mediavps AND those. And I'm serious about the grammar. If you're not willing to proofread, I'm not willing to struggle through the English.

Offline NeonShivan

:nono: Note to the community: Spell Check is not magical, its dependent on the user. Plus I try to make sure everything is accurately correct grammer and spelling wise. Spell check is not the magical tool that fixes every single word in the great english book from hell. Anyways, lets not get off topic about my english.....AGAIN.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
To help avoid future problems with grammar/spelling:

1)   Yes, spell check is a magical tool that fixes everything, though it is dependent on the user to an extent,  I know Chrome has one built in and IE has a plugin, and i'm sure every other browser has something (if it doesn't have one built in, search for a plugin/extension, it is well worth the 30 seconds it will take to Google it)

2)   If the above doesn't work, run your post through a word document, its spell checker will try to correct grammar too and for long posts helps more then one would think

3)   Reread what you type before you post, this helps get the wording right as well, along with catching errors in an argument

This post was:
spell checked: 15+ times
reread: 3 times
changed to better be understood: 2 times
(it really does help, and the effort goes a long way)

please note no trolling is involved here, just some advice from a fellow grammar challenged poster

i will also try the campaign, though don't expect too good of feedback as i don't test very often
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Nuclear1

Alright...here we go.  I'll start with the good:
Spoiler:
Everything worked fine, no show-stopping bugs or FRED errors. 

It shows at least a decent grasp on how things work in FRED.  Not bad for a newbie.

Now, for where there needs improvement:
Spoiler:
Mission Difficulty:
--Way too heavily-balanced in favor of the player.  I shouldn't be able to assign one full wing per bomber and still have wingmen left to handle the Shivan fighters. 
--Having enemy fighters start out 10+ klicks from my position, without a good reason like a subspace distortion or a scout wing, is just annoying.
--Overall, it just felt like I wasn't really needed.  Missions should try to find a good balance between use of wingmen and getting the player involved.  Too much of either is frustrating.

Spelling/gramm--eh, nevermind....

Overall thoughts:
--This, honestly, just felt like two utterly generic missions that could be spliced into any campaign.  There's nothing there (besides the briefings) to make it your own.  It's all stuff we've seen before.  But for a first FRED attempt, it's not bad.  Just keep working at it. :)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
my review:

Spoiler:
Mission 1:
The Wolf could use a time delay after all the shivans are gone (15-30 seconds?)
The Shivan reinforcements could arrive a bit sooner, i had cleared everything before they arrived

Mission 2:
The dragons jump in a bit far to be much of a threat

In general:
I personaly think the breifings could be cut down a few pages, though others like it the way it is
Please move the wingmen jump in point away from player a bit, insta-ram from (Alpha 2?) in both missions
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Enzo03

Well, it IS better than my absolute first FREDding attempt, in that you actually do something that makes some sense and then you leave when the job is done. I would have to say that releasing this like its some big deal... well, I wouldn't have done that. But oh well.
Now some of the ugly stuff.
Spoiler:
1) At the end of the first level.. I think I just ordered the relief wing to jump out. O_o You should go to those wings, and set them so that they cannot take orders from the player, because it's very unrealistic for a wing to say "you're relieved of guard duty, you can return to base", and then you turn around and tell them to return to base... Try to avoid doing this. It's funny to do it though!
2) For such small missions as these are, do we really need lots and lots and lots of fighters protecting one Fenris, or a small convoy? I'd say you could cut the number of fighters in half, which makes it more of a challenge.  It also helps with the minimalism policy you see in the vanilla campaigns; you want to be as efficient as possible, so you use only what is needed to get the job done.
Remember the first mission of FS1? It was only you and one veteran pilot doing all the work against several wings of Vasudans.
As for the Shivan numbers, they're fine as they are, although a small increase wouldn't hurt.
For example in the second mission, take away a wing or two. This could have the potential of making the player have to make important tactical decisions regarding convoy defense.  The mission becomes that much cooler just from taking away some Terran fighters.
Of course, this is really just a recommendation..
3) The second mission was the worse of the two, and here's why and what you can do to make it better:
-Your wingmen always collide with your ship at the start of this mission.  You never want to hear the ship scraping sound coming from wingmen when its NOT a result of their stupidity (they fly into each other and the player all the time), and is only because thy were placed too close to each other.  Always always always try to avoid this!  Not only is is annoying to lose health because of a level design mistake, but... well personally, I would say its a sign of a crappy mission - it's like first impressions when you're doing a job interview!  I wouldn't say your mission is crappy though: simply move the player ship a bit away from the others and it should be fine, but it also wouldn't hurt to go and spread them out a bit from now on.
-The speed of the Faustus and the rest of the convoy - why are they different? I end up with a good 2-3 km gap in between them, and for such an easy mission, that really isn't a good way to increase difficulty unless there is a logical explanation.  But really it would be best to make sure they move at the same speed as they run their waypoints.
-The Shivan spawn points - From the looks of it, you placed all the Shivan spawn points pretty well, as they close in on the convoy from several sides, but there is one main problem: they are placed WAY too far away. The SF Dragons have the worst of it, warping in 15 km behind the convoy. Only the first wave is of any danger at all.  I ordered all pilots to warp out after the first Shiva wave and the Faustus warped out when wave 2 was 6 km away.  I decided to wait it out and take them both on, only to find that another wave spawns another 15-16km away I decided I wasn't going to chase or wait for them, it would be a waste of time. I warped out and got my CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE debrief (well, it didn't say that of course but I was done :P).
-The fact that Shivans also warped in 7 km to the side also annoyed me. It gave me more than enough time to group up my 348592751470 wingmates and tell each of them what to do. One by one.  So I suggest that these Shivans warp in no farther than 2 km away from the convoy.  I also suggest that Shiva wing spawn 12-13km ahead of where you have them spawning now, given how late they end up spawning. Add one fighter to each wing of Shivans to make it more challenging, too, although you should try it with just bringing them closer before doing that.
4) Lastly as a mere suggestion, it's the first Great War, right? At one point, please bring in Vasudans.
 :headz:
OHGODWHAT I didn't think it'd be that long... oh well.

Now I'm sure if you take this stuff in mind, then these and future missions can actually be pretty good.  However, they are a bit generic, and it's nothing we haven't seen before.  Of course, every campaign has stuff we haven't seen before, so don't worry about it too much.
You do show that you have the basic skills to make a playable mission.  Build upon them and who knows, you'll maybe make some fantastic levels later on.

To tell the truth, you've kinda already shown a better FRED level than I have ever put on HLP, since I simply... well.. haven't :P
You do not want to see the first FRED mission I thought I was proud of XD
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Nuclear1

:nono: Note to the community: Spell Check is not magical, its dependent on the user. Plus I try to make sure everything is accurately correct grammer and spelling wise. Spell check is not the magical tool that fixes every single word in the great english book from hell. Anyways, lets not get off topic about my english.....AGAIN.
No one mentioned spelling and grammar.  If you don't want a thread going off track on it, then don't open yourself up to people responding to posts like these (i.e. don't make them).

If you really need help with spellchecking a campaign, for God's sake, just PM me and ask for help.  It's nothing more than an hour out of my day at the most, and I love doing it so people don't have problems like this. 

And, voila!  Spelling/grammar fixed, and even fixed a few of the other bugs.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline NeonShivan

Well thank you for the...interesting feeback, I will go to you Nuclear for spelling and grammar. By the way, I never expected my campaign to be anything good like Derelict or anything among those lines. I just make them for fun :)

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Nuclear1

Well thank you for the...interesting feeback, I will go to you Nuclear for spelling and grammar. By the way, I never expected my campaign to be anything good like Derelict or anything among those lines. I just make them for fun :)

That's the reason we all do it. :)  You'll get better, you just need practice.  My first few attempts at FRED were horrendous.  Best recommendation I can give is to encourage you to look at what others have done, and if you want to do something similar, learn from that.  Open up other missions in FRED, pick them apart, and learn how it's done. :)

Offline NeonShivan

heh, that's what I did with 1 derelict mission a long time ago to figure out how they made it well (I believe it was the last mission). But I remember my first fredding attempts on freespace 1 (long before I heard of HLP), I bet my experience was worse then yours because I was self teaching myself. It took me a few days to get the hang of everything.

Added: I cant see everyones little "spoilers" when it was "my" campaign their talking about lol. Nevermind, I can see them now...was too lazy to highlight them :)

P.S: No its not the great war, its a year after it. I'll add a little plot line to the topic so people get a general idea on what the hell they are playing ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:49:51 am by BTA »

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Haven't played, but judging from the comments, you could use "near ship" or "in front of ship" in the warp-in cues to make the Shivans jump pretty much exactly where you want them.

Offline NeonShivan

Thank you for your comments :)

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh