Author Topic: Freespace inter-game coordination for campaigns...  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Freespace inter-game coordination for campaigns...
Lengthy title for a simple subject :)

Anyways, I'm writing a campaign right now, and I have a lot of inside-the-ship sections. Of course, with the way Freespace is now, we would have to use cutscenes to convey this, but I was just thinking: what if, say, we modded another game to the FS-style, and then added a link in the FS source code to launch the game mod. For instance, in the code, it would be like: after cutscene, close FS2.exe, open ___.exe, and it would spool up the mod.

Good/bad idea? or just stick to cutscenes? :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Good Idea in theory, but it'd run into the problem of being forced to be the same game all the time, meaning you'd severely cut back your potential campaign audience. Also, I'm not sure how it'd react to different filepaths looking for the exe - you'd need to have FS2 ask for it before the game loads...

And of course we don't have a FS mod for any FPSes any more, since the demise of the FS FPS project, which doesn't help - unless you were planning on doing one? ;7
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
I was thinking bout one for Half life 2... Im not gonna lead it tho..
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

mmm, well, it would be possible, but i think it would be hell on earth to code, and switching would take a lot of time, shuttind own FS2, and loading the new game, plus mission loading time.

i'd say 2 min atleast, at a top rate system, i'd give you over 5 for a lower end system
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Well, if you didn't have the game, I guess you could select a little option in the installation screen: "No, I don't have ___ game, install the full-length cutscene instead of the mod" or "Yes, I do have the game, install the mod" or both the full cutscene and a mod.

If they didn't have the game that is to be used for the mod, a full-length cutscene would be installed, showing the details of what would happen if you played it through in the mod.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Sounds cool. :yes: The FPS bits would be kinda AvP-style, except messier...;7
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Just interestingly - what game would you mod? I'd suggest Half Life, given its massive availability, ease of modding and community size, even if it is a bit dated.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
or... one could see how far one could push the fs2 engine.. ;)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------