Author Topic: What Is Your Most Favourite Misson/Level From Any Game  (Read 12250 times)

What Is Your Most Favourite Misson/Level From Any Game
As the title says.

Personally mine is between two:

First is Arnhem Knights from Medal of Honor Frontline. This mission is amazing in every facet, from the scenery of war-torn Arnhem, fighting in the streets and saving Kelso's men and most of all the music. The track for this song still sends shivers down my spine. I remember the first time we got to this level it took us (me and my brothers) forever to get past it just because it was such at hard level, still is challenging although once you work out the perks it is fairly easy to get through.

My second would be End of the Line from GTA San Andreas. It was just cool and memorable. The gunfights were fun and the drive-by sequence was awesome, I always kept a save spot just so I could keep replaying this mission.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Re: What Is Your Most Favourite Misson/Level From Any Game
The Ultimate Heist from Oblivion (i.e. the last mission of the Thieves Guild).

It's probably by far the longest mission in the game, where you use every single item you acquired throughout the Thieves Guild campaign to solve some neat puzzles, enter the most heavily guarded building in Tamriel, acquire (and see) for the first time in the series an actual Elder Scroll, and then proceed to escape. It's a fun mission probably because of the high "Holy **** Quotient".

Also good is StarCraft's Brood Wars secret mission, Dark Origin for story related purposes.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hostile Waters, fighting your way out of the docks after you first start encountering the mutated 'super-units'.

Whilst not exceptional for any specific reason, I always remember that mission as being a brilliant example of just how much fun you could have with that game :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
 - D1M1 from Doom - Played the hell out of that mission in the Shareware version to the point that I can still remember the layout despite not playing it for years

Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I thought a lot about this one, and having spent most of my childhood on the Descent series, I think I'll have to go with Descent 3, Level 2 - Rescuing Dr. Sweitzer.
Always thought it was an intricate and fun level to play.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Unreal, The Trench & ISV Kran levels (I count them all at once because they were technically meant to be one big level in beta.) The reek atmospheeeeeeeeeeeeeere. And Skaarj.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'll be boring and say The Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts.  "I am on the road crew.  Here is my sign."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'll be even more boring and say "Everything is Permitted" from Blue Planet: War in Heaven.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Deck 16.

Alternatively, Mission 4 in Freelancer. You know the one, where the entire Liberty Navy turns on you as soon as you launch.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Lorric

This is like asking me to choose my favourite leaf on a tree! :lol:

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
My candidates:

1. Chapters 4 ("Monsters") and 5 ("There and Back Again") of The Longest Journey, where you go on a long trek through the Northlands and become best friends with a Crow, a very easily amused talking bird, rescue the magical mole people from the Gribbler, and, finally, take down the evil wizard Roper Klacks (who as April comments, sounds like Richard the Third on crack) and release the wind he trapped by imprisoning him in a calculator after failing to beat him at hopscotch. Not even The Princess Bride was that hilarious and magical.

2. The Mage Towers mission from Thief. Such a massive level and yet easy to navigate, so many nooks and crannies and secrets, and in the towers of each of the four elements they really show off what the Dark Engine was (and still is) capable of doing with lighting and sound. Return to the Cathedral is probably the greater feat of level design, but the Mage Towers was the most fun.

3. The Shalebridge Cradle, from Thief III. I refuse to believe that this level did not literally kill people by heart attacks. The first half of the level has lots of BOO moments but no actual enemies, as you start to piece together the real history of the place. As you enter the Inner Cradle, right as you realize the level designer has been manipulating you, the scares get replaced by real terror as you run into these guys. Imagine all the fear from the entirety of System Shock 2 compressed into one level.

4. The Opera Sequence from FFVI. Well duh.

Other honorable mentions:

Deus Ex - where you infiltrate the Versalife Headquarters and destroy the Grey Death nanovirus. I actually think Deus Ex was overrated compared to the other games in its genre, but that mission was amazing from start to finish.

KOTOR - Korriban. I played lightside and double-crossed both Yuthura and Uthar. After Yuthura and I took down Uthar together she was completely blindsided by my betrayal when she started to feel the effects of the poison I had given her. I easily overpowered her, revealed to her, now begging for her life, that I was Revan, and let her live. That tops the "making the player feel like a Machiavellian baddass" scale.

The dream sequence in the Skein in Mask of the Betrayer. Such a beautifully written sequence. Imagine Restless from Buffy in video game form.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:47:49 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

I'll be even more boring and say "Everything is Permitted" from Blue Planet: War in Heaven.

I was going to put down a BP mission (I would have to think a lot though cause there were so many good ones!), but I decided that if you're posting here you probably already consider the FS campaigns and such to be memorable missions/levels/campaigns.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
This is like asking me to choose my favourite leaf on a tree! :lol:

Agreed. I just can't answer this question!
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Luis Dias

Campgrounds.

Turtle Rock.

Nemesis.

Offline watsisname

Oh geez, so many to choose from.  But, from my childhood, I have to go with Descent just for being so memorable:

Descent:  Level 14 (Europa CO2 mine)
Starts you off in a tiny, dimly lit and empty room, while quiet, eerie music plays, slowly intensifying.  You have no clue what lies behind that door in front of you, lurking in the vast labyrinthine darkness of the mines, but you know it's not going to be good.  This is the largest, most complex map in the game, full of nasty enemies and challenging corridors.  Brilliant level design with a brilliant opener -- this one mission portrays everything about Descent's psychological effect.

In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Descent:  Level 14 (Europa CO2 mine)

I enjoyed Level 10 of that game more than any other. Maybe it was the music. Maybe it was because it was the first time you got the Fusion Cannon. Maybe it was because it's where you found the first secret level. Actually, Secret Level 1 was my other favourite.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Goldeneye - Dam (though about half the levels could be my favorite on any given day)

Descent II - level 1 (especially while using cheats to get all weapons)

Halo - Silent Cartographer

C&C Generals Zero Hour - Dr. Thrax general's challenge

Zelda OOT - Gerudo Valley (again, about half the dungeons/areas could be at the top of my list)

Far Cry - don't know the name/number of the level, but the one where you blow up the three jamming towers and the freighter.

Left off freespace because there's not really standout levels to me, but both entire games were all-time favorites.  FS1 probably has more play time than anything else I've ever played.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:34:38 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline watsisname

Actually, Secret Level 1 was my other favourite.

/opens door
RRRRRRRRRRGGRHHGHGHHH  *great big purple blobs fly at you*
/shuts door
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I can't really do favourites, but I can definitely do ones I will never forget

Like Descent - Level One
Pitfall: Mayan Adventure - Level One
Earthworm Jim - Level One

Although if I had to do a favourite... Zelda OoT - Spirit Temple
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Assault On The Control Room, from the original Halo, is up there.

So is Good Luck from FS1 for the first time I did it having gone ridiculously, incredibly well as a perfect run with my wingmen roflstomping everything at my command while I delivered payload on target.

...I'm probably going to go with World In Conflict's post-Cascade Falls level, Aftermath, as a final answer. This is primarily because it was the first time I was given access to so much of the tactical support of the game, and definitely the first time I recall seeing a B-52 roaring in to sterilize the target area in any game. It probably better captured the feeling that the player was not alone than any other RTS/RTT I'd played to that time when you had so much supporting fire raining down.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story